1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

beer stories

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by alex_hart, Mar 28, 2013.

1. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (570) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

So i was enjoying my very first bottle of sam adams imperial white per a recommendation of a friend. As always, i like to share a sip with my girlfriend to see if she likes it enough to have one herself. In this case she took the glass from me to enjoy her first sip, lifted the glass to her lips, took a small taste, then proceeded to let the glass slip from her hand. In slow motion i watch the glass turn upside down, the contents spread across a vast expanse of myself, her, the floor, the other dishes around, along with all other items in existence. Somehow by the grace of God and her athletically fast reflexes, she caught he glass before it smashed to the ground, but the beer was, sadly, unsalvageable.

What are some funny, painful, or downright sad stories like this that you have?
  2. My sad story usually involves me looking at the bottom of an empty beer glass. sigh...
  3. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I was watching one of the Dark Knight movies at home while drinking a snifter of Fruet. There's a scene where a dead "poser" Batman who has been hanged slams against the mayor of Gotham City's office window. Startled by the loud noise of impact, I jumped, spilling Fruet all over my sweatshirt and sofa. Those couple ounces probably cost more than your entire glass of Imperial White. ;)
  4. At a tasting party my friend was hosting, he opened a bottle of Cigar City's Dos Costas Oeste, and it was the biggest gusher I've ever seen. His initial reaction was to basically deep throat the bottle, putting his whole mouth over the top and sealing it with his lips. After a few moments of getting foam blasted into his mouth, he took his mouth off the bottle and we all grabbed pours as it continued to gush all over the place.
    JMS1512 and CwrwAmByth like this.
  5. The other day, while I was quite drunk, I opened a carboy to check the gravity and when I put the airlock back in I pushed it in so far down the stopper went down into the carboy and now its stuck in there... :(
    Haydn-Juby likes this.
  6. This literal, exact same thing happened to me last week with the grapefuit wood aged, though my deep throating skills aren't up to snuff, so I just covered the kitchen in tangy saison. :(

I have one more bottle of cedar aged, I guess I need to start learning how to relax my esophagus.
    DenverBeerDrinker likes this.
  7. Benish

Benish Savant (460) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2013

Being 125 lbs. I had some beers with the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point Rugby team one Saturday. The rest was history.....

My favorite story (or I should say memory) is drinking beer with my dad, which I still do. On trips to Canada, squirrel hunting in SW Wisconsin, or even just sitting around and opening one up and talking is what I enjoy the most.
  8. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (645) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

The stories at my shop of lost beer are numerous enough to depress any beer fan. My personal favorite was this past winter when we got our first ever shipment of Racer X. I was highly anticipating this brew being Racer 5 is one of my favorite IPA's. The day it arrives, we didn't know how much we had been allocated, the driver has loaded up his hand truck and as he approaches our front door, the top case falls off, and hits the ground. This is loud enough for me to completely ignore the customer I am ringing up, run to the door, see it is a case of Racer X, and do my best Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I permanently deleted the pictures impersonation.

Fortunately we only lost 6 bottles of the 36 we had been allocated and the beer completely lived up to my expectations. I'm actually drinking a bottle of it in my avatar. Cheers, and drink another to all the ones we've lost haha
    alex_hart likes this.
  9. willbm3

willbm3 Savant (380) Massachusetts Feb 19, 2010

Drinking FBS while watching a movie I take a big gulp and with the beer still in my mouth something not even that funny happens and I literally spit the beer out of my mouth. It gets weaponized and goes everywhere. All over my clothes, my coffee table, my couch.
  10. nsheehan

nsheehan Savant (475) Texas Jul 3, 2011

I was meeting my girlfriend's parents for the first time- dinner at their home. I brought a bottle of Duvel because she said her dad like beer. (She, being a beer disliker, said he liked certain beers in a roundabout way that told me he would probably like Duvel, flavored but not big.)
    When we got there we put it in the fridge, and when dinner came it was brought out to the table. It had been properly handled for the past few hours since its purchase. I was going to open it, but her brother wanted to be macho and went for it. He loosened the cork out and it shot off, narrowly missing their chandelier.

It had a lot of speed, ricocheting off their vaulted ceiling, thankfully not angling toward the chandelier. We never did find that cork. Felt like I dodged a cork bullet, as it would not be very nice if the beer I brought attacks my girlfriend's parents' chandelier. At least I could've blamed the brother.
  11. My wife and I visited Sonoma Valley on our honeymoon and I was driving. We were there for about five days... and I was only able to consume a single Pliny. We are definitely going back there some day (long way from Boston) and I will not be picking up the car keys!

I can't be too critical though, it may very well have been the best week of my life.
  12. poured my last bomber of '09 bourbon county stout into a large snifter. (this was around the time of GI's acquisition by ABI, after BCBS had dried up from shelves and no one really knew what was going to happen w it). idiotically placed the glass on the floor while seated on the couch, so of course a minute later I stood up and booted it clean across my living room. bourbon county everywhere. I still think about that.
    Ginzy likes this.
  13. Took a non-BA friend to a mostly-brewers-only event tonight at the National Press Club. The room was filled with beer geeks in the standard gear - workman's shirt, jeans, sneakers, beard, etc. Then this busty blond in a mini-skirt walks across the room (to be interviewed for something), and my friend goes, "whoa, she must be like the Pamela Anderson of beer!". I thought it was cute. ;)
  14. Asking for half a pint of Mikkeller Maraton Ol and realising why the bartender seemed annoyed, as he managed to get the half from 4 pint glasses full of foam.
  15. JMS1512

JMS1512 Advocate (510) New Jersey Feb 18, 2013

Despite how "chain," "corporate," or "trendy" it might be, I was simply dumbfounded when I stepped into a Yardhouse. This location was the Palisades Mall in NY. We spent a lazy Wednesday afternoon sitting at the bar getting better than 1 on 1 service, sampling wonderful beers, and eating tasty food. Considering my rapidly broadening knowledge and taste, I put the staff to work trying to find me unusual offerings. Sure enough, they found a few for me. That was when I first tasted Founder's Dirty Bastard and Tres Pistolas by Unibroue. Some of you might say those aren't that unusual, but I'd not had a scotch ale to date (or much from Unibroue or Founder's). I also tried a tangerine IPA (name and brewery eludes me).

Cool experience. I'll go back, despite the somewhat lengthy trip.
    alex_hart likes this.