1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer snob stories

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 5thOhio, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (525) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

Ten Dollars a pint? Is that what we have to look forward to here?
  2. One time I was recommended a beer that was gluten-free.
    That person can no longer recommend me brews.
    MaxOhle and vacax like this.
  3. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

Ha, I've thought the same thing... no one better see me w/ a giant ol' box of (insert icky beer name here).

honestly, when I'm out, I almost never have a beer... I go for cocktails. Most restaurants make watery or fake cocktails too... (ex: pina colada or margarita mix) Then I order a coffee.
  4. They dug themselves into that hole.
    JohnnyMc, vertigelt1 and JulianB like this.
  5. If it's a party, bring your own beer and your own glass, ignore the snickering, and enlighten that one person who's interested in what you've brought. If it's a little bar with a bad beer selection and ridiculously overpriced liquor, just roll with it and drink BMC. I mean, it's beer.
    obrike likes this.
  6. Buffalo Wild Wings should stop touting their beer bar, at least around here in NJ.

I also got a Widmer's (Hefeweizen though) second to last time I went. Got served a bottle with no glass. Asked politely for a glass, and got a pint glass. The rest of my party got Sam Adams perfect pint glasses (which I would at least prefer), but the table next to us got hefeweizen glasses for Bud Lite. HUH?

And the last time I went I got a Blue Moon Winter Abbey (wanted to try it). Again, in a pint glass, which was ok for the style, but they rimmed the glass with powdered chocolate!!! WHAT NOW?! I wanted to taste the beer, not only the chocolate during every sip. Tenfold worse than serving a wheat beer with a orange or other fruit. I drank it b/c it was on special for 2 bucks a pint, but I would have refused it at full price.
  7. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (525) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

on the same note, ever bump into someone at a bar that you know from elsewhere and glance down at what they are drinking and if it's that crappy beer color you think "well I guess this isn't a pal for me" and kind of roll your eyes.
    Duff27 and mychalg9 like this.
  8. fritts211

fritts211 Savant (285) Tennessee Feb 19, 2011

No, I think it makes you a psychopath :)
    vertigelt1 and kpodolanko like this.
  9. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

Exactly this! how can you say you like beer if you will turn down one that doesn't meet your standards which most people probably lack. If someone hands me a beer I'm gonna drink it. I will never enjoy Miller like I do BCBS but if your hungry and you go to a restaurant or a party at a friends house would you turn down the food because it wasn't certified organic?
    BDEE, JxExM and herrburgess like this.
  10. I am convinced that I am as far from snob as possible. With so many options from so many places I am willing to try most anything. My family and friends that only drink BMC will only ever drink BMC, no matter how many great beers I offer them.

Side note, the owner of my local shop seemed legitimately concerned that I bought 12 of a BMC for family that is coming to visit. He listed all of the beers that they were getting in later today and called a distributor when I asked for something. It felt good to have someone care about my drinking habits, although I suspect he was more worried that I was going to start spending $12 a week instead of $50.
    JxExM likes this.
  11. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Bugs318, oregone, JxExM and 2 others like this.
  12. I will not give up my "well-brewed" craft beer until they peel my cold, dead fingers from around it.
    Bitter_Echo likes this.
  13. Mark

Mark Advocate (585) California Jun 18, 2001

Why does a discriminating beer drinker have to be called a snob? I wouldn't have enjoyed the selection either, though maybe Bass would have done. I too most likely would have passed as well. it's not being a snob, it's being true to your wants, likes and dislikes. Luckily I like Negra Modelo just enough or I wouldn't drink when in Mexico.
  14. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

I won't ever turn down a free beer but I sure as shit won't spend $4 on swill at a bar just because it's the only beer option.
  15. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I always pick the best available option on draught. Luckily for me New Glarus spotted cow is in just about every bar in WI. I can't imagine ever going to a bar and not finding something I could drink beer or otherwise.
  16. True story:

(Disclaimer: this was after a long night of drinking free BMC on a party bus and both parties were simply trying to authenticate their points to the best of their abilities whilst intoxicated. No parties were harmed in the making of this conversation.)

Huge Redneck Drunk Guy: What is that? Are you drinking a Miller Lite?
    Smaller Drunk Me: Yea?
    Guy: Why don't you drink a real man's beer like Bud Light?
    Me: Why is that a real man's beer?
    Guy: Because, everyone knows Bud Light has more taste!
    Me: I don't know, I just like Miller Lite better.
    Guy: So you're saying you're better than me?
    Me: No, dude, I normally don't even drink this shit. I prefer darker stouts or...
    Guy: Oh, you're too good for this beer, you really DO think you're better than me?
    Me: No, man, I just mean there are different styles that I like better and... (looks to others for help at the table)
    Guy: But you don't like Bud Light?
    Me: Well, it's okay, I guess...
    Guy: Oh my god! This guy doesn't like Bud Light! You know, maybe we need to take this outside?
    Me: ...I don't think I want to take it outside.
    Guy: Then why aren't you drinking a Bud Light?!
    Me: (Pondering logic of previous statement) I mean, I'll drink a Bud Light if you want to buy me one.
    Guy: (To waitress) Hey! Get this guy a Bud Light!
    Me: (Drinks Bud Light)
    Guy: See!? Isn't that fucking good?
    Me: Mmm hmm...

