1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

"Beer tasting events" " Beer education events"

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by sinkas, Sep 6, 2012.

1. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (190) Australia Jul 9, 2008

HI all,
    I am wondering if the beer tasting events etc that we see popping up all over the place in oz now are a bit on the procey side.
    I have always assumed that the products and the staff time are paid for by importers, producers, so dotn understand why pople should be paying $80 buck to tast 8 beers you coudl probably buy for the same price.
    this is particualrly so when the presentlers appear to have little more knowledge than the average beer enthusiast,
    Id happily pay $100 fro soem decent sancks and some rare beers I cnat buy of the shelf , but the last tasign aevent I went this week was hilariously badly run, and the food was horrid

2. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (610) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Definitely agree, there have been a few that i have winced at lately.

I can't comment on the presenters and their knowledge as i haven't been to one lately. Proabably the last thing i went to was a Murrays night at the 3 Weeds in Rozelle and they had Elephant Head on tap and that's been retired for probably 4 years. Maybe i've been to one since but it certainly wasn't memorable.

I know Murrays now have quarterly dinners at north of $100, which works out a $250 night for me by the time i add getting there and back. So $1,000 a year to support something (interesting barrel aged beers) that i'd like to support sees me stay at home.

I've seen similar pricing on some WA events recently, but admit i haven't really looked into what comes with the entry fee.

The other thing that i find really annoying is places not disclosing what's going to be served (beer and/or food) and expecting you to pony up some decent cash to go to something that is unknown at the time you need to book.

Makes tastings with friends even more enticing. Get to choose what you want to drink, have some decent to very good food (unless its me that's cooking) and no cost.

3. Hey Case,

Haven't posted for yonks but this post is something closely relating to stuff that takes up a lot of my time lately.
    Past events I did were instore and the costs were of the beer (at cost price), and the food we put on (got real fancy by the end). Staff never got paid... These would hit the $40 - $70 with usually 12- 15 beers tasted (50ml pours).

Nowadays we use other venues (for several reasons) to host, food was added, hiring the venue and of course the cost of the beer. This blew prices up to $80- $100 pretty easy. Once again, no staff cost (these take plenty of after hours of work to create) and cost price beer. No profits made ever. Our Roll Out the Barrels was $100 and an absolute steal with the rare beers tasted (Paul at BBC was a massive help).

The latest one I have created is a Dead Guy Rogue event for $145. Its the most expensive one I have done, but factors include, rare beers (with big pours), gift bags, facepainters (to get into the mood of the theme - Day of the Dead), kicking on to a hell themed bar with some free beers and 7 course beer matching dego. No profits - lots of work, but the atmosphere and memories that will come from this is pretty priceless.

I pride myself in going extra with this stuff but sometimes it comes at a cost, but I believe worth it. I have a few side tastings that will be intimate and low key - expected costs will be minimal.

Anyway, you should come along to one and see where the money goes (and whether its worth it).

Apologies for the long post - it will make up for my long silence!

Joel

4. Lukie

Lukie Savant (425) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Ours are free!

But not really the same thing.

Which event are we talking, Sinkas?

5. hmmm - some of the Sydney Craft Beer Week events are also on the XXX-y side - extreme case in point Three Blue Ducks at $150 pp - five courses matched with five standard-range Bridge Road brews.....

Agree with MrKennedy as well re the 'no menu' approach to Beer Dinners - of course the chef then can't food match to beers that he doesn't know what they will taste like, either, as i assume the beers will be 'ready at last minute' like everything else in life....

6. sinkas

sinkas Aficionado (190) Australia Jul 9, 2008

Oh god no, I am not talking about the cool real beer eveents, the thing I took 4 staff to was at a CBD restaurant, beers were roughly $50 worth for bottle shop purchase, I think we all got a 100ml pour, food was amazing deepfreid samosasa, wedges and spirng rolls, hosts "offical beer geeks" refeerred to indian pale ale, referred to bigfoot as a belgina style american beer, and dismissed ALL tap beer as "fucking shite"
    All in all it was hilarious, cost was $80 each
    I corrected the Bigfoot mistake , with "you twat" at the end of my comment, got a big laugh
    it really was a horrid event,

7. The Roll Out the Barrels tasting was one of the best I've ever been to, worth every dollar.