1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer styles you disliked, but like now.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by missdawn, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Definately IPA. I seriously could not stand it 10 years ago. Now I'm quite fond of it .

2. DFH 60 min blew me away. i too am now open to IPAs

3. I've got to say IPA as well. I had no love for the hops to begin with. Just too bitter and abrasive for my taste. Titan IPA and DFH 60/90 really got the ball rolling for me.

4. I drain poured my first old rasputin...shame on me, what an enjoyable beer and style.

5. Anything with a noticeable amount of hops.

6. tommyz

tommyz Advocate (510) Michigan May 28, 2007

It was stouts for me..Im still getting into them,but when I had DarkHorse BB Plead the 5th, I was hooked

7. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

Used to dislike most adjunct lagers. Now I actually hate the taste of most of them.

WotanMitUns likes this.
  8. WotanMitUns

WotanMitUns Aficionado (150) Alaska Dec 20, 2012

Porters and stouts, didn't care for the roasty coffee-esque flavors at first. Now I love them.

9. IPA. It was actually a double IPA that got me hooked. Oakshire The Perfect Storm. It's the first beer where the citrusy/floral flavors became noticeable for me.

10. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

Smoked beers,still in the learning process,and as Herrburgess states " You need to drink 5 or 6 at a time'

11. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

IPAs. 5 years ago or so I did not care for them one bit. DFH 90 minute, among others very much changed my mind.

Sours may fall into that category as well, but I think everyone probably takes some time getting used to them.

12. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

IPA's and sours for me. The first ipa that I enjoyed a lot was probably victory hop devil. It has enough malt to get malt lovers into the beer with a ton of hops too. For sours, the one that really got me into (some) of them was Oro de Calabaza from Jolly Pumpkin.

13. I was never a big fan of Scotch Ale/Wee-Heavy when I first got into craft. Too heavy and malty for my taste. Now I cannot get enough of them. Scotty Karate and Dirty Bastard are two of my go-to beers no matter what time of year.

14. BigB415

BigB415 Savant (290) California Aug 24, 2010

When I first started out I only liked the lighter beers and thought stouts and barley wines tasted horrible. Now stouts are my favorite style and I will try anything stout related and any barley wine and I don't like the lighter stuff like lagers anymore.

15. Beejay

Beejay Savant (495) Virginia Dec 29, 2008

Pilsner. And Sam Adams noble pils turned me around.. I'm still not a big fan or Prima Pils, but I like SA Noble pils so much that I actually brewed my first pilsner this summer..

16. I still hate them. What was your turning point?

17. Belgian Quads. The first few I couldn't take because of the alcohol being so upfront. Now they are right at the top of my list.

18. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

I used to not care too much for stouts or porters. But now I have found that I enjoy them if they have flavors added to them like vanilla, coffee, mocha, or maybe smoked. Plus I didn't drink many IPA's in the past. But now I really enjoy the massive hop blast you get with them.

19. Honestly, I stayed away from them for years and just decided to try one one day. My tastes have just changed/evolved. Nothing profound, it was just that simple. The same thing happens to me with food. Lots of foods such as guacamole, steak, sweet potatoes, and many others that used to hate growing up are now ones that I go to often.

20. For me it's quads. Now thats what I seem to be pulled to at the stores.

21. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (530) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

IPAs. Used to hate anything too hoppy, but Two Hearted slapped me in the face and told me to stop being a pussy. I love a pretty wide variety of them now.

Still can't get into Barleywines.

22. dubinsky

dubinsky Savant (340) California Sep 16, 2009

I avoided barley wines due to their overly high abv and sweetness, but now I really enjoy them. Also i avoided lagers and pilsners because I thought they all tasted like AAL. I find myself really enjoying all of these as long they are really well made and flavorful.

23. Sours.

Consecration...but now my fav is Supplication.

24. I used to dislike belgian beer when i first got into craft, but now i love it.

25. smutty33

smutty33 Advocate (650) Connecticut Jun 12, 2009

Liar,you forgot about Rye and BA beers.......:p

OP:For me,Barrel Aged and Rye beers.(How could I 4get drainpouring GI BCBS 2008.):oops:

I am slowly,starting to dig some saisons though.
    Not really a barleywine guy,but SN Bigfoot is quite tasty when its fresh.

Cheers

26. MarioM

MarioM Advocate (525) California Sep 13, 2009

Years ago when I first got into craft brew, as soon as I hit 21, I would avoid Belgians, more specifically Saisons and Belgian Pale Ales. At the time I didn't understand the complexity and my palate was too naive to like Belgian yeast. All this coupled with the higher price tag meant I avoided these jewels. Now that I'm done with school, not as broke, got tired of too many IPAs & Stouts, and after years of trying many many styles I have grown to favorite Belgian brews over other styles. As soon and I tried my first Quad and Belgian Strong Dark ale I was hooked and never looked back.

27. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

My first sour was a horrible experience, wish I could remember what it was but now sours and lambics are what I hunt for the most.

missdawn likes this.
  28. thepartybird

thepartybird Zealot (85) Colorado Jun 24, 2011

IPAs. Two Hearted and Jai Alai were the turning points as they have a lot of fruity hop flavor without the overwhelming neutral bitterness I got from a lot of other examples like the Sam Adams IPA.

It was strange to see a beer like Latitude that has a less hoppy reputation (and probably considerably lower IBUs, but I'm too lazy to check) that was also much more bitter tasting than Jai Alai.

But maybe I'm crazy.

29. IPA's - before I woke up...what an epiphany!
    One of these days I'm going to lay them down for a while, just don't know when that will be.

30. Stouts for me as well... Founders Breakfast Stout was probably the one to gently coax me into trying more.

31. I need to expand my smoked beer palate. Perhaps pairing a good one (maybe one you mentioned) with food will help.

32. I'm curious too. The first one I ever had was Franziskaner... wish it wasn't because it really just turned me off.

33. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

In the beginning, when the Earth was young...I hated anything sour. Now, I can't get enough of them. Intentionally sour beers, that is.;)

Bitter_Echo likes this.
  34. IPAs. Then, a friend bought me a mixed six-pack that had a DFH 90 in it. I figured I'd hate it, but I loved it. IPAs are my favorites now -- the hoppier, the better.

35. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

You too? That's the one I was really referring to in another post on this thread. 2004 C&C La Folie, for free even, and I drank, what, 2 sips and then drain poured it.:(

cavedave likes this.
  36. all of them. i used to dislike beer but the craft movement really interested me so i developed a taste for lighter/sweeter beers like witbiers and expanded my tastes from there.

37. dgfool

dgfool Aficionado (185) Ohio Sep 6, 2012

I disliked ipa's till i had pliney and two hearted now it's the most common in my fridge

38. Drew26

Drew26 Savant (350) Wisconsin Nov 2, 2012

Scottish - Scotch Ales

39. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (520) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

Pils, Helles, and K├Âlsch; many years ago, when I initially got into beer, I believed if it was golden it wasn't good. I have since grown to appreciate them and enjoy them.