1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer styles you disliked, but like now.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by missdawn, Dec 31, 2012.

1. IPA's for me too. Actually I used to like them. Then got really sick of them went years without drinking one. Started again recently and love them more than ever. The Victory Hop Devil is what got me back into them.

2. True, a lot of brewers are moving toward either extreme of the spectrum, & the reds are somewhere in between.

3. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Rauchbier.

Used to hate 'em... now I adore them!

4. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Sours. About gagged on the first sip of a C&C La Folie. Now I wish my cellar was filled with them.

Bitterbill likes this.
  5. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (550) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Definitely IPAs, I still tread lightly having really learned to try before I buy. What it really came down to was which hops I enjoyed and which I didn't for my palate and learning that not every hop is the same and the variety & usage is as varied as grapes in wine. I prefer the citrusy(grapefruit-like), floral type profile to the piney/cat piss like hop bombs. Regular buys for me would be Bells Two Hearted, Commodore Perry, Celebration Ale but also I've found that I can enjoy the bigger taste of say Nugget Nectar & Lake Erie Monster.

6. I used to steer clear of farmhouse, table beers and biere de gardes but now me likey. I still avoid rauchbier.

7. Eastside151

Eastside151 Savant (450) Ohio Jun 29, 2012

I am of the original IPA hater group. I was not a fan of the style but figured I would revisit them at some point. I now seem to enjoy them more and more as my palate evolves. I ordered a Brooklyn Blast last night at the bar and enjoyed it! Still working on those Barleywines though...

8. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

IPAs. First one was Bear Republic Racer 5. The aftertaste was so bitter that it was undrinkable. Second big IPA I had was SN Torpedo and that was harsh as hell.

I now like IPAs but also am a bit tired of them.

9. Treebs

Treebs Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 18, 2011

Definitely anything bourbon barrel aged. I had a less than stellar experience in my high school days with some Jack Daniels and didn't touch the stuff until my last year in college. Once I was able to have some without inducing my gag reflex I was finally able to partake in barrel aged stouts.

Johnnyhitch likes this.
  10. RichD

RichD Advocate (715) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I used to HATE IPA's and then Sierra Nevada Celebration showed me the way.

11. Quads and anything barrel aged.

12. fox227

fox227 Advocate (565) California Nov 19, 2010

When I first got into craft I used to avoid all lagers. But then I had to be intellectually honest about good taste and consider that a craft lager is going to taste better than a cheap macro one. That was spot on, and I enjoy them now when in the mood.

13. scud

scud Savant (335) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

When I first got into craft brews, I couldn't stand how bitter ipas seemed to me. Ranger and SN pale ale were brutal to me but the more I tried them and other ipas my taste adjusted and now it's one of my favorite styles

14. Stouts, at first, always had this metallic taste to me but now I think they're great. Also, smoked beers and sours took a while for me to appreciate. I'm still not the biggest fan of the really sour ones or the really smokey ones.

15. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (445) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

Saisons

Gosox8787 likes this.
  16. ESHBG

ESHBG Aficionado (205) Pennsylvania Jul 30, 2011

Yep, pretty much my story as well!

IPAs for me and to a lesser extent, Pale Ales. Most tasted pretty much the same to me and there is something about the taste of pale malts that was ever so slightly off putting to me. But over time and with exploration and an open mind I started to enjoy them more, though, and found myself even craving them...this past summer I went through a phase where a majority of what I was drinking was IPAs and hoppier Pale Ales. But as Blueribbon666 stated, the type of hops used makes a BIG difference for me too.

But I am also finding myself starting to burn out on the hoppier beers, and I am swinging back towards the more balanced styles and revisiting old favorites I used to enjoy regularly.

17. It took awhile for me to warm up to Barleywines. Now I love them.

18. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (350) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

Marzens at first they seemed like a slight upgrade over adjunct lager. Then I drank a few slowly and at warmer temps and started to get it. Then I had Ayinger!
    Now I could manage on only Marzens from Labor Day until Thanksgiving.

fuzzylogic likes this.
  19. New and intense flavors and styles need taste buds and brain to adjust. Beer is a journey keep on truckin..

20. Belial

Belial Aficionado (215) Illinois Aug 9, 2005

I went 8 years without liking brown ales but about 5 months ago something clicked and i love them. and now here i am at 10:45 on a sunday morning drinking one in bed

missdawn and IcemanCometh like this.
  21. BS-

BS- Aficionado (125) Singapore Sep 1, 2012

Doppelbock, I guess. More specifically, the Paulaner Salvator.
    I hated it with a passion in the past. After about a year of actively trying new beers and educating myself, I tried it again the other night (sipped some from a friend) and was quite wowed. It's a pretty damn beautiful beer. Definitely something I'm going to have more often now.
    I also had a Weihenstephaner Korbinian a few weeks back and really enjoyed that too.

