1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Stone

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by paulhargus, Dec 19, 2012.

1. I bought a used kegerator back in July and it's worked like a charm. The only issue I've had is that I'm still using the original beer line. I have my doubts as to how well or often the original owner cleaned the line. Long story short, I tend to get some beer stone in just about every pour. I know the easiest thing to do is just replace the line, but I've had a hard time finding the correct size and the process to replace it looks a bit tricky (not sure if I have to right tools to do it). I use the micromatic clean flow (i think it's called) powder solution to clean the line. Is there something better I should be using or should I let the solution soak in the line for an extended period of time to get rid of the stone? It doesn't seem to be affecting the taste of the beer, but it is unsettling to have so many floaters in my glass.

Thanks!

2. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

the correct size is 3/16 Inner diameter beer line. Order 8' of it from any on-line location or your local homebrew store. It's not hard to find at all. They sell it by the foot at MicroMatic. Google will turn up plenty of places selling beer line. There are only two places the beer line is connected to your system. At the coupler and at the shank (at the faucet). Take a look at those connections and see what you have. If they are permanent crimped, see if you can cut the line off without damaging the coupler/shank portions. Then just attach the new line using worm clamps. It's pretty simple really. Balance the system and trim off some beer line 6" at a time if needed to get the desired flow.

MicroMatic's powder solution works great. I have been using it for over 5 years on the same beer line/equipment and have never had an issue with build up. I clean between every keg at least. Make sure you are disassembling and cleaning the coupler and faucet as well.

3. yeah, i do all the cleaning as it says to in the micromatic guide. i thought i read somewhere a while back that said there was a separate solution specifically for beer stone. i think i'll just let the solution soak longer this time.

4. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I run BLC solution (and then plain water and then starsan solution) through my lines and faucets in between each keg change. I have never seen any beer stone accumulate.

5. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

Problem is he already has beer stone from a previous owner. I would replace the line and clean the hardware very good. Beer line is cheap. Then a proper cleaning regimen going forward should be fine.