1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer stores in Waterbury/Montpelier/Stowe

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Shilt, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Shilt

Shilt Savant (370) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

The girlfriend and I are making a VT Skiing/Beercation over New Year's, and I was wondering (besides obviously stopping at the Alchemist, and making the trek to HF) some good beer store stops/stores in VT. Would also be interested in knowing any good places to eat (that also have good beer on tap). Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
  2. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

Crossroads in Waterbury is decent. It's a gas station/liquor store with a decent beer selection. Stowe Beverages in Stowe also has a small but good beer selection. Beverage Warehouse in Burlington (half hour from Waterbury, probably 45 in the winter) has a great selection! Hunger Mountain in Montpelier is also nice.

Food + Beer on tap: The rez in waterbury, prohibition pig in waterbury, three penny in montpelier, crop in stowe, trapps in stowe.

For a great dining experience with minimal draught beers, but some decent bottles: Hen of the Wood in Waterbury

Have fun up here, it's a great area and the skiing alone is worth the trip :D
    MarkF150 and Shilt like this.
  3. dunix

dunix Savant (460) Vermont Jan 26, 2011

Frida's in Stowe; they usually have a HF on tap. Piecasso in Stowe usually has a good line up and Crop like franklinn said. Skip all the other places in Stowe. Michael's on the Hill usually temps tourist, but I'd skip it.
  4. Isnt Beverage Warehouse in Winooski?
  5. franklinn

Yes, it is.

Winooski is to Burlington as Cambridge is to Boston, in my head :D

Huh, never knew Fridas had HF on tap. They're not my favorite eatery in the area, but that's good to know. Michael's is awesome, but yeah, kinda tourist trappy. I've been there a couple times and Hen of the Wood once. IMHO, Michaels is the spot if you're looking for a formal 3 course european fine dining experience. Hen of the Wood is the spot for the VT experience without having to give up ANYTHING on food quality. Michaels food seems to focus more on being delicate and subtle, while Hen of the Wood bring bolder, american flavors to the table. I'd rather spend my money at Hen of the Wood, but there's definitely a time and a place for Michaels on the Hill :D
    youbrewidrink and MarkF150 like this.
  6. dunix

Fridas usually has something good. A lot of times it is Edward, they had Le Freak on for awhile. Usually it is a local + something high end (which could be local), and then 3(?) other taps with crap. Tacos are awesome! That being said, when I lived in Stowe, I went to Waterbury for dinner. Especially during the winter.

Hen of the Wood has an amazing cheese selection (you can never go wrong with Jasper Hill) and has Heady on tap. But honestly not worth the money. Especially if you are into beer, and the restaurants around there. But if you do want to go, make a reservation. The building is awesome, river/stream runs right next to it with a waterfall/mill thing.
  7. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (310) Vermont Sep 25, 2010

Come to sugarbush instead of Stowe, as it will probably save you a few hundred dollars. Sugarbush is selling 4 tickets for 200, instead of 356 like Stowe, and at least everything here isn't a tourist trap.
    franklinn likes this.
  8. jamesewelch

jamesewelch Savant (320) Vermont May 11, 2012

Lots of people already mentioned the few places in Stowe. If you make it to Burlington/Winooski area (just maybe 30-45 mins away), then Winooski Bev Warehouse is the best for variety (near I-89, if you take interstate to Winooski exit, close to Burlington if you take Burlington exit). Although, Winooski Bev Warehouse won't have any HF (at least I've never seen it there).

If I had to recommend a place to eat in Burlington , then I'd say Farmhouse Grill & Taproom. The Farmhouse always has lots of great beer on tap and good local/regional food. They typically have HF and (usually) Lawson's on tap along with many other great beer. If you're looking for brewpubs, then American Flatbread/Zero Gravity (rated one of US best brewpubs) and Vermont Pub & Brewery are almost across street from each other and only couple blocks away from Farmhouse (in case Farmhouse is packed/busy).

In Waterbury, Prohibition Pig is new and has great beer selection. Blackback pub also has a great selection.

In Stowe, the Crop Bistro & Brewery is rather new (brewery equipment being installed now, so their brewery is not currently operational, check their site for updates) with some good looking food (haven't ate there) and a good selection of beer - they have a mixed drink that using hop infused vodka mixed with Heady Topper. Also, in Stowe is the Trapp Family Lodge & Brewery, which has a cafe and their own brewery.

Lots of other breweries in Burlington area that you can stop by, if you spend a day or half-day in Burlington: Vermont Pub & Brewery, Switchback, Magic Hat, Fiddlehead (~30 min south of BTV), Zero Gravity (Am Flatbread Brewpub), etc.