And that's how I got a free Bud Light in lieu of getting my ass kicked over a paid for Miller Lite. That's also how I learned that not all beer drinkers enjoy discussing the many varieties of beer.
    Edhel, layinbrix, Bugs318 and 29 others like this.
  17. i always find this interesting, every time i read in a thread where a patron is given a dirty look/roll of the eyes/some other expression of annoyance from a waitress, bartender etc for something like this. i think being ignorant about certain customs in a niche like craft beer is fairly understandable, but to also be ignorant about what generates a healthy tip? (i.e. openly scoffing at your clientele = probably not the best idea)
    BleepBloopBlap likes this.
  18. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

If people show an interest in beer, but appear to have limited knowledge about it, to the point where they might be unaware of the fact that there are other stouts out there other than Guinness, I'd just take the discussion down to their level. Even if the level of interest is unevenly divided between the two people talking, and one of them knows more about the subject than the other, there is still room for a conversation as long as there is an effort and interest from both parties. As long as it doesn't become a monolouge from one side with an avalanche of information and details that will only end up causing confusion, there's an opportunity there to both learn and to educate, as well as to socialize.

One problem here might be the fact that people who are interested in beer have a reputation to uphold, as people who are knowledgable about beer or have experience when it comes to beer. If they let go of the high-level discussions for a moment, they might risk appearing to be less knowledgable than they actually are infront of others and this might hold someone back from engaging in a topic on the level of the other person in this scenario. I know this is the case with me when discussing not only beer but other topics that interest me (and I'm not saying it applies to you, I'm simply picking up on something in your post which I found resonated with thoughts that I've had).

I don't think anyone enjoys being lectured to by others on something they already know (because they didn't preface their reply with their full "resume of knowledge"), or come off as ignorant because they chose to focus on a particular detail or part of an issue without referencing the larger body of knowledge. You can't wear your level of knowledge on your sleeves, and you can't preface every conversation by holding a monolouge about your experiences and knowledge in this or that particular field. A workable approach here might be conditional humility, I'll hold off from lecturing as long as I don't get lectured back. This way you can prod the level of interest of the person you are talking to and feel comfortable with discussing a shared interest albeit from different vantage points. This is of course dependent on there being an interest on your part to discuss beer in this way, at some point it can get repetitive of course and it is understandable if a person doesn't want to have the same conversation over and over (such as talking to lots of people about their love for Guinness in light beer-Guinness binary terms).
    jgluck and vertigelt1 like this.
  19. ledzeppelin4

ledzeppelin4 Savant (365) Illinois May 18, 2011

Everytime someone tells me that they love Corona and it's the best, I have to ask them, have you ever had it without the lime? Or when people say that Guinness (Draught) is so thick and strong, I respond with, "It's very watery and has about as much alcohol as a light beer."
  20. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

As a female (especially in Wyoming, where the craft beer scene hasn't really hit yet), I often get funny looks for my beer preferences. I'm at a point where I hardly want "a drink" if it's not a good beer. Martinis, margaritas, shots, cheap beer, etc are just so unappealing to me. I would truly rather drink water, and I'd drink it happily. It's not about getting a buzz to me; I drink beer because I love good beer. The only exceptions to this are 1) a glass of wine with the right meal and 2) gin and tonics. God, I love a Tanqueray and tonic on a hot summer evening. All that said, I wouldn't say I'm a beer snob. I'm still fairly elementary in my beer-drinking pursuits, and I couldn't care less what somebody else drinks for enjoyment or for a good time. I will not look down my nose at you for drinking Busch Light if you don't look down your nose at me for drinking water instead of Busch Light.

Anyways, I have a recent incident that I suppose might indicate an element of beer snobbery.

