1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer-thirty at work?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MammaGoose, Feb 14, 2013.

1. We have a Beer-thirty about once a month or so. Usually a Friday. We close up a couple of hours early. Sometimes we lock the office doors and open something in the conference room. Sometimes we go across the street to the steakhouse.
    We don't collect money, it is always on the boss's tab.

2. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Or a little old to still be in 8th grade.

Torieos likes this.
  3. we drank lagunitas and carved pumpkins last year. That was pretty sweet.

4. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

My boss would take a nap in the afternoon because he drank so much at lunch. I don't think I bought myself a drink for 6 years. Either my boss would pay, or someone would expense me. This was my "fine wine and bourbon" era.

5. premierpro

premierpro Savant (315) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I have a fridge in my office. Beer thirty starts whenever I want it!

Zimm and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  6. Chris77McGrath

Chris77McGrath Savant (280) Ohio Feb 8, 2013

Jealous, we use to get together after work and drink quite often. Things are changing.

7. I'm sure other remote workers (remokers) can attest that 'beer-thirty' is actually a difficult test to pass on a daily basis.

Jfriz25 and Pegli like this.
  8. The department in the hospital I used to work at had "Liver Rounds" every other month or so. Not so much at my new hospital.

9. Jason

Jason Founder (1,365) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

My beer :30 is at 11:30am if we have a staff meeting, 12:30pm on normal days. ;-)

Ri0 and Mothergoose03 like this.
  10. As a teacher or student? ;)

11. I recently retired, and the first thing I noticed was that I don't know what day of the week it is anymore (nor do I care), and the second thing I noticed is that I don't really look at clocks anymore. I could fill in the ??:30 with any number that I want, but I generally choose a number with a PM after it.

Keep the faith, all of you, you'll get there someday. :D

Crusader likes this.
  12. That would be nice to drink at work. Sadly where I work most people drive forklifts and moto jacks and stuff so sobriety is a must.

13. Enjoying a beer :30 ( I guess not technically :30, beer :02?) as we speak.

14. I have a beer thirty almost everyday at my job. Well most of the time it's wine but still...

15. Kerrie

Kerrie Savant (485) Michigan Aug 24, 2012

My bf's job has two owners that are beer nuts and home brewers, so every now and then the bosses will bring in a few samples. Also, whenever there's some sort of gathering (usually if someone is leaving) they go out to lunch and are allowed to drink. I'm jealous. I guess they used to drink more in the office but they cracked down on it.

As for my job, I can't drink on the clock but we've had a few after hours gatherings. I happen to work right behind a local brewery so when the weather gets nice, I plan to start biking to work and sometimes grab a beer later when it's still light enough out to bike home.

16. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Alcohol is not allowed on any company property. Having alcohol on company ground will get one fired (homebrew smuggling is a fun sport). There are no official rules if you go out at lunch and pay out of pocket, but I reckon if one returned a little in the bag they'd be fired - actually I know this. When on the company dime, for us peons there is a strict limit on business lunches and dinners and you have to provide an itemized receipt (which is not impossible to avoid, you just won't get reimbursed). As anyone who's been around a while knows, it totally depends on who you are how strictly the rules are enforced. I have certainly witnessed multiple bottles of high-end wine and expensive mixed drinks at some meals that would get me in the bean counters' office for a pee-pee slap if it was my dinner bill.

We used to have groups get together for happy hours. People were silly enough to put the "happy hour at..." invites on corporate e-mail - strike one. Some dumbass paid for the entire afternoon's festivities on his corporate AmEx and tried to get reimbursed - strike two. Some total out of control moron got stopped and rung up on a DUI - game over.

It has started again under the guise of "network building", "work/life balance", and "creating a more sociable work environment". No invites are issued on company systems, but hardly under the radar. It will last until some overly zealous dickwad gets stopped again or gets in a wreck (or worse).

17. This was a near weekly occurrence in my old office (architecture field). I knew of other offices that had a similar policy (also in architecture). One of the perks that makes up for low-pay, long hours, and plenty of high stress :)

18. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (955) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

FTFY. kidding

19. dickieb

dickieb Initiate (0) Rhode Island Mar 26, 2006

The fire department frowns upon the beer thirty, however the second we get out the bar across the street fills up awfully quick after a rough shift.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  20. No alcohol allowed on premise. Any company party it's pay as you go for drinks, all off site. If you do anything that appears that you are under the influence you can be tested on the spot. Coming in hung over can get you canned. 1/10th of the legal limit and you no longer have a job.

