1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Beer style you didn't dislike, but don't really like

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HipsterBrewfus, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Belgian wits. I used to love this style but they're so sweet to where I can't drink a lot of them anymore. Whenever I have one I think "it was ok but now I remember why I don't drink a lot of these."

2. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (370) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

Pale Ales, Porters, Ambers.

3. Mockproper

Mockproper Disciple (55) Virginia Jan 23, 2011

Farmhouse ales and barley wines always make my palate feel like I'm drinking something that was made in a basement. A syrupy basement malted disaster.

4. Biffster

Biffster Savant (365) Michigan Mar 29, 2004

Most spiced beers. The annual "Pumpkin Spice Everything" season has thankfully just past. They go from "pretty good, but I wouldn't order another" to "Dear God, what were you thinking?" in my book. I appreciate a well made one, but I always feel like many breweries do one because they feel they have to or something.

Also, sours. I appreciate but never crave them.

5. whiskey

whiskey Savant (375) California Feb 25, 2012

Although I've been getting into craft for a couple years this was the first year I was really "educated" on releases and things like that. Was so looking forward to Jubelale and was sorely disappointed...winter warmers are just not for me.

6. I am saddened to see the lack of enthusiasm for lagers in general. I got so frustrated when I go to a bottle shop that brags about their mix-a-six selection only to find that 90% of it is ales. Oh well, I guess folks just prefer ales. A well constructed Czech Pils or Doppelbock is a thing of beauty!

To answer the OP's question. There are a handful of styles that don't do it for me. Belgian IPA's, Sours, to name a few Barleywines.

7. pale ales, wheats. they are good just not like "holy shit good" i do have a giant selection to pick from regularly. its odd now that i think about it, i almost exclusively drink seasonals or limited release stuff...

8. Vivs85

Vivs85 Savant (305) New York Nov 29, 2012

I'm not a huge barleywine guy... its pretty much the only style I don't really get.

Can someone please recommend some relatively easily accessible barleywines that I could get into.

I love wine, and I love barley in beers... what the hell's the problem here??

9. Not a big fan of Barleywines, Theyre usually pretty good for the first couple drinks after that they just get so filling it affects whatever you try to drink after. Plus they seem to wreck the palate

10. DaKur

DaKur Savant (400) Rhode Island Nov 15, 2012

Scottish Ale / Wee Heavy

11. I would say Rye beers. I have not had one I liked yet. There is some copper taste to them that I don't like. Rye IPAs are not my style I guess.

12. Pilsners, just not enough there for me. I don't mind them, just don't think that there's enough there in the taste department.

13. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

Imperial Ambers/Reds.

14. Barleywine!

15. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (450) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

even a really well executed Pilsner/lager makes me resound with a thundering "meh".

16. Jonada

Jonada Advocate (510) New Jersey May 23, 2012

Hefeweizens fit this description perfectly for me. Whenever I have them they're usually always decent, but I never find myself wanting to drink another or seek out another similar brew.

There are some other styles would loosely meet this description, like tripels (leaning more towards like) and winter warmers (leaning more towards dislike), but Hefes are really the one style I'm completely neutral on.

17. ShameAndFailure

ShameAndFailure Savant (305) Texas Mar 26, 2009

Rauchbiers. Or more broadly, anything smoked. Decent but not my thing.