1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer suggestions

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Jayh5, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Jayh5

Jayh5 Disciple (65) North Carolina Jul 25, 2013

Hey guys I'm new to the world of beer, I have only really tried IPA's and like DFH , stone, and founders. I want to try some porters, stouts, ales, something besides IPA's. Any suggestions ?
  2. try those (porters.Stouts) from the same companies that you tried the IPA'S
  3. Sunn

Sunn Savant (400) Iowa Oct 14, 2012

If you like Founders, give their Porter a try. It was one of my first porters and I loved it.
  4. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Savant (405) Vermont Apr 6, 2013

Founders Porter is awesome. Along with Anchor Porter. As far as stouts go I'd say a good starting point is the always fantastic Sierra Nevada stout.

Enjoy those porters and stouts - They're my personal favorite styles
  5. ZachKelly

ZachKelly Advocate (555) Virginia Dec 25, 2012

You can't go wrong with Yeungling. It's a good, smooth lager. Try anything you can find from Asheville or from the Foothills brewery.
  6. Mikecap

Mikecap Advocate (630) Louisiana May 18, 2012

Everything from Stone is good, if you liked their IPA, try Arrogant Bastard, Sublimely Self-Righteous, Smoked Porter, and Levitation Ale. From Founders, their Porter is a must try, and Dirty Bastard is really good as well. When Breakfast Stout comes around, that is one of my all time favorites. For well-priced and accessible stouts and porters, I also suggest Sierra Nevada's Stout and Porter as both are really solid.
  7. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

Sierra Nevada- Their East Coast brewery is going to be in your state.

Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter and Oatmeal Stout
    ZachKelly, Schwantz and Givemebeer like this.
  8. Jayh5

Jayh5 Disciple (65) North Carolina Jul 25, 2013

Ok thanks guys.