Also, Trapp Family Lodge & Brewery is very close to Stowe and has great views and cross-country ski trails. Rock Art Brewery is not too far off the route between HF and Alchemist.

Brewery listings and map at http://www.vtbeer.org/breweries/map/
  9. Shilt

Shilt Savant (370) Virginia Dec 26, 2011

Thanks for the feedback! We are booked for 4 nights at the Stowehof Inn (got a ridiculous deal on Expedia, so much so that when we called the Inn because they say on their website they will match deals, they said go with Expedia). However, I will look into Sugarbush, as we can cancel up until Dec. 1st. My girlfriend is working on the skiing part, I'm just mapping out the beer part. Thanks again, will definitely be checking out some of these places!
  10. You should probably cancel anyway. I got bedbugs staying at Stowehof in 2008 for a friend's wedding. Another couple also got them, although most of the guests escaped such a terrible fate. Maybe they've got it cleared up by now... but I'd find someplace else to stay.
  11. Blue Donkey in Stowe, best burger.
    Trapp Deli/brewhouse, dress warm, have a pannini & house brew on the deck anytime of the year.
    Piecasso's, great tap list, great food.
    Sunset Grille, local sports bar, family fare, ok tap list.
    Hen of the Wood, my special occasion goto, local focus & HEADY TOPPER on tap!

Just my 1 cent, uncle barry just took the other one.
  12. New wood-fired pizza joint coming to Waterbury, just around the corner from Blackback - who now has Mad Taco on-board. Excellent bottle shop in Stowe - the guy who owns it is a major beer-geek. Crop's brewhouse is finally installed, but beers on tap by your visit seems unlikely - great tap list tough, and the food is tasty. They are having a beer dinner Dec. 8th, so they care about food/beer pairings.
  13. dunix

Just an FYI, I was at the Stowe Liquor store a few days ago and they had quite a lot of Founders Harvest, Backwoods, and Bolt Cutter. The Bevy is sold out of all 3 iirc.
  14. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (515) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

Don't forget Mad River Glen for skiing - and Lawson's on tap at the base lodge.
  15. brikelly

brikelly Savant (405) New Hampshire Apr 11, 2010

They also had plenty of Heady when I went there a while back. Good store.
  16. SupremePie

SupremePie Savant (310) Vermont Sep 30, 2012

Bevy had the later two when I was there yesterday.

Also I'm sorry, but Frida's is abysmal.. A few rotating high end taps amongst the usual mediocrity is not worth the assault on your taste buds and stomach lining. There is no reason you should be going here, especially now that Blackback now serves Mad Taco..

If you make it down to the Bevy in Winooski, which you really should, I can't stress enough how much I would recommend snagging some food around the corner at Misery Loves Co. and/or getting some drinks in Burlington at the Farmhouse.
  17. dunix

Well, Blackback is a bit hit or miss with Mad Taco (seems they run out of stuff on busy nights), but that will change once the full kitchen goes in (might already be in?). Frida's is good if you are staying at the mountain, Blackback is pretty far, and in comparison to the other places in Stowe, it is one of the betters restaurants. Most of the places in Stowe are pretty darn awful. Frida's, Harrisons, Crop, and Piecasso are the only places that have good food, imo. Some of their taps can be hit or miss tho.
  18. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Blackback is still taco's only right now. Great beer ridiculous prices on the Scotch. $30 bucks for a pour of Laphroaig? Talk about gouging, it sells for $52 a bottle here. Great beer selection, nice people, very comfortable.
  19. Second for Blackback and Prohibition in Waterbury. Just returned yesterday from a trip to Waterbury (and all over for HF and Lawsons) Prohibition has a larger beer menu than Blackback but they do half pours which is really cool if you want to try tons of different beers. I wasn't impressed by the food at Prohibition but they're across the street from each other so you can easily hit both.
  20. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Living in the South the pulled Pork at Probation was as good as I get here in NC, with 3 different sauces too. The Collard greens were the best I've had anywhere. If your into that kinda stuff, never thought I;d find it 730 miles from home.
    franklinn likes this.
  21. SupremePie

SupremePie Savant (310) Vermont Sep 30, 2012

Never thought I would ever hear a southerner say these words... I really enjoy Pro Pig, but apart from when they battered and fried it in croquettes (holy crap!), the pulled pork there has been extremely sub par, definitely not on the level of most of the BBQ joints I've been too across the south, but there is no telling if that won't change once the new chef's menu comes into play soon. With that being said, their tap list is fantastic and so is the service. Really enjoyed their repeal day offerings!
  22. franklinn

New chef has already been making great headway. The pulled pork is better than it has been in the past. That one changed QUICK
    nathanjohnson likes this.