1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer Ticking Documentary

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by xensure, May 15, 2012.

1. 2beerdogs, tony32408 and djbreezy like this.
  2. dukes

dukes Aficionado (180) Apr 2, 2012

What is beer ticking? I got bit by a tick once...I hope it isn't anything like that....
    Rudy and WhitePumpkin like this.
  3. Beer ticking is a sort of self competition to do with beer. All of the rules and background are mentioned in the documentary.

Basically ticking is where a person always orders new beers and after drinking them he or she writes down the name of the beer, the brewer, and the ABV. To qualify as a "official" tick the person must drink at least a half-pint. And that is about it. The main guy they profile in the film is the "champion" ticker and he gets his 40,000th tick in the film.
  4. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

Yeah, I watched that a couple years ago and loved it. Those guys are having a blast. I'd certainly go tick some brews with 'em. It's worth watching.
  5. There are a ton of people like that on this site. Just sub Star Wars/D&D/video games for trainspotting and add barrel aging and trades to arrive at the U.S. version.

EDIT: that said, the scenes of the hand-pulled ales are making me thirsty for some real ale.
    JrGtr likes this.
  6. Mick the Tick..that crazy son of a gun!
  7. This looks like a job for the Reluctant Scooper...
    DmouthCaliBrewz likes this.
  8. "sport" huh? Sounds a lot like drinking and writing to me.
    yamar68 likes this.
  9. bleakies

bleakies Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

The national pastime of Denmark.
  10. Yeah that is why I put quotes around it. I am not sure what you call it, but 40,000 beers is undeniably awesome.
  11. I hear ya. Just the documentary calling it that, lol.
  12. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Savant (305) California Apr 16, 2005

A half-pint seems like a particularly British aspect of ticking. IME here in the states, most tickers find a pour of just a couple ounces sufficient for a tick.
  13. Sean9689

Sean9689 Advocate (705) Illinois Mar 17, 2009

Here in the US, we have Nick The Tick....nickd717...he's been slacking as of late though.
    cosmicevan likes this.
  14. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

The video has it's own narrow definition.

In common use in the craft beer community I see it as having a pejorative sense. Usually it does not mean mere record keeping of beer reviews. Basically the deal is that tickers focus heavily on getting credit for trying a beer, regardless of how small the sample was, rather than the normal experience of drinking and savoring a normal portion (a pint or two).

Tickers prize how many ticks they have, and are "proud" of their number. They tend to focus on quantity over quality of experience, as it is common to hear of getting more than a dozen or so ticks for different people from one twelve ounce bottle at someone's tasting. Tickers are more likely to tick (and rate) a beer that was infected, expired, light damaged, etc. because it would be a life-crisis if a single bottle of beer was purchased yet one did not "get credit" for the experience. Some tickers' obsession with their number of beers tried is so important that it's as if their self-esteem depends on it. They commonly confuse having a high number with being knowledgeable about craft beer, beer styles, and brewing.
    DrAwkward82 likes this.
  15. teal

teal Aficionado (195) Wisconsin May 3, 2012

Interesting. Never would have evolved to something like that myself.

I drink beer because I like it. Like the taste. Want more than a sip.

Sex without a "finish" is just aerobics.... Beer without enjoying the beer itself for want of a "tick" seems to be the same to me.

If it floats someone's boat - great, more power to them. Just not for me.
  16. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Please educate me. What is a "tick"?
  17. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,015) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Could just be me, but I don't necessarily view ticking so negatively. For example, I'm currently trying to tick the Beers of Fame list (I tend to set pretty attainable goals for myself, keeps my self-esteem up :)), meaning I buy a full bottle or glass of a given beer and post a full review. To me, that's ticking. I'm not even counting Beers of Fame I had before I started reviewing. Now, there are probably other meanings closer to what you describe, but I've never limited the term ticking to such a negative, narrow definition.

Not sure if a BA poll has been done on this, but I'd like to see what the dominant BA perception of ticking is.
    dbrauneis likes this.
  18. draheim

Like a check in a box. A notch in one's belt.
    icetrauma likes this.
  19. yemenmocha

Well, a lot of folks here are tickers, so that would show up in the polls and I'm sure they don't necessarily see it so negatively.

Also I didn't mean to imply if someone is a ticker, then they do all of the things I mentioned. Those are just some of the behavioral examples.

When someone says "heh... they got 15 ticks out of that bottle of Hopslam" it isn't devoid of negative connotation, in my experience.
  20. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

or like those swedish guys on rb that take one sip. Technically if you are just trying as many as you can that is all that is necessary. What is absurd when people review these tiny samples.
  21. Some review based on tiny samples.
    All the gold/silver/bronze medals at WBC, GABF etc. . . are based on tiny samples.

If you tick beers, you can be seen negatively as going quantity over quality, status seeking, all or nothing approach to beer (you're only doing it for the tick, no other enjoyment).

If you don't tick beers, you can be seen negatively as having a closed mind/not searching for quality, choosing familiarity over adventure/the search for quality.

I dunno, I'd like the opportunity to try any/every beer at least once. And yet, I love having the old standby: I have one fridge dedicated to nothing but Sierra Nevada products (mostly Pale Ale & Bigfoot).
    szmnnl99 likes this.

