1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer-thirty at work?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MammaGoose, Feb 14, 2013.

1. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I'm a radchemist (radioactive chem) at an environmental lab, and I love the company I work for. Every once in awhile, only a few times a year, they announce a beer-thirty. At 4:30 on the designated day, usually a Thirsty Thursday or a Friday, we all get to quit our work, and gather for some brews, then go home. Serious morale boost. This is the only place I've ever worked for that has a pool in the middle of the work day to collect beer money to have later that afternoon...while still on the clock, lol.

We're having a beer-thirty today. Instead of contributing to the pool, I brought a few of our homebrews and some SN Torpedo that I had left. I'm proud to say that pretty much all of our lab nerds have at least an appreciation of craft beer over BMC, but I definitely remain the go-to beer nerd. And I embrace it. I absolutely brought my favorite tulip glass, and I will endure the comments about being a beer snob. I'm anticipating that my Torpedo will be a bit too hoppy for most, so it's safe, lol.

Anyone else have a beer-thirty?
  2. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

When I worked in advertising it was always beer/wine/scotch thirty. From about 11:30 am on, all day, every day.
  3. I am so happy to hear this story. It's good that some companies remember the importnace of keeping workers happy. Additionally, big-ups to you for using these times to showcase your homebrew and spread the word of craft. If it catches on who knows what your beer thirties will look like? Casks in the break room? Strong cheeses to pair with brews? Randals? It could get nuts.
    Torieos, leezy, gir02021 and 3 others like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Sadly working for the Government means we aren't allowed to have any fun during the work day.
  5. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

THIS!! Forget beer thirty, when they actually allow us to leave early on a holiday (Christmas eve, new years eve, etc), I have to swipe through my lunch hour and eat an orange at my desk for sustenance. G'damn govt work.
    MattOC and Hanzo like this.
  6. dckepley

dckepley Savant (310) Iowa Aug 13, 2006

I'm a chef in a restaurant, so every once in a while we will crack a few beers to share (right now we happen to have two cases of Hopslam)...but I'd rather call it "menu research" or "quality control";)
    Vonstein15 likes this.
  7. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I feel your pain. I actually had a boss once tell the employees they were not allowed to laugh at their desks because a visitor might think we weren't doing any work. Typing furiously on BA while at work is prefectly acceptable however.
  8. Agree wholehearthedly. God forbid morale being boosted as a gov't employee.
  9. working at a large liquor store by law I can't do that haha, but I do get to drink when we have rare beer tastings off the premises! I have to say I'm jealous though.
  10. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

are you Don Draper or Roger Sterling or Peggy Olsen?
  11. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

My beer thirty is the first available thirty after work
    Zimm and powz87 like this.
  12. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

Working at the liquor store; whenever people come in with samples, when I'm running a tasting, and when I'm thirsty.
    Working on the beach as a lifeguard we have a code called '5:31'. Our shift ends at 5:30 and if you get a text/call saying '5:31?,' that means meet at the local beach bar for drinks. I can't wait for summer.
    Also, as a guitarist in a band, most the time our tabs are paid and I definatly take advantage but make sure I don't get drunk enough to play sloppy. (I think I've only restarted a song ONCE in my ten year live playing career)

It's safe to say I work in drinking friendly atmostpheres.
  13. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Actually can't bring myself to watch that show. I hear it's great, but I can't laugh at it having lived it.
  14. Pando

Pando Savant (415) Connecticut Dec 5, 2011

Are you building a case against me for shipping beer over state lines?! I know entrapment is out because I technically asked you if you wanted to trade first but you hovered GBS over my head! :)
    Hanzo likes this.
  15. jmw

jmw Savant (430) North Carolina Feb 4, 2009

Ditto this. Hell I'd just settle for decent pay.
    ant880 likes this.
  16. You are missing out, great show.

