1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer snob stories

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 5thOhio, Jan 16, 2013.

1. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

My B-Dubs generally has Torpedo so I'm good for my once a year patronage.

2. I went to wedding at a hotel in October. My girlfriend and decided to get a room. So i brought a bunch of bottles and kept them in my room. It was long before i brought them to my table at the reception. Bitch's Brew, Kern River 5th anniversary, Kern River Pumpkin Ale. Everyone at my table was loving it, but i did get some "looks" from people.

3. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

Beer Snobs: Those who bitch about frosted glasses.

4. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

*sniff* That brought a tear to my eye...

darky, Arodnum1 and ficklenicholas like this.
  5. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (300) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

Regardless of the restaurant, I can pretty much always get either Guinness, Allagash White, or Boston Lager around here. If I go to a party and they have Coors Light, I'll drink Coors Light. I'm not paying for it. Once in a while I'll bring beer to a party, but I'll usually grab something that I think others will enjoy like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and bring enough to share. I'm in to craft beer, but my tongue isn't going to shrivel up and die if my friend hands me a BMC.

6. I went to grab a couple cases of Nugget Nectar at Troegs yesterday and when I saw that cases were dated 1/8/13 I got angry that they weren't fresher. Then immediately afterwards I got mad at myself for turning my nose up at 8 day old nugget nectar and proceeded to buy 2 cases.

7. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

I bartend at a very corporate chain restaurant with one of the most appalling beer selections ever and we are located in the current beer city usa (6 handles- bud light, coors light, miller lite, bud, sam boston, blue moon). I can honestly say I constantly remind the patrons of the bar that our beer is shit.

luwak likes this.
  8. Accurate observations; wood read again

9. I don't understand how bringing craft beer and a nice glass to a party could be considered snobbery, unless you are not planning to share any of the beer even if someone wants to try some. I always bring good beer to any social gathering I go to where drinking is on the agenda, and liberally give out pours to anyone who asks regardless of what they brought.

Zach136, obrike and vertigelt1 like this.
  10. Well, I suppose I'm not a very good snob.

obrike, RoninTK3 and Hanzo like this.
  11. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

You're not alone. I do prefer a little salt on mine though.

12. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

I don't know man. If I really, absolutely had to, I think I could probably choke down a pint glass (with or without salt). Coors light on the other hand....

mfl620ks likes this.
  13. premierpro

premierpro Savant (315) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I told a Bar Keeper that they should not serve Ale's in a frozen glass. I was asked."What is the difference!" I quess this makes me a snob!

14. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

You technically shouldn't serve lagers in a frozen glass either. :D

15. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

My local BWW just added Southern Tier 2x IPA, which is a nice improvement over the Guinness/Newcastle/adjunct lager options from before.

luwak likes this.
  16. Yes, it's confusing when your best way of making good money is to get good tips. Being rude to patrons doesn't usually have that end result.

acevenom likes this.
  17. johzac

johzac Aficionado (100) Colorado Nov 20, 2011

Guilty! I'll go so far as to scope the boxes available when I'm making my purchase & request a specific box from the cashier. I try to get the rarer, big beer boxes if they have them. Personally, I dont think the cashiers really care, to them a box is a box.

If I'm making a mix six, I'll try to grab the "best" six pack holder available, from a brewery I respect and typically a beer I like.

Further, after I get home, I use the boxes to house homebrew bottles that closest resemble that particular beer style (IPAs homebrews go in the Ruination box, Pumpkin homebrews go in the DFH Punkin). I dont know if that's just being OCD, extremely geeky or a snob. It works for me.

mfl620ks, Moutstainz, Zach136 and 4 others like this.
  18. I have asked the waitress to bring the unopened bottle to the table so I could see the date before it was opened. Good move. The Lagunitas IPA was over 6 months old. I got a few pissed off looks from the staff.