I'm a fairly girly tomboy. Look at me, and you assume I'm a sundress-wearing, martini-drinking, Gossip Girls-watching, typical girly girl. But I can skin a deer, ride a motorcycle, and drink a brew with the rest of the guys. I'm frequently underestimated, lol. Well I went on an elk hunting trip this fall with two male acquaintances. I had been inadvertently insulted all day (everything from them trying to carry my rifle to suggesting I couldn't make the easy open 300 yard shot to offering to field dress my cow elk). After a successful hunt with two cow elk down, we stopped by the bar (that has a very limited but decent beer selection). I excused myself to the restroom, and upon my return, there was the fruitiest looking drink I'd just about ever laid eyes upon. It looked like heartburn in a glass. The guy said it was a pineapple upsideown cake or something or other. I took a sip, thanked him, and ordered a local microbrew for myself as soon as the bartender came to ask how we were doing. Which I drank heartily in celebration of my kill. The guy was, in a word, offended. That was not my intention, but I'm not going to pollute my body with and consume the calories of something that's foul. I appreciated the gesture, but I just couldn't choke it down...not worth it. Both guys were drinking Coors Light.
    Edhel, FrancoCozzo, Bugs318 and 16 others like this.
  21. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

I can usually find something worth drinking at most places. Beer is alcohol and can be quite a few calories, (duh). And if I'm going to partake, I must like it. I like what I like and if that's a snob, so be it.
    FrancoCozzo likes this.
  22. when people come over and see my prominently displayed 1992 Crazy Horse 40's aged in Grape Mad Dog 20/20 barrels, they know they are dealing with an aficionado.
  23. TheSack

TheSack Aficionado (120) Michigan Jan 11, 2013

Living in a fraternity house and always getting irritated with people for drinking 30 racks of Hamm's or Natural Light...
  24. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

That's called respect. Or intimidation. I'm not sure which.

Dope
    slim2043, jgluck and ficklenicholas like this.
  25. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Wow, I would have crapped my pants.

Politely.

Dope
    craigo19 and dsal89 like this.
  26. Said with pinky extended and a posh PseudoBritish accent ala frasier from cheers (and uh Frasier)... "I only like beer if I put a spoon in it and it dissolves!"
    slim2043 likes this.
  27. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (800) New York Dec 13, 2009

i bring glasses out too, but mostly to tastings. at friends' places, i politely ask for a bulbous wine glass or ask to see my options. more than a few times i've pulled a few glasses from their cabinet, poured a beer into a few different and showed my host the difference a glass can make...occasionally the host will agree, but not often. quite similar to back in the day playing a tape vs a cd to someone, it is amazing how some people really just don't notice differences in some things that seem glaringly obvious to others.

the ironic part is that i will rarely send food back if there is a problem, but if the wait staff brings me a frosted glass...you bet i'm asking for something else.
    jgluck, Zach136 and dsal89 like this.
  28. The only time I've ever felt like a beer snob was when I was at a bar with a "Large" selection. I asked for an IPA and they offered Alexander Keith's, and I told them that it's not technically an IPA. Felt like a snob, but what can I say, I wanted my hops.
    Bugs318 and vertigelt1 like this.
  29. JxExM

JxExM Savant (470) New York Mar 5, 2012

aww
  30. A friend made a post about going on a beer run and wanted to get some Becks or St Pauli's Girl and how he loves good German beer. I said "Becks and St Paulis girl are both owned by InBev/Anheuser-Busch. Give Ayinger, Paulaner, Spaten etc. a shot!". It was on impulse, but looking at it now, it sounds kind of snobby.
  31. I went to Buffalo Wild Wings once was not impressed by the food. They did have some DFH.

But I have not gone back. And won't since the homebrewer commerical
    BDEE, slim2043, WoodburyMN and 2 others like this.
  32. Tut

Tut Savant (390) New York Sep 23, 2004

It's not snobby - you simply suggested getting better beer.
  33. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Never drink juice, eat candy, or slurp down a milkshake.
  34. mactrail

mactrail Champion (765) Washington Mar 24, 2009

I'd go for the stubby of BC Cider. You did bring a couple in your coat pockets, didn't ye?
  35. i had a guy ask me at the bar, after going through our line up at the time- Olde Hickory Event Horizon, Lagunitas Day Time, Stone Sublimely, Foothills Torch Pils, Founders Porter and Ballast Point Sculpin. in full detail, after asking him what he liked and making a suggestion to sufice which was torch pils because he said he likes something " lite" he said to me " you mean you aint got no domestics?" i replied, sir they all are domestics!! i probably should have been more hospitable...
  36. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Amen, G&T's are just so legit. Although I would have to add Whiskey/Bourbon to that list. I recently found myself forced out to some new dipshit club here in Boston, and after having a wholly unsatisfactory beer selection I found myself on the G&T train to happy town
  37. Spaten is InBev...
    CORKSCREWFISH and Providence like this.
  38. HoosierBrew

HoosierBrew Disciple (70) Indiana Jan 12, 2013

I can relate to this. I simply tell them to fuck off and then crack open the real beer I brought with me. Is that snobbish?
    jgluck and Psychmusic like this.
  39. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

I remember the first time I had Alexander Keith's. I was on a business trip to Vancouver and having dinner with some people I met there. After tasting it I called the waitress back over and asked her if she brought me the wrong beer because it didn't taste like an IPA. She said she brought me what I ordered and one of the Canadian guys I was with explained to me that that's what Alexander Keith's tastes like and it's not like a real IPA. I guess you live and you learn.
    Bugs318 likes this.