1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer that plummeted in 2012

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by kort27, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Is that what happened? Even the fresh ones I've had lately have been lacking the hop punch.

SenorHops likes this.
  2. dickieb

dickieb Initiate (0) Rhode Island Mar 26, 2006

That beer has ruined many other IPA's for me. Its probably the cause for allot of beers going "down hill", with allot of breweries making they're beers Bigger, Stronger, Faster(hoppier) allot of old staples are going to loose the luster they once had.

ericj551 likes this.
  3. I don't normally so this, but holy shit dude. Your spelling and grammar make me want to throw up.

2beerdogs, Dools9, evilc and 6 others like this.
  4. Been plummeting since 2010.

SenorHops and Levitation like this.
  5. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

"I don't normally so this"......you tell him professor! Now pass that barf bag over when you're done!

6. Damnit.

evilc and ehammond1 like this.
  7. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Savant (325) Illinois Apr 22, 2011

Hehe!:)

8. dickieb

dickieb Initiate (0) Rhode Island Mar 26, 2006

I just looked back and that was pretty terrible, but the point valid none the less!

ericj551 and HipsterBrewfus like this.
  9. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (445) New York Jan 30, 2011

Bingo - We have a winner.

CuriousMonk and digdug1810 like this.
  10. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

Well, the late 2011-early 2012 vintage of Brown Shugga just plain Sucks! You're not bitter too, are you? :D
    This drives me crazy. Celebration ale hasn't changed recipe in 30 years. If it's not as good to you this year, it's you, not the beer!

11. StuartCarter

StuartCarter Savant (450) Alabama Apr 25, 2006

and this thread is done :D

12. xanok

xanok Savant (415) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

No not at all actually.

1. He blames it on InBev, which is just stupid. There's no basis that they, or the new head brewer changed the recipe.

2. He's saying it's a beer that plummeted, meaning he probably enjoyed last year's. From my experience with BCBS (09, 10, 11, 12) when it's fresh, it has generally been consistent year to year, with some variation of hotness. This year's is no different.

13. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (445) California Dec 21, 2011

I wouldn't say "plummeted" but Victory at Sea wasn't as good as years past. Still a tasty beer though.

14. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

For those mentioning FBS, I just bought my first bottle of it yesterday, twas bottled in August. Now I find out its not as good? Turds.

15. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Every beer plummets. Last year's offering are always the tits and the current batches are shit. :D

16. johnkale

johnkale Aficionado (215) Wisconsin Dec 19, 2009

Y'all must be keeping way more detailed (and easily referenced) notes than I am. Hell, even if my favorite styles and flavor characteristics didn't change every month I'd still find this sort of thing impossible to peg down.

17. I'm not saying celebration is or isnt as good as last year. But hops vary greatly season to season. I would imagine a brewery like Sierra Nevada probably gets a better pick of hops than nearly anyone (not too mention how many they grow themselves) but a recipe can stay the same and the beer can be significantly different.

Having said all that, has any beer ever gotten (or been claimed to have gotten) hoppier than previous?

18. Noelito76

Noelito76 Advocate (535) New York Oct 30, 2004

Yep, I noticed that FBS has stayed on the shelf at my beer store. I too felt let down by this year's. I've had it the prior 2 years and was blown away, but this year it was sub par.

19. yeah bcbs has definitely plummeted...please send unwanted bottle my way ;)

20. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I never implied that there was a recipe change. I even said in my post that it might have just been me. There's always the possibility I got a six pack that was handle incorrectly or something. Calm down.

21. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

I, juhst totely rofled.

Brew33 likes this.
  22. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

Westvleteren XII is off this year...just poured all ten bricks I bought into the toilet...stupid sellout monks.

2beerdogs and millertime416 like this.
  23. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

Gotta say I was disappointed by two of my seasonal favorites this year, FBS and Great Lakes Christmas Ale. The FBS was thinner and the coffee tasted bitter like they used some less than prime beans...

24. zappafrank

zappafrank Aficionado (170) Ohio Sep 9, 2012

I mean, when you get right down to it, Celebration is just another IPA. With so many breweries making IPAs and hop-forward beers, Celebration is bound to lose it's appeal.

2beerdogs likes this.
  25. zappafrank

zappafrank Aficionado (170) Ohio Sep 9, 2012

Boooo this man! Although, this was the first year I have had Victory at Sea and it was amazing, so....

26. Rogue has been on a downward trend for at least a couple of years, can't say just one, but all in general.

WassailWilly and millertime416 like this.
  27. I haven't had FBs before 2012 but after reading this thread, I feel more
    Confident in my crappy review and disappointment in it, especially with the hype that surrounds it

HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  28. whiterabbit

whiterabbit Savant (255) Ohio Jan 24, 2010

Busch - I don't want to head to the mountains...
    Budweiser - no longer the "King" of beers
    Miller High Life - did not live the "high life"
    Keith Stone may be smooth, but Keystone still sucks.....
    Milwaukee's Best may be there worst.

Oh, my bad. Topic is for Beers that Plummeted ONLY in 2012...

Disregard and keep reading.....................

WassailWilly likes this.
  29. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I loved the 2011 FBS that I had last NYE...didn't much like this year's at all...though it seems I may need to seek out a more recent bottling.

30. Bison Brewery Honey Basil didn't taste as potent and basily this year as it did in the past. I was so happy to get a four pack to have a friend try it, and then I opened the bottle expecting an amazing smell and decent but not overwhelming basil body, and was disappointed as it seemed to have been toned down. I apologized to my friend because it didn't live up to the hype I had given it.

31. I wouldn't say "plummet" but I thought it was kind of funny how quickly DFH 120 flew off the shelves all through 2011 and mid 2012 and the latest batch at my local store sat for weeks. While I've got nothing but love for DFH, I think the 120 hype is finally cooling down...as it should. A great conversation starter and an always interesting brew to bring to a party, but man...hard to drink.

32. Andwoo

Andwoo Aficionado (150) Texas Sep 21, 2010

By "brewing too much of it", do you mean the availability was too great, so the sensory experience wasn't as heightened and the beer didn't meet expectations? Welcome to the weirdest problem craft brewers face.

33. I've bought three 4 packs of FBS this season and thought it tasted awesome. Haven't really noticed any batch variations either. Did not have any previous years versions but its pretty tasty stuff and it lived up to my expectations. Celebration was really good too this year, I bought a case worth.
    It might sit on shelves where you are, but here in MA, FBS has come in and is gone in a matter of a few days to a week tops at the stores where I shop.

34. Thecherryman

Thecherryman Initiate (0) Arizona Dec 8, 2010

I thought 2012 hopslam was a bit off as well

35. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

Taking notes...get it on tap. Shit I live in CALIFORNIA!!!:eek:

36. 2beerdogs

Hey!!! I get it!!!:D

37. 2beerdogs

Fooking klasik!!!
    ;)

38. 2beerdogs

Funny comment, and oh...classic avatar!!!

39. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

So weird, I picked up a 4 pack of FBS a while ago and I was underwhelmed. Good to know that the later bottles may not be the case. Not sure if I want to go out and buy another 4 pack though.

40. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

I agree 100%. In the past, my wife and I typically will drink through two cases a year, maybe more, but this year I picked one case to start off and after drinking the first few we looked at each other and said uh-oh, this is not the Nugget Nectar either of us remember. It was a struggle to get through the case this year which sucked. I am hoping this year it returns to form. I will certainly pick some up, but I will play it safe with just a 6-pack to start off and figure out whether or not to get more.