I was going to reply to your initial post with a Don Draper reference but someone beat me to it.
  17. modern

modern Aficionado (210) Ohio May 31, 2012

Years ago, I worked in a place where we had a coke machine that we stocked. Every slot had its corresponding soda label except for one that was marked with a hand written sign, "Out of Order! Mgmt not responsible for lost coins, do not press" This, of course, was the slot with the High Life. Say what you will about crappy beer, this was awesome.
  18. Pegli

Pegli Savant (305) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

I too am a chemist (marine) at a small enviromental company. Back when you could actually make a living as a scientist, the boss would take us all out for lunch and beers every Friday. Good times.
    seakayak likes this.
  19. Work for a beer/wine/dry goods distributor (graphic design). Unfortunately, their policy is: "We're not happy til you're feeling crappy". Tried to sneak a guinness (with my meal) at a restuarant during my lunch hour once, but got a talking to. But couldn't exactly say, "Trust me, if I wanted to get tipsy, I'd need a lot more than one 4% ABV beer with a large meal".
  20. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

A company I do business with (in employee benefits nonetheless) actually lists "Beer Fridays" as one of the employee benefits on their website. On Friday afternoon the CEO drives down to the local bottle shop and picks up a few 6 packs of something new or interesting and around 4 the workday is over and beers are cracked.
    djsmith1174 and CurtFromHershey like this.
  21. Used to work for a small company which was very lax about having a beer or two over lunch. The owner even had a fridge in his office stocked with beer for when he had clients there. Currently working at a much larger company which can't have a policy like that since undoubtedly someone would ruin it for everybody by showing up after lunch completely tanked.
  22. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

There's a bar adjacent to my office that always has Fuller's London Pride and ESB on tap, among others, along with other revolving taps, so there's invariably something there that I'm pleased to drink. One of my colleagues and I hold mid-afternoon "work meetings" there twice a week and I must say that my working life has never felt so civilized.
    Nectar likes this.
  23. GilGarp

GilGarp Advocate (510) Colorado Mar 14, 2007

Working at the second largest home improvement retailer, that type of activity would be frowned upon, unfortunately. Therefore, beer thirty is thirty minutes after I punch out for the day.
    Nectar likes this.
  24. Pegli

Pegli Savant (305) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

In today's digital age, working from home is becoming a much more widely accepted practice as well...;)
    Zimm and Mothergoose03 like this.
  25. I firmly believe if I could have a beer or two during work, i would be a far more effective employee. but working for a multi-national ccompany, I don't see that happening.

So to combat that, we go out fridays and have a couple beers at lunch, and we play the beer fairy game. Where every once in a while a group of us randomly leave bottles of beer on someones desk
  26. I need a beer after my eighth grade class.
    leezy, Zimm, Mothergoose03 and 3 others like this.
  27. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

or do any work...
    Hanzo likes this.
  28. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Posting this much on a web forum is a lot of work I'll have you know.
    djsmith1174 and fredmugs like this.
  29. You're a little young to be drinking. haha
    KingBiscuit, VncentLIFE and Hanzo like this.
  30. My beer-thirty is at home. If I drink and drive, I'd be better off driving right to the police station than driving home. That and I often confuse beer with Lay's potato chips - I can't have just one.
    Judgie likes this.
  31. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

A buddy of mine works at a financial technology firm in downtown Boston and they do this every Friday, company paid for. Rotates who does the buying, so it's always hit or miss. A lot of Coronas during the summer, but he always tries to bring the goods when it's his turn.
  32. pdoran10

pdoran10 Savant (290) Minnesota Jun 30, 2009

33. klinger

klinger Aficionado (160) Ohio Oct 9, 2012

Damn, I still work in advertising and we don't get a beer thirty. Boring owners.
  34. [​IMG]
    At first I thought you meant the beverage beer thirty...I'm glad you didn't. That's pretty awesome you have that. I work at a university and while I have a lot of beer loving co-workers and bosses, I doubt drinking at work is going to happen. I'd love to be sipping on a nice IPA at my desk though.
  35. Damn, I missed it by that much. You beat me to it, nice.
  36. A good portion of my day is working with beer graphics. It's hard to stare at pictures of some delicious Allagash, Rogue, Ommegang, Unibrou, Brooklyn Beer Company and Sierra Nevada, without feeling like you could kill for a beer.

Then there's the fact that there's a warehouse within walking distance (one hallway away) that's full of the stuff. Iron will, man. Iron will.
  37. I'm a radcook (Radical Cook) at a restaurant. You better believe we're drinking when the dinner rush is over.
  38. videofrog

videofrog Savant (470) Texas Nov 13, 2010

My company has "deck parties" about 5 or 6 times a year, usually from 4-6 on a Thursday, in which the craft beer flows from kegs (mostly local). (512), Live Oak, Deschutes, and Shiner seem to always make appearances. We also have a homebrew club that meets regularly.
  39. I work for a Engineering company and we can have a couple beers at work after 3:30 on Fridays. Granted I am rarely in the office so it's not as prevalent as it would be if I was.
  40. Old school outside sales with good ol' boys. It happens...