1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer that plummeted in 2012

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by kort27, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Hardly. But I don't understand the continuous blasting of Dark Lord on the forums. It is almost like some think that they score old beer karma points for dumping on Dark Lord. Trendy and fashionable I guess. It still seems to be wildly popular though.

2. That's just because it's medicore in general.

Brew33 likes this.
  3. tronto

tronto Aficionado (225) Kentucky Dec 22, 2010

FBS was not the same this year at all imo. It seems a little fishy to me that they are going to a six pack this year and keeping it the same price??? Maybe b/c they used cheaper coffee this year? Idk, just seems odd that when EVERY six pack beer seems to be going to an even pricier 4 pack lately, that founders would do the opposite. Especially the year that it taste cheap and not up to par with previous years. They had to have changed something in the recipe....

4. I tried FBS for the first time this year, and after reading all the hype about it, was completely let down. Glad to know a lot of you are including in in a list of let downs, maybe I'm not such a shitty beer drinker after all.

Rau71 likes this.
  5. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

The 2013 Founders Imperial Stout is way worse than 2012. I kid, I kid

6. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

This!

HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  7. These plummeted - right off the truck:

[​IMG]

8. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

I'm with you on this one.

9. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

I don't know about all the FBS hate- it's tasting pretty damn good right now.

10. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (575) California Dec 12, 2009

Sucaba had a little more heat than Abacus did in 2011!

11. Pennsylvania Brewing Company products.

12. xanok

xanok Savant (415) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

To me FBS is the same as it is every year. GF thinks Celebration is having its best year since she started drinking craft beer four years ago.

13. Nobody has mentioned BCBS. Just saying, after all the speculation about quality suffering under AB Inbev, it looks like it made it through fine.

2beerdogs and dman5400 like this.
  14. BCBS. I don't know what InBev did to that beer.. This year's was terrible!

15. Although I pretty much loathe the "this beer isn't as hoppy as last year threads" I have to say Nugget Nectar was the biggest let down in 2012. It just didn't have that big grapefruit presense I remembered so clearly. I know they had to tweak the recipe in the new brewhouse and had trouble getting it right the first few times. I hope they play with it a little more this year and get something closer to the original. Still look forward to having this year.

16. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

Sculpin.

2beerdogs likes this.
  17. And the spices were less pronounced as well, correct?

18. Same for me, although I heard the later batches were up to par with previous years. Unfortunately, I didn't try them after having one of the earlier offerings.

19. Gil_Smash

Gil_Smash Aspirant (35) New York Aug 28, 2012

Well Founders did change the FBS from a limited release to a seasonal, I work at a wine, beer, and spirits store where wine is the main thing we sell and we were previously only able to get a case or two each year due to the limited nature of the beer and the fact that we weren't able to sell too much Founders. This year, however, we are able to get basically as much as we want. I would assume that for that reason they probably aren't able to use quite as good ingredients as before.

20. RyFikes

RyFikes Savant (280) New York Jan 3, 2013

Ever since Matt Brewing (Saranac) bought Flying Bison Brewing, Rusty Chain has been stale, unflavorful, and generic.

21. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (450) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

last August I did a 5 year vertical of Dark Lord. The 2012 DL was a syrupy mess compared to the older vintages.

But the same has been said for every previous year of DL. It seems to be a beer that *requires* a couple of years in the cellar to become drinkable.

Beerisheaven likes this.
  22. I have some DL in the cellar and that seems to be the same exact thing everyone says. After about 2 years, all of a sudden everyone says it is very good. I have had DL maybe 3 times and I go in knowing that it will be sweet and over the top.

23. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

I agree 100%. I found there to be a huge difference in Double Trouble. It went from great to "meh".

tronto likes this.
  24. I had the same thought go through my head the other day until I realized I had just finished a Heady Topper.

25. I just recently got into Alpine and Nelson and I heard that their latest batch after an expansion was off. I wonder if the few Nelson's I had we're of that batch. Regardless, it was still pretty good.

26. I know it is not out yet, but can I be the first to say that this year's batch of Hopslam is not as good as past years.

2beerdogs and StuartCarter like this.
  27. phildo7pt9

phildo7pt9 Zealot (85) California May 1, 2011

I haven't had the founders CBS this year, last year was so phenomenal. Even if it wasn't as good as last year's, I would probably still be satisfied... I wasn't too fond with this year's Lukcy Basartd...

28. kylelenk

kylelenk Savant (395) Michigan Apr 17, 2012

I enjoyed FBS a ton when I had it on released day at the taproom. Seemed to be incredibly creamy/vanilla tasting. Bottles, in my opinion, have always lacked the advantages this beer has had on tap. Still, I haven't noticed a huge difference in taste from last year outside of it seems to have a little more bitter chocolate taste.

29. Revenant

FBS tasted NOTHING like Chocolate or Vanilla this year to me. Tasted like a tired, flat black stout. No different than a Guinness. Southern Tier Choklat absolutely DESTROYS FBS IMHO!

Rau71 likes this.
  30. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Sucaba, tasted backwards

Schwantz, 2beerdogs, ewright and 3 others like this.
  31. ABisonEgo

ABisonEgo Savant (290) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

even though im not too fond of dark lord (still good, but not great) after having so many other amazing brews, i still think showing up to dark lord is just another fun way to run into other ba's, get down on a tasting and just have an overall good time. Not to mention, all the guest brews they have there makes it totally worth it...

32. xanok

xanok Savant (415) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

I hope this is a joke.

I've had 2011 fresh and aged, and I must say, it is damn amazing both ways.

33. GreenFlash West Coast IPA - haven't had a good one since they moved to the new brewery - that new system seems to bring out the buttery/butterscotch flavor of carastan and the once over the top hops are no longer over the top.

Ballast Point Sculpin - Last couple of tries tasted nothing like that citrus juicy hop bomb I had when it first came to the Boston area

Bear republic HopRod Rye - granted only tried it twice recently, but not even close to what I remember - even bordering on undrinkable

ClockworkOrange likes this.
  34. Cele didnt have the normal amount of spices this year...:D

35. WITTBEER

WITTBEER Savant (255) Illinois Jan 12, 2008

Brown Shugga. It no longer tastes sweet and rich like it used to.

CuriousMonk and kylelenk like this.
  36. BP Sculpin. Nowhere near worth the $10+ pricetag on a bomber it commands on the east coast.

Had it several times on trips out west....a shadow of its former self IMO.

CuriousMonk likes this.
  37. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Every beer I had this year was boozy, less hoppy, and had a thinner mouthfeel than the '11 version.

JulianB and StuartCarter like this.
  38. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

I thought Double Trouble was still really good.

39. Ranbot

Ranbot Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

In my opinion, this discussion has more to do with individual's personal tastes changing than actual changes to the beers*. Unfortunately, I have no empirical to basis for my opinion, but neither does anyone else. ;)

*-Except Anchor's Christmas, which Anchor openly states changes year to year.

40. Revenant

Because EVERYONE MUST SALIVATE AT THE MERE MENTION OF BCBS......Right?

2beerdogs likes this.