In my past life I worked across the street from Boulder beer in Boulder Co. We had beers with lunch. Very laid back and super cool and awesome ownership. The Boulder beer guys were cool too.

Enjoy

21. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Used to have a regular Friday lunch at a local Mexian joint with some good Ontario craft on tap. Unfortunately they sold and are redoing the concept. :(
    Had the largest tequila selection I've ever seen. At least a hundred different ones. :cool:

22. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

I'm a teacher and football coach. Obviously the coaches will get together on weekends after scrimmages to bury the hatchet as well as after games on Friday nights. Typically the guys come over to my palace and will drink the lightest beer in my fridge. I keep Macro in there for this reason. Our school
    Is on 4x4 block schedule so as a younger teacher and to hang out with the older teachers that don't coach, I have adopted what I call 5th period which I do on grid has every now and then. The teachers will
    Come over and we will have a couple beers and just BS for a couple hours until they go home. I provide the beer and liquor
    But I feel I am paying homage to these elder Teachers who showed me the ropes early on in my teaching career. I have so much beer there little amount they drink does not put a dent in my stash and I usually busy out 1 bomber of good beer...

I really think this concept of hanging out and getting away from your job promotes positive energy in corporations. I know google
    Does something where their employees have a break with hammocks and video games employees can play on their break and it has turned out to be a positive experience. Too many times people go to work, then just go home without spending time with their coworkers. I think having time to unwind and get out of the workplace really builds relationships and commraderie with the employees.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  23. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (955) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Your company. Awesome.

24. In 2008 I started working for a couple of guys who now have a nation-wide business, which will remained unnamed. I was the second employee they hired and, being a very small operation, they treated us quite well. The loft above our office had a foosball table, pin-pong, flat screen TVs, a kitchen, and sectionals to relax on during breaks. Just about every Friday, we'd run down to the local beer shop at lunch, grab some beer (I grabbed craft and they grabbed BMC), and we'd put a couple back at the office during the afternoon ... or head to the lake to drink and wakeboard. This was in a large midwest city, so I had some exceptional beer to choose from. The company is much, much larger now, and for obvious reasons no longer allows alcohol on company properties. The guys were great, the job was one of a kind, and the beer:30s were a blast!

25. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

I'm lucky enough to work with several other BA's. Beer fridge in my office gets put to good use.

26. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Ahhh...beer thirty was wonderful!!! It started, of course, about an hour earlier than it was supposed to, lol. There's something about cracking open brews that puts everyone on an even playing field. The maintenance guy, the bench chemist lab techs, the scientists (me), and the managers. I shared my homebrews which everyone seemed to like. One of my good work friends, who is not much of a beer drinker but a BMC-er when she is, loves coffee and she really enjoyed our coffee stout homebrew. There were some Blue Moons (meh...), I brought the SN Torpedo which I thoroughly enjoyed, and we had a good time.

Employee morale is pretty major as far as company productivity goes. Beer thirty is a huge morale boost :)

27. Baab200

Baab200 Savant (340) New York Jan 9, 2013

But the rest of the world acts like we just get to sit around all day, do nothing, maybe take a nap, ear some doughnuts, then collect a pay check.

I know we would get fired on the spot even if we brought a beer into the building to give to a co-worker

28. Baab200

Baab200 Savant (340) New York Jan 9, 2013

Could you please tell my boss this?

29. mborden

mborden Savant (420) New York Jan 28, 2009

Speak of the devil. My boss is a homebrewer (as am I) and at 4pm he called a "special meeting" where he distributed bottles of his latest Porter. It's pretty delicious, and you can't beat sipping on a brew and talking about homebrewing while at work.

30. I worked at an advertising agency in Boston that had free beer from about 4-6 on Thurs, Fri
    double tap kegerator - Miller Lite and Sam Seasonal - no complaints here

31. lsummers

lsummers Advocate (535) California Jun 21, 2010

We have two beers always on tap at work. Artists gotta be full of.... art. Right?

32. I work for a business forms distributor. We are located in Albuquerque, NM. This used to be a dry state on Sundays. That law was written out years ago and now we must wait until high noon on Sundays to purchase any liquor. Years ago we used to stock beer (Bud and Bud Light) in the soda pop machine. An ice cold one (even if it was just domestic crap) for 50cents a can. It was all going smoothly until one of our employees who had keys to the building drank his alloted amount on Saturday night and decided he would break into the building and raid the soda pop machine. Needless to say, once the boss found out the beer came out of the machine. He no longer works for us and was throughly yelled at. He's lucky that is all that happened to him.