22. I'd have to agree. It is addressed in the film, although very shortly, that ticking can end up focusing on more quantity over quality. Frankly I think Beer Advocate got it right. If you look at your "My Beers" page it is only the beers you have reviewed. I think that is a good thing because it (hopefully) means you took the time to appreciate what that brewer was trying to achieve with that beer. Whether it popped or flopped doesn't really matter because you rating will accommodate for that. As opposed to the ticking in the video where they pour beers in plastic bottles exposing them to light and oxygen just to get the tick because they can't drink it right then and there. That seems a bit excessive and pointless.

However, I think that keeping track of the beers you have enjoyed is an interesting thing and appeals to the hoarder/collector in all of us. So again I think that is a place where Beer Advocate succeeded and has a great use to appeal to this nature.

I have a personal goal to try and review the top100 so I under stand the ticking sensation, but I by no means would just sip one and write it down and move on. I want to try them because I want to experience what others already have and hopefully find something new for my self out of it.
  23. yemenmocha

Yep, and I have nothing against record keeping. I did that heavily in the 90's, including GABF trips. It was mostly for what to try again when I travel to the respective cities. Reviewing is great too, with a full pint review mindset.

I just think there's a more common ticking behavior out there that fits some of the descriptions I gave. I'm not entirely against it - come on, someone has to buy those old, unpopular beers collecting dust at specialty retailers.
  24. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

He is more active on RB.
  25. superspak

superspak Champion (850) Michigan May 5, 2010

I tick, sort of. Personally I feel that in order to post a rating I need to have a 330 ml or more sample to accurately judge a beer's taste profile(and 250 ml for JW Lees and other high gravity offerings, like Rogues imperial series that come in smaller sized servings lol). I have found on numerous occasions that if I have had a small sample at a tasting, the full serving size usually warrants quite a different opinion. I usually just throw tastings in my 'hads' as a result. I find that my opinion changes as I make my way through the glass. Some beers do turn out to be quite cloying, which has a negative effect; along with other variables.

Cheers!
    TongoRad likes this.
  26. RyanBeer13

RyanBeer13 Initiate (0) Virginia Jan 24, 2011

I tick Im up to 3200.
    to each his own half pints a lot I use at least 4 oz
  27. 1539 ticks and counting...
    Wowcoolman, RyanBeer13 and jmgrub like this.
  28. socon67

socon67 Advocate (600) New York Jun 18, 2010

I consider myself a ticker, and happily consider it a good thing. I'm finding the "Had's" option is nice to note beers tried, but in an environment where a review wasn't justified (small sample, after a few beers at a beer fest, etc.).

Originally just started reviewing every new beer tried since June 2010 without a goal of getting to some magic number. I'm closing in on 370 (which will happen tonight at a Founder's tap takeover). I look at it more of an accomplishment\education of trying many great craft beers than trying to light up BA lists in blue to check off reviews.

The only change I've noticed by doing this is that I am torn when there is a beer I like available and one I haven't tried. Depends on my mood whether I "tick" a new beer or go ahead and have one I know I like.
  29. I would have watched some of the video but the G-D ads that precede it really turn me off. I might as well watch broadcast TV.
  30. fartmaster

fartmaster Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2011

i want to go to europe even more...beer festivals are more laid back...beer is more than a fad, but a way of life. amazing
    yemenmocha and beertunes like this.
  31. fartmaster

fartmaster Initiate (0) California Dec 27, 2011

can some explain why they pour it in a bigger glass after the initial pour?
  32. Inchay

Inchay Zealot (90) California Feb 24, 2012

It looks like the places where they're doing that you have "your" glass and the initial pour is more of a measuring one to ensure you get the proper amount.
  33. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (915) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

I'm doing the same thing but in addition to just the Beers of Fame, I'm looking at different styles and choosing the more highly rated beers that are available in my area. I enjoy trying the different beers.

I am contemplating trying and reviewing some of the Bottom of the List beers so that I have a more well rounded set of beers tried (better distribution of reviews) and remember why I love good craft beer so much.
  34. draheim

:( Save your money. For me anyway, drinking the best beers is all the reminder I need.
    Cheers!
  35. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (915) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Well, I was planning on having them at outdoor events that don't allow bottles (so bringing a single "bottom" beer along with some of the better stuff in cans). Certainly not looking to accomplish all 100. But sometimes it is hard to resist a beer that costs less than a dollar. :)
  36. beertunes

I've actually found some low-rated beers that I liked and enjoyed, just because I was ticking some cheap stuff I saw at the store.
  37. draheim

I suppose. My mind immediately went to crappy adjunct lagers but that's probably not the only low-rated beer on BA.
  38. beertunes

Just off the top of my head, I went to a local restaurant last year just because they had $2 Michelobs during Happy Hour. They had a nice grain taste and weren't as crappy as I remembered. I went back 1-2 times a week during the rest of the summer. I should check to see if the still have that deal, now that the weather is warming back up.
  39. I'm a ticker. When I have a new beer, I soak the label off the bottle and add it to my binder. Actually 4 binders now.
    If it's a can or a bottle that can't be de-labelled, or a draft, I take a digital picture and run off a print. So far, I'm up to 2063. All are full beers, no sip and run. Except for a few really evil sink pours, I have consumed the whole brew, be it bottle, can, or draft. It's a hobby like stamp collecting. It can get expensive, but so can any dedicated hobby. At least I get a few cents back for the empty. If I had a nickle for every beer I've had, I'd spend it on more beer.
    Couldn't see the video, as it's not available for viewing in Canada. Anyone got a link I could tap into?
    zid likes this.
  40. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

thanks for this. the documentary rules!!!
    2beerdogs likes this.