1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer stores in Laramie WY

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by paintchip, Apr 16, 2012.

1. paintchip

paintchip Aficionado (120) New York Aug 12, 2010

I will be attending the University of Wyoming this fall and was wondering if there are any good beer stores in the area (Laramie). I see that there are two brew pubs reviewed, but I would like to know if there is a good store around. I would be disappointed if there wasn't a good selection anywhere close. Also, what are the best local brews to try? I'll likely try them all, but would like to know where to start!
  2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

It's not in the BA database and I haven't visited it but here's the link to a store that sounds promising:

http://northridgeliquors.com/

I'd suggest trying beers from both of the Breweries and keep an eye out for something unique that is coming from The Library...
  3. Northridge and The Library are the places to go. You really can't go wrong with Altitude or The Library's beers either, both are cranking out some solid stuff. Also it may be worth your time to hit up Freedom's Edge Brewing over in Cheyenne (45 miles away) every once in a while.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  4. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I'd love to try their(Freedom's Edge) 844 Wyoming Uncommon. I HOPE the brewery's beers make their way to Casper.
  5. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

I graduated from UW almost 30 years ago, now live near you in VT. Northridge Liquor was the place to go many years ago and still is - in Laramie. The barely 1hr trek to Ft. Collins (we called it Ft. Fun back in my day) is what you really want to do though... this was true before New Belgium , Odell's, etc. existed. As far as brewpubs in Laramie, the last time I was there, there was a lot to be desired - but that was a long time ago. Laramie water is not good for brewing, to put it mildly. I have no idea whether the brewers there have dealt with the problem.

While I would not choose to live there now, I had a great time going to school in Laramie and many good memories. Enjoy!
  6. mkorpal

mkorpal Savant (275) Colorado Oct 28, 2007

The Water is all right, just a lot of chlorine to deal with.

Anyway, as far as beer selection goes, as said, Northridge or The Library is what you will want. At the Library, I know we have some good boulevard (Rye on Rye), most of the Avery bombers, Chimay, Orval, and some other fun odds and ends. For the longest time, we had The Abyss on tap and in bottles as well.

Anyway, I'm the head brewer at the Library, so be sure to stop by and talk beer. As far as I know, I'm the only BA in town, so it will be nice to have another around. And feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions about the town.
  7. skivtjerry

I remember super hard water, in the neighborhood of 1500ppm dissolved solids, high carbonate and quite a bit of sulfate to boot. One of my school jobs included cleaning out the DI water still in the chem building - tons of nasty slurry every week. Maybe UW and the town have different sources or sources have changed.

If The Library had been there when I was, my graduation would have been doubtful!
  8. paintchip

Thanks for all of the responses! I was worried that there weren't going to be any BAs in Laramie. Northridge is looking like the store for me. It's cool that you guys can sell liquor and beer in the same store (Not the case in NY). Does anyone know anything about their preferred customer system?I will also have to check out the two brewpubs. I'm assuming I'll need a growler to bring home those brews. Mkorpal, are those full 64oz growlers that you're filling for $8.50? I don't usually do growlers, but that sounds like a good deal.
  9. paintchip

Hey guys,

I know I posted this a while ago but I figured I would give it a quick update for anyone that finds this thread in the future.

Now that I have spent a year in Laramie and have gotten a chance to try out all of the places listed, I think it is safe to say that Northridge is the best of the beer stores in Laramie. Unfortunately that isn't a hard title to get and Northridge would be merely adequate in any other state. Their selection is pretty limited and they don't actually offer a huge selection from the Colorado breweries (surprising given the close proximity).They do, however, offer more than any other store I've been to (the ranger, safeway) and that, combined with the fact that they carry Avery, makes them the best you're going to get.

For bars I would say go to the Library. Altitude has some great beers, but their staff sucks. The ranger is just creepy. And the Buckhorn is pretty ridiculous after 9pm (cowboy saloon to dance club). Front street and the ruffed up duck are also acceptable if you live on the other side of town.

My recommendation for anyone looking for good beer in the area is to give Colorado a visit. The bars in Denver are fantastic and there are boatloads of local brews to be tried.

If anyone is going to Laramie and has any questions about the beer feel free to PM me.
  10. mkorpal

Um, the Library has been closed for 4 months.
  11. GaToWyo

GaToWyo Savant (320) Georgia Feb 1, 2013

When is the Library supposed to reopen?

As far as the topic goes, Northridge is definitely the best place to go right now. I make the trip down to Ft. Collins once a month to stock up on beers.
  12. I heard rumors that they wanted to be open the early part of 2014, but that's just rumor. The new downtown location will be nice, and it looks like they're going to have quite the facility down there.
  13. skivtjerry

What's happening to the space on Grand Avenue?
  14. The building was rented, and apparently the owners of The Library and the owners of the building couldn't come to terms on a new lease. The new Library will be downtown in the old Fireside Bar building, but it's being completely rebuilt and re-done.
  15. GaToWyo

GaToWyo Savant (320) Georgia Feb 1, 2013

What was known as The Library is now known as "O'Dwyers". I went in to the liquor store in back today and the selection is still pretty good. Boulevard beers on sale, Blood Orange DIPA from Freedom's Edge out of Cheyenne, and Deschutes Black Butte XXIV, and some Grand Teton offerings. The lady at the front counter said they'd soon have some Lander Brewing Company on the shelves. Thought I'd pass this along to the other Laramie folks.
  16. mkorpal

September 1st is the target date, as far as I know.