I walked out of a bar I go to a lot after being brought a really old Lagintas Pils om tap. Went down the street to the local Pizza/Brew pub and had a great meal and everyone came over after they ate at the other bar. I got a lot of Shit for that move.

Enjoy

afrokaze, pjeagles and jgluck like this.
  19. Bringing craft beer is fine, bringing your own glass is a little presumptuous. If you're going to a tasting party, then by all means bring your own glass. Otherwise, most people have glassware and if they don't, there are usually plastic cups available. Worse comes to worst, you can drink your beer from the bottle, which is usually fine as long as you're not reviewing a new beer.

I think the snobby part comes with only wanting to drink what you brought, and only out of your own glassware...

jimcivis likes this.
  20. djaeon

djaeon Champion (755) California Oct 2, 2006

Haha,
    I do this too! Whoever I'm with usually think's I'm a weirdo, lol.

21. TheSack

TheSack Aficionado (120) Michigan Jan 11, 2013

I ordered a Torpedo IPA at a restaurant, but the waitress gave me their Pale Ale instead. NOT HOPPY ENOUGH!

22. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

I think labels such as Beer Snob, Beer Geek and Beer Nerd are as atrocious as a lukewarm mug full of flat, watery Michelob Golden Draft Light.

23. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (490) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

I usually bring my own glassware, but Im also usually bringing the beer, so I can throw in a glass with the equipment (corny keg, co2 tank, etc). With some exceptions, most of my friends dont have ENOUGH glassware so I figure by bringing my own it means everyone can get decent glassware and its one less for the hosts to have to wash.

vertigelt1 likes this.
  24. Tut

Tut Savant (425) New York Sep 23, 2004

Really??
    Exactly why is it "snobby" to ask for an unchilled glass? Complaining about bars that serve craft beer in chilled glasses to others on this site isn't snobby either.
    Your attitude is stupid.

25. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,110) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

IMHO, this is hardly what I would call snobbery. You're an educated consumer and you put your knowledge to good use.

I'll even go you one better.

A certain outstanding restaurant in Portland Oregon (one that really should have known better) has bottles of pliny on the menu. I was surprised and so I asked to look at one of the bottles (I didn't indicate I planned to buy a bottle). The bottle was some 7 or 8 months old, making it probably the oldest bottle of pliny I'd ever seen. I just laughed when I saw that, and pointed it out to the bartender. I'm fairly sure the bartender was as embarrassed as I was outraged, but he just shrugged, noted that was what they had, and put it back in the cold box.

IMHO, you absolutely need to call BS on establishments pulling this sort of nonsense, or they'll go right on doing it.

26. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) California Dec 10, 2011

BA is super cerial.

27. More specifically Single Malt Scotch Whiskey.

teal and tectactoe like this.
  28. Even more specifically... Lagavulin 16YR Whisky...

That is all.

29. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

AngusOg and Pittsky like this.
  30. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I notice at the brew pub I frequent a lot of these little petite girls ordering porters and stouts while their boy friends are drinking Schlitz or something. It's a great thing in my book when an overly masculine guy can be taken down a peg or two by the gender he so desperately try's to impress with his masculinity. Especially when said individual is too chicken to drink the darker brews. To me its a sign of "insignificant genitalia" as Les Claypool likes to say.

Zach136 and acevenom like this.
  31. stealth

stealth Advocate (555) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Is it beer snobbery to say 'take the fucking whiskey and bourbon talk to their respective forums/sites and keep it out of the beer snob thread'?

Horbar, Dope, GoGators and 6 others like this.
  32. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Isn't it pretty easy not being a snob?

Just sayin....

Carry on...

33. BILF

BILF Advocate (715) Israel Jan 9, 2010

Last week I saw a guy at the bar take an exagerated sniff of his glass of Beck's and told him he was having a lend of himself if he seriously thought that it was necessary to smell Beck's.

