1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer style you didn't dislike, but don't really like

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HipsterBrewfus, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Beers that you give an enthusiastic "meh" to.

Me? Pilsners.
    StuartCarter likes this.
  2. Sipping on this (still damn good) Curieux, I can now safely say 'tripels' is a category I'm meh on.

Then again, I can still appreciate an excellent example of the style (like La Fin Du Monde and, to a lesser extent, Curieux)...
  3. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Porters. There is just something about this style that I don't get.
  4. ipas. id like to turn a corner on them b/c there are so many out there, but for me.... not there yet.
    RochefortChris likes this.
  5. Have you tried DFH 60 Minute yet? To me, it's a great example of a 'beginner' IPA.

Hell, if it weren't for that beer, I'd probably still avoid all IPAs like the plague.
    Vivs85 likes this.
  6. Prh27

Prh27 Savant (310) Virginia Apr 24, 2012

winter warmers

That a completely normal IPA, nothing double about it
    mikeburd1128 likes this.
  7. I was kind of thinking the same thing
  8. Duly fixed; this is what happens when you've had too many :D
  9. I have, and I really like it. The thing is I was just going over IPAs ive had in my head. I like a lot of them - Jai Alai, Celebration, Finest Kind, 60 minute, Centennial IPA - but I very rarely crave them. If I want something crisp and lighter (I usually drink stouts, so relatively speaking...) I'd opt for a good German pils or something like that.

Like I said, I'd love to turn the corner but I rarely crave IPAs.
    cyraschris likes this.
  10. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Occasionally I buy a barleywine, but I don't go shop for them.
    BrownAleMale likes this.
  11. Totally understood :) Different strokes for different folks.
    HoyaSaxa7 likes this.
  12. Amber Ales, Irish Dry Stouts, Most brown ales (i like smutty) and Dunkelweiss. Ill never buy these myself, but i'm not opposed to drinking them if their my only option. If I'm buying I'd probably just save the 19cents and buy AAL instead.
  13. For me: ambers, brown ales and pilsners (most lagers, for that matter).
    breugal likes this.
  14. Kristalweiss, American Brown Ales, and to a lesser extent, (American, especially) IPAs. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a dank, citrusy, piney American IPA or DIPA now and again, and I went through a short phase where that was almost all I drank, but now, it's more of an 'every few months' thing, and not something I want to drink regularly.
  15. madtrixter787

madtrixter787 Savant (285) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Pils for sure. There are plenty of other lawnmower styles I'd rather have over pils. I can appreciate, but don't always yearn for.
  16. Bitters, always choke em down.
  17. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

Porters. I love me stouts and am giving beers labelled as porters another shot, but aside from a few exceptions they are just not doing it for me.

I'd love to like barleywines and sours, but I don't care much for either and my drivers' license and wallet (respectively) appreciate that. :)
  18. Most pale Lagers. The vast majority are just meh. I still consume them though. There's always some Lager in my beer fridge. Currently it's some Grolsch.
  19. Tripels- an extremely difficult style to pull off successfully. Most are kind of cloying, some are undrinkably cloying, and the remaining few really do it for me. There is a fine line between Westmalle and the rest of the pack, and I find that La Fin du Monde walks that line, which I could enjoy better in 12 oz. servings over the bombers. As a whole style, though, I tend to be tough in my approach and usually steer clear of them.

There is a local, mostly draught operation, that does happen to make a killer version; and that's because it is dry, delicate and elegant. If I am craving a Tripel these days it is usually Defiant or nothing....OK, well, maybe Westmalle too...
    Pecan likes this.
  20. kbuzz

kbuzz Advocate (545) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

anything "balanced"
  21. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (465) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Scotch ales when peaty. Traditional Scotch ales are good though. Otherwise I am pretty much open to all styles.
  22. Moose90

Moose90 Savant (405) Colorado Nov 25, 2012

Amber Ales. I'll drink the shit out of Fat Tire, 90 Schilling, etc... They are good in their own right. But I never seek them out on my own.
  23. Black IPA - like Mountain Standard.

If I had nothing else to drink...I might pick one up...maybe (but maybe not)
  24. pjdipes

pjdipes Disciple (70) Washington Nov 18, 2012

Scotch's/Wee Heavy's.....just seem to choke through 'em. Usually end up drain pours.

Pumpkin beers as well, but to a lesser extent.
  25. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

Agreeing with tripels. Also (and I'm going to be verbally abused for this I'm sure), saisons.
  26. Drink some Hoponius Union and be happy.
  27. Belgian IPA's
  28. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I would say lagers. There is just nothing there that I like or hate. Just a very meh style to me. I do really like New Belgium Shift though, that's a tasty lager
  29. saisons.. ive tried quite a few and i always have a hard time finishing them. just something about the flavour i guess..
  30. Anything with that notorious "Belgian Funk". I don't know what it is. I liked Saison Du Pont, but things like La Fin Du Monde and most lambics don't do it for me.
  31. Almost anything Belgian.
  32. cyraschris

cyraschris Aficionado (180) Florida Dec 15, 2012

I'm with Hoya on the ipas. I want to like more of them, and like them more but it just doesn't make me excited
  33. csurowiec

csurowiec Savant (315) Maryland Mar 7, 2010

Tripels. I had a La Fin du Monde the other day for the first time in many years. While I was able to appreciate it as a really well made beer, I didn't enjoy it and don't need to drink one again for years.
    Not a fan of stouts either. Some of them just taste very one dimensional like burnt toast and nothing else. They are never my go to but they still beat out BMC beers.
  34. Most lagers in general. I don't find them unpleasant as I do hefes, just boring.
  35. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (650) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

Amber and Brown Ales for me.
  36. Strong or imperial blonde/reds. Too sweet for me.
  37. Others mentioned Tripels. I agree. I drink them but usually I go for a Dubbel or a Quad over a Tripel
  38. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Barleywines, nearly everything "Imperial", Brown Ales
  39. Browns are definitely a style I don't ever seek out.