1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer traders vs. non-beer traders: The Price of Craft

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by SpeedwayJim, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Every other form of alcohol has expensive tiers that are socially acknowledged (wine, scotch, bourbon, etc.). Beer has just been chastised as barbaric swill until the craft movement started to change the scene. I don't think beer price is getting out of hand as much as it's just catching up.
  2. I think it's about other factors that are correlated both with wanting to be a trader and with being willing to splurge for higher priced beers, not that one necessarily causes the other. A couple other people have mentioned this, and they're right on the money. A big one is just the amount of money you have to play with, but I also think there's an attitude component. Even within the incredibly niche group that exists on this site there's a lot of different views and that's going to reflect in how you see prices. It spans the whole spectrum from people are very casual about it and willing to drink the same great beer every night of the year to people who basically never desire to try something they've had before and look at it more like a collector or a hobbyist than as a drinker. Inevitably this is going to have a profound effect both on what price point you consider reasonable and on whether trading holds interest for you.The two are definitely related, but I'm not sure the relationship is causal the way you're looking at it.
  3. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I don't trade, I hunt. When I travel I will bring locals back.
    Jwale73 likes this.
  4. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (670) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

My habits have definitely changed. I'd say that on a week per week basis, I'm spending about the same and maybe even more; however, I haven't done a trade in close to a year (it's pretty easy to drop $60-$100 a shot) and I'm re-visiting a lot of enjoyable beers that have a fair price point (i.e SN Torpedo & Seasonals, mix packs that are on sale, etc. ) and developing a cellar of easily accessible beers that cellar well (Old Stock, Rochefort Chimay, etc.). I'm also chasing less beer.
  5. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

Overnight is probably the worst way to go. Your beer probably goes in an un(der)pressurized cargo compartment then. Over land is probably much safer for the beer.
  6. I was referring to your previous post about absurd shipping charges - not the best way to ship. I agree overland is much safer for beer.
  7. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

yeah i figured they probably used overnight/2 day... i didn't REALLY think they hired the pony express.
  8. I only do in-person trades, and mostly with people I know at that. I also travel a lot which helps accomplish this, and allows me to browse & purchase stuff that's not local to me. Saves a ton of money, risk & stress (mostly shipping-induced.) Am pretty happy with what I have been able to enjoy over the years using this method, and it has kept it affordable for me.
    Jwale73 likes this.
  9. alanc

alanc Aficionado (105) California Aug 13, 2009

It is all how you justify it. My thought is a 50.00 dollar fed ex bill to send a 12 bottle shipper across the country in less expensive than a plane trip to go grab it myself. That is assuming you can locate the said beers you want on the shelf. On the other side, in So CA there are plenty of choices locally you can still enjoy where you do not have to trade to get the "good stuff". People always want what they don't have and will overlook what is right in front of them.

On a side note, I am on a few different forum for other hobbies and the same topic pops up in every one. Craft beer is no different and the costs will undoubtably continue to rise.
  10. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (450) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

I've only traded once so far, and it was in person with a guy I met on Instagram. I actually have one trade in the works right now, also with a dude I met on Instagram from Cali. I've never traded on BA. I kind of don't even wanna get into trading on here because, as many people have already pointed out, the shipping costs are exorbitant. Plus, living in the Philly area, we get a pretty wide variety of beers, and a lot of limited release stuff too, so I don't really feel the need to trade when more than likely I can find the beer myself if I just look hard enough. But that said, I am pretty psyched to get a box with the Big Bad Baptist in it! Trading has it's pros and cons, but the $$$ will keep me from doing it even semi-regularly.
  11. Until I can walk into my local beer store or a Whole Foods and can say that Ive tried every single beer they have there, I dont really see the need to trade.
  12. arfenhouse

arfenhouse Savant (285) California Oct 29, 2012

Tons and tons of good beers in my area to try. I'll probably get into the trading game in a few years.
  13. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Something's not right there. I just sent a six bottle shipper from CA to NY and it only cost me $17. Was it via carrier pigeon?
  14. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I am guessing the wine was sent to a rural area,, which both FedEx and UPS charge extra.
    fox227 likes this.