Zach136 likes this.
  34. Squatchito

Squatchito Savant (250) Virginia Dec 6, 2007

I was at a CPK a while back to grab lunch with my mom. Three taps, according to the menu they have Budweiser, Miller Lite and "Regional Selection." The waitress comes by and asks if we would like any drinks, I ask what the regional selection is.

"Stella Artois," she replies.

I simply said I'd have a water. She asked if I was sure, my mom, looking bewildered, says "you don't want a beer?"

"Nah, just water, thanks."

Stayed polite and calm on the outside, in my head I am screaming "REGIONAL SELECTION, NORTHERN VIRGINA, STELLA ARTOIS." My brain then actually began to ooze out of my ears. In return visits the location now has SNPA in bottles, that they bring to you unpoured with a frozen pilsner glass. Baby steps.

afrothunder, KalH, HOMEPL8 and 2 others like this.
  35. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

I think if you bring beer to share as well it's not rude. Just bringing your own beer for yourself might imply a bit of snobbishness.

My new tactic at family events is I bring a bunch of good beer to "share" and introduce to people. On one hand I genuinely want them to start trying different beers and hopefully start liking them. On the other hand it's my sneaky way of having good beer on hand so I don't have to drink Miller Lite.

I'm not snobbish though. Especially if I'm at someone else's place. That's just poor manners. If I'm at a BBQ or whatever and people have Bud, I'll drink some god damned Bud. I'd still rather have a Bud than no beer (though I'm sure there are people who would strongly differ. snobs!)

vertigelt1 likes this.
  36. vertigelt1

vertigelt1 Initiate (0) Texas Nov 11, 2009

My folks had retired to Hilton Head, SC, and my fiancée and I were visiting them a couple winters ago and we went to this little joint not far off the island in a neighboring town of Okatie, called the Okatie Alehouse. They served mostly industrial adjunct lagers, supplemented with a couple local craft beers, but ones I'd already had. But, they had a tap for Okatie Ale, which neither my dad nor I had ever heard of. We figured it was a local/in-house brew, or maybe something contract-brewed for them by one of the few regional craft breweries. Intrigued, we both ordered one.

The waitress (who appeared to be 16 years old) brought us our beverages. We arched our eyebrows at the effervescent, pale straw-hued liquid in our chilled glasses and asked if she in fact brought us the right beers. We smelled them, and they smelled just like light pilsner. The waitress told us she had watched the bar tender poor us the beers right out of the Okatie Ale tap. We drank our beers. They tasted like light industrial pilsners. We asked to talk to the bar tender or manager, because these beers tasted like no ‘ales’ we’d ever tasted.

As it turns out, the Okatie Alehouse rotates the Okatie Ale tap with whatever their special of the week is, almost always some light industrial lager. In this case, the ‘Okatie Ale’ was in fact Miller Lite. Trying to explain to the manager of an ALEhouse that the word ‘ale’ should not be used interchangeably with ‘lager’ was a surreal and ultimately frustrating experience. At first we wanted to refuse paying for our drinks, since they didn’t bring us what we asked for. We ordered an ale and expected to get one. But since it was on special, it only cost $2.00/pint. It was worth the $4 to just be done and go home and drink the Firestone Walker Parabola I’d brought from California.

37. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) California Nov 29, 2012

i wish my girlfriend could skin a deer

Zach136 and acevenom like this.
  38. i love the orchestral Sigur Ros song in the background (Hippipolla, i believe)

39. njhopspop

njhopspop Savant (345) New Jersey Oct 17, 2010

A relative of mine through marraige is a homebrewer and craft fan and my wife and I are at his house one evening visiting. His wife's sister also stops by with her boyfriend and they bring a case of Miller Lite cans with them. The eye rolls and snide comments from our host made us uncomfortable and his sister in law and boyfriend didn't stay long. We haven't been back there since.

wesbray likes this.
  40. I think it also depends on the party. If its a bunch of close friends, I have no problem bringing my own glasses or beer. If its people I am not that close to, I'll just drink what they have.

johzac, Zach136 and vertigelt1 like this.