22. The first time I had a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - about 20 years ago (jeez Im gettin old!) - I thought it tasted like bug spray. I hated it! That's changed! And more recently the first bourbon barrel I tried was Parabola - thought it was WAAY too boozy. Now I love bourbon barrel beers...

23. paulytasker

paulytasker Savant (360) New York May 16, 2012

Scotch Ale's / Wee Heavies... now i always look forward to the Fall release of the smuttynose big beer series scotch! Cheers!

24. I tried old nick years ago and it was a drain pour. Cool label but I could not get it down. That put me off Barleywine for over 25 years. I bought a Troegs Flying Mouflan the other week because the label said "like a Nugget Nectar thrown over a cliff" I took this to mean it was a super hoppy beer. Never had it and had not seen it before. Opened it up and WOW, it was really good. A sipper but still great. I now enjoy American barley wine and will be buying some more. I know Bigfoot comes in 12oz and I want to find more 12oz good barleywines. 22+ is too much for one sitting right now.

Enjoy

missdawn likes this.
  25. vurt

vurt Advocate (555) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

First I disliked hoppy beers. Then I learned to love them.

Then I disliked smoked beers. Now I love those.

Then I didn't see the point of sours. Now I don't seek them out all the time, but I've learned to enjoy them, and I'll sample pretty much any sour that crosses my path.

With each of those beers, the dominant flavor (bitter/smoke/sour) prevented me from appreciating any other characteristics of the beer. The trick was to find an example of the beer that presented those characteristics in the best setting. Example: My "turning point" beer for hops was Magnolia's Prescription Pale Ale on hand-pull: beautiful hop aroma and flavor (oranges!) without all the palate-smashing bitterness.

26. I wouldn't say addicted, but they definitely went from a style I passed by constantly, to one I search out regularly.

27. Your avatar has me cracking up. Such a hilarious scene!

searsclone likes this.
  28. Bsak1985

Bsak1985 Aspirant (40) Louisiana Dec 31, 2012

I received a 6-pack of random beers as a gift, when I was first trying craft beer. I sat down with a bowl of spaghetti-O's and cracked opened the first one, and it was a Stone Ruination IPA. I thought the enamel on my teeth was being eaten away. I barely finished it. Now I would say it's my favorite beer. Funny how taste buds mature.

29. Spaghetti-o's?

[​IMG]

Seems a lot of people didn't initially like IPA's and now are all about them. Beer is funny. I used to lvoe them, but I think I burnt myself out on them.

Dtrain4 and Bsak1985 like this.
  30. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (540) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

Used to hate stouts. I thought Guiness had too much coffee flavor. Now I shun people who dont apprieate Founders Breakfast Stout.

31. I couldn't stand Belgian/phenolic beers. (Saisons, tripels, etc). Heavy seas Saison helped me turn the corner and I'm now a big fan of weyerbacher merry monk, and victory golden monkey, but I still am a hop head at heart.

32. larryi86

larryi86 Champion (895) Delaware Apr 4, 2010

For a while I would not try stouts because I didn't like Guiness when I tried it in college, then I had ST Choklat and I realized that I really like stouts,

33. kneary13

kneary13 Savant (310) Massachusetts Jan 30, 2010

barely used to drink wheat beers. heffe, dunkel, american.... now i find them as refreshing and full flavored as ever.

if i may take the liberty of going in the opposite direction, i used to love dubbels and quads, and now would prefer not to imbibe. oh... and american light lagers... don't drink those much anymore either :)

34. Sours. At first it was like eww vinegar. Now I drink apple cider vinegar straight up when I can't get Jolly Pumpkin.

35. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

Me too, on the IPA's. I used to decry the un-virtues of IPA's to anyone who expressed a love for them, and then something switched in me (Two-Hearted the causal agent) and now I can't get enough of them. Good thing I have a rule of trying everything that I think I dislike from time to time to see if my palate has changed, because it changes a lot. Curiously, the magnitude of my enjoyment of IPA's now exceeds somehow the amount I previously liked other styles; glad I didn't miss out on these due to stubborn denial. One can never be sure what one is missing unless you try. I'll try other styles I think I don't like even now, because one never knows...

36. Doppelbocks: a couple years ago I mostly avoided the style, finding the molasses/brown bread flavors overwhelming. Taking down some Troegenators today and watching the playoffs; I couldn't be happier with this beer choice.

37. Alextricity

Alextricity Champion (785) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

IPAs, though I didn't dislike them for long.

I'm not sure I'll ever get too into stouts or barleywines much, but they're okay time to time.

38. i envy and hate you at the same time for not taking advantge of JP but you have the rest of your life to enojy!!

As to the question i would have to RIS and sours like stroh...Your palate complexs and grab so many flavors that i didnt detect when i first started drinkin on the same scale of pilsners also, nothing beats that crisp clean flavor on a summer day...almost my water some hot days the way i need to hydrate =]

39. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

Porters. On the flip side, for the foreseeable future, I don't believe I could appreciate a sour. No way. And not any day.