Beer styles you disliked, but like now.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by missdawn, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Since becoming immersed in the craft/fine beer world, are there any styles that you initially avoided but now enjoy? If so, which style? Is there a specific beer you give credit to for expanding your palate or was it a steady progression?

Thanks

2. searsclone

searsclone Savant (325) Arizona Sep 7, 2006

I used to avoid IPA's, but now I enjoy them. Specifically, Fat Tire started my expansion, and ambers were all that I liked. Now, I am willing to try just about anything!

3. Hefeweizens. Used to hate them, now I'm addicted.

4. My first imperial stout was Tatonka from BJ's Pizza. Hated it so much. I remember just feeling the burn from alcohol in my throat. Now I can't get enough of the style.

5. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Back when I first got into better beers, I didn't really like pilsners. The noble hops tended to really come across as bitter to me (more than IPA's with 5x the IBU's) and I just didn't really get the pale malt profile. Now a good pils is one of those things I truly enjoy.

chuckstout and TongoRad like this.
  6. GRPunk

GRPunk Advocate (600) Michigan Apr 5, 2007

Scottish/Scotch ales were something I needed to work into, along with anything smoked. Something about the smoked malts really had to grow on me. Now I'm a huge fan of Scotty Karate, Dirty Bastard, and Bell's Christmas.

Now that you mention it, maybe those deserve a new review.

7. IPA's and anything with a lot of bourbon. Ironically now my two favorites.

lonewolfcry and xxcarpxx like this.
  8. IPA's, until I had a Lagunitas Hop Stoopid. Holy crap that was good. Now I'm pretty much open to anything. except faro, yuck

9. Kristenagrady

Kristenagrady Zealot (80) Jan 1, 2013

IPA's. Now I love them. I liked Hefeweizen's from the first time I tried them.

10. IPAs.

My first IPA was Flying Dog Snake Dog - which came across so bitter and astringent, I felt like my tongue was going to shrivel and die in my mouth. It was enough to make me never want anything with that acronym ever again. Then I gave DFH 60 Min a chance, and I haven't looked back since.

Funny thing is, I think Snake Dog is a pretty decent beer nowadays.

kpanter likes this.
  11. kpanter

kpanter Aficionado (220) Florida Nov 25, 2012

IPAs for me as well. Thought they were way to hoppy and in-your-face flavor, now I cannot get enough of them. And oddly enough, IPA/DIPA's are my favorite style, my taste has definitely changed over the years.

Bitter_Echo likes this.
  12. I never used to care much about American reds, but lately I can't get enough of them. Something about a stronger malt character with the assertive hops is really appealing to me.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  13. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (710) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

Russian Imperial Stouts

Was a big fan of Porters and Stouts from the moment I got into craft beer but the RIS took a bit to get used to. Really enjoy them now.

missdawn likes this.
  14. Im starting to appreciate styles i overlooked before, primarily lagers. A good czech/helles pilsner, bocks, ect. Ive also grown to like bigger stouts, previously the imperials were a little to big for me. But at the end of the day I'm a hophead for life.

TongoRad likes this.
  15. Pilsners. I used to hate them, but now I find them super crisp and refreshing when I do have them.

chuckstout, Johnnyhitch and TongoRad like this.
  16. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

As a lot of people have already said, IPAs. I got into beer via Belgian style ales, so at first, IPAs were an affront to my taste buds. Now I enjoy the hell out of them.

missdawn and RelentlessLefty like this.
  17. BJasny

BJasny Savant (385) Texas Jul 10, 2011

Russian Imperial Stouts, IPAs. Now 2 of the styles I most commonly drink

18. Im in the RIS camp, and most stouts in general.

19. strohme2

strohme2 Savant (450) Michigan Nov 3, 2007

Sours and wild ales for sure. I'm crawling slowly towards them. I have to take advantage of Jolly Pumpkin being an hour away.

20. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (655) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Quads. I am asamed to say i didn't care for St. Bernardus Abt. 12 the first time i tried it. Now a good quad or BSDA is my favorite thing in the world.

21. je1129

je1129 Aficionado (230) Iowa Feb 22, 2011

English barleywines. I was a dumbass.

surge1311 and strohme2 like this.
  22. MEW

MEW Savant (445) Colorado May 29, 2012

Disliked anything hoppy! Heady Topper changed all that... :)

IcemanCometh and psnydez86 like this.
  23. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (605) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I would say IPA fir me. Never had one, first try was a disaster, but stuck with it and tried different examples. I enjoy them now. Stone Ruination was a real ahhhhhhhh moment.

Notice lots of comments about the lighter styles. I wonder if it is the change of pace from the heavier fare that makes them refreshing in contrast?

24. IPA for me. I've been forcing myself to drink them over the past few months. Don't love them yet, but can enjoy them now.

25. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

Pilsener

Providence and TongoRad like this.
  26. sommersb

sommersb Advocate (580) Tennessee May 25, 2010

I've slowly started liking hoppy beers like IPAs and DIPAs. Couldn't really stand them at first. Barleywines opened the door for me to bridge between big malts and big hops.

27. Yeah, IPAs for me as well. Most of the ones I had before were just basically super bitter - and tongue coating at that - and I really had no love for them for a good year and a half into the hobby. But trying some of the really good citra stuff, like Two Hearted and Celebration, has got me enjoying the style and looking for stuff similar. Really need to get my hands on some Heady and looking forward to having my first Hopslam soon.

kpanter likes this.
  28. Hated anything hoppy at first. The next mountain I'm attempting to climb is the sour/gueze/lambic one. I'm starting to see what is appealing about them, but I gotta admit, that first taste was shocking.

I don't like pilsner, and I've given it plenty of chances.

29. surge1311

surge1311 Savant (340) Rhode Island Oct 10, 2012

at first only liked Ipa's period and hated hated any dark beers. Now of course love all stouts especially barrel aged and shy away from most IPA's. Never heard of barleywines when I first started now my favorite of all. I guess palates change

30. je1129

neither two hearted(centennial) or celebration uses citra hops.

31. Bah. Sorry, my autocorrect actually has citra in the glossary. I did mean to say "citrusy" and it went to that.

32. je1129

qupid quattro connect, I ate tit!

33. IPAs and stouts. I used to find these styles too bitter but now I enjoy them quite regularly.

34. Dont know if this really counts but Scotch Ales because the 1st one I ever had was infected. I actually found out here when I went to look at the reviews for that beer some months later and saw a bunch of the reviews mentioning infections.

35. The first craft beer I had was GI IPA (this is when I was like 20 mind you, when I though Bud was the best lol) and I hated it so much. But then I turned 21, started trying every different beer including some more IPAs and now its my favorite style.

36. Love a good red ale with both big malt and hop profile. The sad thing is finding a bunch of this kind of red ales is hard as stouts and ipas have saturated the market.

37. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

Sours and Barleywines and Scotch Ales....CHEERS

38. The first time I tasted an IPA other then Alexander Keiths was before I got into craft beer. I don't remember the brand but I was shocked at the bitterness. I've learned a lot since.

Johnnyhitch likes this.
  39. kbuzz

kbuzz Advocate (590) Pennsylvania Jan 22, 2011

Just big beers in generals - RISs, BWs, DIPAs, etc... I used to be so turned off by anything that had a slight boozy character...just couldn't get past it. Now (and this might be a bad thing), I barely notice booziness at all.

40. Sours

Retail1LO likes this.