1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer vs Wine Dinner

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by scotti561, Feb 2, 2013.

1. I challenged a wine drinker friend to the ultimate battle of alcohol. We have 5 "courses" that are being prepared by neutral guests that need to be paired. I have always loved beer and food together but never to please palates of other people (half of which will be wine drinkers) Looking for some opinions if any of you have them and hopefully get the bragging rights for the year. Keep in mind that I am in South FL so distribution is limited and it is next weekend, we just got the finalized menus. It is a bit all over the place and no real theme.

Salad: Spinach, quinoa, dried tomatoes, feta cheese, artichoke and chickpeas

Shrimp with homemade cocktail sauce: tomatoes, chili, horseradish, sugar, old bay

Sweet potato Orzo with parmesan, bacon, nutmeg, paprika and parsley

Prime rib crusted with brown sugar, coffee and rosemary

Both orange and chocolate cannoli

2. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Salad: Saison, Orval, or Rayon Vert

Shrimp: SNPA or White Oak Jai Alai

Orzo: Maybe a brown? Maybe Maduro Brown or Ellie's Brown?

Prime Rib: Browns could work well here, too, or an IIPA. Torpedo?

Cannoli: Impy Stout for sure. Probably something on the hoppier/roastier end of the spectrum to balance out the sweetness of the dish. Ten Fidy or Old Raspy.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  3. Salad: marzen or Lindeman's fruit lambic (the sweet ones)
    Shrimp: Belgian wit or kolsch
    Orzo: saison
    Prime rib: black IPA, dry porter, or hop-forward barleywine
    Cannolis: a Sam Smith fruit beer or a chocolate stout

These are the styles that first came to my mind.

4. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

Salad: Spinach, quinoa, dried tomatoes, feta cheese, artichoke and chickpeas
    Witbier, Namaste, Hitachino Nest

Shrimp with homemade cocktail sauce: tomatoes, chili, horseradish, sugar, old bay
    Belgian Pale Ale, American Amber depending on the one (Red Rocket, Full Sail, Boont Amber). Your old bay and horseradish throws a huge amount of salt and acid respectively, The Belgian pale styles are a safe bet

Sweet potato Orzo with parmesan, bacon, nutmeg, paprika and parsley
    altbier, bock, possibly a lighter doppelbock

Prime rib crusted with brown sugar, coffee and rosemary
    as mentioned porter, want to really turn it up Baltic porter... 3 Beans sixpoint, doppelbock for the brown sugar angle

Both orange and chocolate cannoli
    Russian Imperial, A sweet Lindemans such as the peche. Want to mess with their head and risk it Duet from Alpine

5. Thanks for the comments guys. appreciate the feedback. cheers!

6. eatabagofbooger

Dang-I forgot about the lagers. I always do, and it really is a mistake, particularly for food pairings. I agree heartily with the bock suggestion here!

Be sure to let us know what you decide on and what the results are-I'm pretty curious about this!

7. Here is what I ended up going with. They ended up adding another course too. Sadly the wine won but it pretty close, I only lost by 3 votes which isn't too bad considering there were a total of 60 votes. The lady that chose the wines has been doing wine/food pairings for 15 years. I will get her next year.
    Shrimp cocktail: Saison Athene- Saint Somewhere Brewing Company
    Spinach salad with quinoa, dried tomato, feta, artichoke and chick peas: Sp├ęciale Cent Cinquante- Chimay Brewery
    Sweet potato orzo with parmesan cheese, bacon, nutmeg, paprika and parsley: Ellie's Brown Ale- Avery Brewing Company
    Pulled BBQ duck crispy spring rolls: Hop Head Red IPA- Green Flash Brewing
    brown sugar, rosemary and coffee-rubbed prime rib: SXNW (South by Northwest)- Widmer Brothers Brewing
    Orange and chocolate chip cannolis: Chicory Stout- Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

8. eatabagofbooger

Sorry to hear the wine won, but it looks like you made some great choices, especially for the BBQ Duck and the prime rib!

9. Was the voting by course or overall? I did a Wine vs Beer dinner a couple years ago and beer did win 2 courses to 1 with 1 course a tie. I would like to see which courses of yours beer won and which ones wine got the best of beer.

10. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Check out this book

http://www.amazon.com/Said-Beer-She-Wine-Impassioned/dp/0756654491

11. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Advocate (540) Vermont Mar 10, 2006

It's tough to do beer and wine in the same meal. They don't compliment each other, and the strength and acidity of wine can overwhelm lots of flavors, as can hoppy or sour beers. This kind of setup is fundamentally unfair to both beverages - a better approach would be to serve the same meal on consecutive nights, one with beer and one with wine. This is obviously a broad generalization, especially if you like sour beers, but applicable to most selections from both camps.

12. piano007

piano007 Initiate (15) Jan 13, 2013

Always the beer is best. I actually do not like too much alcohol so i do not prefer wine.

Internships