1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Styles: chilled v.s. warmed up?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by TokyoCO, Jan 16, 2013.

1. TokyoCO

TokyoCO Aficionado (185) Colorado Jan 7, 2013

Hello, I have recently been drinking a lot of darker heavy beers and have noticed that they tend to be more flavorful when they have warmed up a bit. What styles of beer do you tend to let warm up before drinking? Are there any beers that you do not chill at all? I just got SN Bigfoot, should I let this warm up a bit before drinking?

Thanks!!

creepinjeeper likes this.
  2. TokyoCO

Any thoughts?

3. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I like taking a sip or two cold and then let it warm. And I drink slow so that more or less happens anyway. Kind of enjoy experiencing the flavor changes as the beer warms from the fridge. I do find I enjoy most IPAs a little cold, but when I had my first Backwoods Bastard recently, I was seriously diggin it when it got to room temp.

4. The only time I had Abyss it was super cold out of the tap and the beer suffered because of it. As it began to warm, I could tell that it was getting better. But then the next thing I knew, it was gone. I drank it all. Because Raul didn't go to the bar to babysit that thing.

5. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

Depends on the style, but I like letting most of my beers warm up a bit before I drink them. Too cold and I can't get all the flavor out of it. Plenty of times I've drank IPAs/Stouts/Barleywines at room temp just because I didn't feel like waiting for it to cool down.

6. Any craft beer is better when it is warmer rather than colder. And yes, definitely let Bigfoot warm up before drinking.

7. I milked an Abyss at a bar yesterday for about an hour. It just kept getting better as it warmed up.

My cellar at my house stays between 48 and 53 degrees. I drink most my beers (besides IPA, lagers, etc) straight from it with no additional chilling. I used to not really enjoy big stouts until I started doing this.

8. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

The darker color the beer the warmer I like it.

rvajohn, ccbegg, musicman7070 and 2 others like this.
  9. I think what OP is getting at is do you let it sit in the fridge for a few hours then take out to warm up a bit, or only put the beer in the fridge for like an hour to chill it.

Answer: I do both

Edit: May have read that wrong...I rarely drink anything at room temp.

10. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

I don't know if this is an accepted rule or anything, but I've generally found that the higher the ABV, the more I enjoy a beer at warmer temps (between cellar and room temp). But I like to start out hoppy beers and lagers pretty cold.

ccbegg likes this.
  11. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

I used to drink my IPAs at room temp, but now I like them slightly chilled, but not cold. Pilsners and AALs cold. Stouts, porters, Farmhouse ales, BSDA, barleywines at room temperature.

12. In terms of beers I drink at home, I like everything chilled (about 50F), not cold... but I'm ok with lighter styles and IPAs being a little cold.

However I don't fuss about it when I'm out at an establishment that isn't beer focused, or when I'm handed a beer by a host, friend, etc. at their home

13. [​IMG]
    Took a little sip of this cold, pretty darn tasty. The warmer it got, the more amazing it became! I've got to learn to be a little more patient and give it about 5 to 10 minutes to take the chill off! (Pay no attention to the Busch Light in the background . . . not mine!:D)

14. Ice-cold beer is for swill drinkers.

comfortablynirm and larryi86 like this.
  15. RyFikes

RyFikes Savant (280) New York Jan 3, 2013

I've always thought that the lower the temperature the more flavor is lost, because you're essentially desensitizing your taste buds. Which is why you should drink something with a wide flavor profile such as a barley wine at room temperature and you should have a Coors light ice cold. The cooler temps obviously makes the beer much more refreshing so it's a bit of a balancing act that is all a matter of preference.

16. I like most of my beer chilled, not super cold.

17. Keep it nice and cold. Take it out of the fridge about 30 min before I want to pour it. Then it's on!

18. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Pretty much all the beers I drink spend 10-20min on the counter when I pull them out of the fridge before I start to drink them. Then I just enjoy them over about 20min (or more if it is a big stout/barleywine) so I can taste the beer at multiple temp levels to see how it changes.

19. I recently left a Great Lakes Nosferatu on the counter for over an hour and couldn't believe the difference in flavor. Absolutely amazing. It was a totally different beer. Imperial stouts are better the warmer you allow them to get in my opinion. Founders Impy Stout is fantastic at room temp.

20. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (320) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

Narwhal was amazing at near room temp. When I had one very cold you could not taste all the goodness.

21. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

I get all my beers at colder serving temp and drink them as they warm up. That's the best way to do it with all beers, IMO.

22. I pull my bottles from the fridge, and they naturally warm up as I drink them.

23. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (180) New York Dec 25, 2008

30 minutes on the counter or straight out of the cellar for stouts, quads, etc... maybe 10-15 minutes on the counter for IPAs.

24. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Savant (325) California Mar 19, 2012

Same here. More so with dark beers than Pilsners or IPAs. I have no problem drinking beer at or near room temperature...

25. I enjoy lambics and other sours chilled more than other beers at room temperature.

[​IMG]

26. I treat it exactly like wine... the darker and higher quality it is, the warmer it should he served.

Biffster likes this.
  27. Biffster

Biffster Savant (365) Michigan Mar 29, 2004

Basically, the more complex the beer, the more it benefits from warming. Most beers are actually better sampled and judged warmer - it reveals flaws in even the most neutral pilsner - no matter how it is meant to be served. But Ales in general, and bigger beers (which are most often ales anyway) reveal more of their esters and aromas when they are warmer.

28. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

I generally take a beer out of the fridge, and let it sit for 10-15 minutes before I pour it regardless of style. I do like my IPAs a little cooler than stouts/porters, but I never drink anything refridgerator cold. Most, if not all styles change as they warm.

29. LostHighway

LostHighway Savant (345) Maine Jan 29, 2007

I tend to like most beers at around 55F, give or take a few degrees. Pale lagers I might drink as cold as 45F but doppelbocks and Baltic Porters I drink at 50F+. Maybe if I lived in a much hotter climate I'd develop a taste for cold beers but here it just dulls the taste without making them any more refreshing.

30. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

My beer cellar is 50 degrees. I tend to take IPAs out and fridge before serving, the rest about cellar temp for serving.

31. TokyoCO

Thanks for all the replies! Letting IPAs warm up is something I haven't heard of before, I'll give it a try!

32. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Out of a mug? Really?

33. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Havent met a single beer that drinks at its prime at fridge temp. (Excluding BMC stuff).

The way I see it, my beer is like a woman. You've gotta warm her up first before you just dive in...

34. vthippie

vthippie Aficionado (180) Vermont Dec 18, 2012

I just wait for the mountains on the can to turn blue so I know it's as cold as the Rockies and then i take that sucker to poundtown.

35. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Generally speaking, I like higher gravity brews warmer than the rest, but they all have interesting flavors as they warm up.

36. Anything barrel aged including oak. Also, saisions drink a lot better once warmed in my opinion. They ppen up a lot.

37. I like to drink pilseners, IPAs and hefeweissens cold.
    Other styles, i like to drink as they warm up. Had a baltic porter the other night at room temp and it was divine, like drinking liquid brownie mix!

38. I find the beers that i like ( imp stouts, barlywines, dipa's, ipa's) are like cheese, too cold, blah. More flavor as they warm.

39. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Guess I'm in the minority with some beers. Once an ipa gets warmer than the mid forties I find the malty flavors start to overwhelm the hops. Guess my "palate hasn't developed" or maybe I'm just "uneducated" when it comes to proper beer snobbery.

Bigger beers I like to see between 40 and 45. Again, some brews become cloying above 50.

40. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

IPAs at room temperature? That's crazy talk