1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer trip beers to pick up in Texas

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by BeerMeFitz, Mar 23, 2013.

1. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (330) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

Hey,
    My buddy is going to Dallas and Houston next week and he asked if I want any beers from Texas. What are some great beers that he can get farely easily at liquor stores in those two cities? Thanks for any help in this matter. Cheers, Fitz

2. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Texas Feb 13, 2012

He might get lucky and find some St Arnold Devine Reserve 13, released this week. But in my opinion, any St Arnold brew would be a winner (except Fancy Lawnmower, I don't like it).

3. ChanceK

ChanceK Initiate (0) Texas Feb 13, 2012

Or anything Real Ale, those are my to favorites that are pretty easy to find.

starkmarvelo likes this.
  4. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Karbach in Houston for sure!

UHCougar12 and jbeezification like this.
  5. Heretic42

Heretic42 Savant (475) Texas Aug 31, 2011

Dallas: Lakewood Temptress
    Houston: Various Karbach offerings
    Both: Jester King

It might also be easier to suggest things if you're interested (or specifically not interested) in certain styles

6. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Advocate (500) Nevada Jan 20, 2010

2012 Real Ale Sisyphus :)

thebigyellowjoint likes this.
  7. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (730) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Fresh St Arnolds Endeavour..recently brewed batch (3.20) should be in Htown at least
    Jester King Funk Metal and El Cedro
    Lakewood The Temptress
    Deep Ellum IPA (wish they would can date; rumor of some inconsistincies batch to batch)
    St Arnolds Divine 13
    Hear good things about Karbach
    Southern Star Buried Hatchet (you may already get that, haven't looked at seekabrew)

8. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

This. Specifically the last sentence.

9. Billy1856

Billy1856 Aficionado (145) Texas Aug 20, 2012

IMO be sure to have him get some Karbach Hellfighter and Rodeo Clown in Houston. Might be lucky enough to come across a Saint Arnold DR13 as well.

Have him go to Las Collinas Berverages in DFW and the Downtown Spec's/D&Q Beer Station in Houston. All of those shops have extremely helpful staff that could set you up with some bad ass Texas specialties.

Any particular style you're looking for?

10. When I see the title "Beer trip to Texas", I am reminded of all my fellow okies that make the trek south to buy "6 point" bud or coors. Since our bud or coors is 3.2 abw, they figure they are getting twice the bang for the buck.

You can tell the out-of-towners at a Oklahoma liquor store when they ask "Where is the bud?"

11. If your looking for beers that are distributed in TX but not necessarily made in Texas. You can get some Ballast Point Sculpin IPA and Victory at Sea. I am not sure if Ballast Point is distributed in Illinois but if not these are 2 top notch beers.

I also suggest fresh St Arnolds Endeavour and anything Jester King

12. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (330) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

Thankyou all!!

13. BK1017

BK1017 Aficionado (195) Texas Nov 9, 2009

I believe you mean "Y'all"

BeerMeFitz and icetrauma like this.