1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer that plummeted in 2012

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by kort27, Jan 3, 2013.

1. kort27

kort27 Aficionado (240) Illinois Apr 23, 2009

Are there any beers that you feel got a whole lot worse in 2012? Recipe change, they brewed too much of it, you got sick of the style, etc..?

I read in another thread that Dark Lord fell out of the top 100. Now, I'm too lazy to actually look it up, but what other beers took a tumble in 2012, either on an official last, or just for you personally?

2. bcostner1

bcostner1 Savant (290) Tennessee Sep 8, 2010

For me, this year's FBS. I did not like it at all compared to previous years.

3. I'd say DL fell for me in 2011. Also think this years Black Tuesday was overly sweet, but maybe I'm just spoiled by BT with a year or so on it.

4. vande

vande Advocate (510) Illinois Jan 26, 2007

Miller Lite... That new triple hopped thing.... didn't do it for me ;)

5. Oh my God, a shocker. Someone thinking that Dark Lord is not good. Amazing. Never saw that one coming. I am shocked that the Floyds get anyone to show up for it anymore.

Photekut, Zach136 and DoubleJ like this.
  6. For all the upcoming posts bashing the most recent batch of Dark Lord, feel free to forward any unwanted bottles in my direction.

imduffman, beermeright, Rau71 and 7 others like this.
  7. hannydawg

hannydawg Initiate (0) Illinois Apr 4, 2010

Shitty beer, great beer festival.

jnoff78, kenm2118, Bung and 6 others like this.
  8. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Advocate (665) Illinois Oct 15, 2008

Normally I chuckle at the "x beer was better / hoppier / etc... last year threads", but I was also kind of taken aback by Founders Breakfast Stout. Typically my favorite seasonal beer that doesn't require me to go out of my way to grab a few of, but this year I was done after purchasing an initial 4 pack and having it on tap at two different places.

Cheers!

9. bound4er

bound4er Savant (435) Wisconsin Jul 4, 2007

The 2012 version of Double Trouble was no where close to the 2011 IMHO.

10. Idk why, but as mentioned before, FBS. I dont know if it's not as good, my palate has changed, or I'm just plain burned out on it. I labor through them anymore.

11. Colt .45 Double Malt was way less corn-infused than last years! :(

12. I thought FBS before I clicked on the link for the thread... only to find FBS mentioned.

13. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

FBS for me as well. It was just "off" this year (and I'm usually the one rolling my eyes when people say this)...disappointing.

14. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Wouldn't say it plummeted, but Celebration didn't do it for me the same way it has in previous years. Not really sure if it's me or the beer.

FarmerTed, hilliard114, Bung and 5 others like this.
  15. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

GL Xmas ale sucked ass this year.

16. Did all you FBS people only have the earlier batches... after 9/15 it has been as world class as ever!

Bung, Durb777, visualmartyr and 8 others like this.
  17. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I enjoyed it.

visualmartyr likes this.

18. I just had some on draft for the first time this season and couldn't really notice any differences from last years, which I have been drinking periodically throughout the year.

19. I'm gonna give some love for FBS, due to all the negativity towards it in this thread. Had last year's batch once and this year's many times. Still blown away every time.:)

craigo19, musicman7070, Bung and 9 others like this.
  20. TreeBeer

TreeBeer Zealot (80) Massachusetts Jun 27, 2012

i agree, Celebration seemed weaker this year than in years past

dawatts likes this.
  21. I Thought exactly the opposite.

22. Did you get a chance to try any of the stuff bottled in November? It was much fuller in body, and the coffee and chocolate stood out more.

23. Everything made by Founders. They had an extremely sub par year as a brewer.

CORKSCREWFISH likes this.
  24. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

I hear this every year...

25. gtermi

I agree. FBS was still amazing to me and I grabbed several 4 packs when I was in Chicago.

jglowe77 likes this.
  26. Founders has yet to disappoint me. Even Frangelic Mountain Brown was decent.

szmnnl99 and gtermi like this.
  27. I think there must have been something awry with the first batch of FBS that got sent out, particularly in bottles. I agree that it was not up to its usual high standard and was quite thin as others have mentioned. That said, I've had it on tap several times over the last few months, and it was just as awesome as always. I'm willing to chalk it up to one bad bottling and move on.

28. gtermi

Founders is my favorite brewery and I have yet to have a single beer from them that I didn't like

oldedog and comfortablynirm like this.
  29. superspak

superspak Poobah (1,010) Michigan May 5, 2010

Must have had the earlier batches. I had some bottled in August and they were under par for my expectations. I bought a 4 pack bottled in October and it was spot on.

Interesting, because this years Celebration was the most impressive for me, from what I remember in comparison to past years.

30. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

I thought this year's Celebration was way too nutmeg forward, and I didn't like the new hops they used.

Wait, these jokes are still funny, right?

31. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Too over the top for ya huh?

32. Gannon81

Gannon81 Aficionado (185) Oregon Jan 5, 2012

To me, this year's Christmas from Anchor's was no bueno.

33. bennetj17

bennetj17 Advocate (625) Arizona Oct 30, 2005

I couldn't stand the 2012 Hopslam. It was way way too alcoholic tasting or something. I bought way too much (as I do every year) but this year something was off. Might have just been the one batch though.

34. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (700) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Without judgement, Dark Lord may have dropped out of the Top 100 Popular, but it also crossed the 1000 review threshold and landed at #39 on the Beers of Fame.

Chaney likes this.
  35. scootny

scootny Savant (375) New York Dec 31, 2007

Wow. Now I'm bummed that I just drank the one in my cellar from a few years ago.

36. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (700) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

At the beginning of the year, I'm pretty sure Creme Brulee was on the Beers of Fame. At least, that's my excuse for why one has been sitting in my fridge for months. It appears to have dropped off the list, which is a relief because now I can just crack it and not worry about having to review it, or feeling bad if I drain pour it.

37. scootny

...And now I'm going to buy a four-pak! Just like Wall Street, " BUY...SELL"

38. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

You mad bro?

Dope, hilliard114, Bung and 1 other person like this.
  39. scootny

Small sips on the Creme, good stuff that quickly overwhelms that palate if not moderated.

40. FTFY