1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer with caramel taste

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by craftbrew502, Feb 7, 2013.

1. I'm a big stout and IPA fan, but Iv'e been wanting to try some beers with more caramel flavor. Any suggestions? Specific beers or styles.
    DaKur likes this.
  2. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (360) New York Jan 7, 2013

Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout comes to mind, although it tends to be a love it or hate it affair.
  3. BB1313

BB1313 Advocate (695) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I'd go with traditional brown ales.. English or American.. it's 2013 and brown ales are still so underappreciated:(
    pweis909, djsmith1174, ESeab and 4 others like this.
  4. Bell's Third Coast Old Ale.
  5. Yea Ive had Creme Brulee. Its like drinking desert. Really good but filling.
  6. SN Bigfoot has some great caramel malt
  7. BB1313

I'd also recommend "Scotch Ales".. especially Dark Horse Scotty Karate.. soo good..
  8. BA batch 9000!!
  9. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

I agree with the Scotch Ales and think BB4D is pretty carmel-y myself.
  10. mdvatab

mdvatab Savant (440) Indiana Apr 5, 2006

11. Saranac made a Caramel Porter.
  12. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

13. Saranac Caramel Porter

Go to the Beers page and search caramel. It will list the beers with caramel in the name.
    I am willing to bet if caramel is in the name of the beer, some caramel taste will be there as well.
    jRocco2021 likes this.
  14. Anderson Valley Winter Solstice is one of my favs
    Pasty, dungledauf and MattNelson like this.
  15. Inversion IPA from Deschutes. That stuff totally has a caramel to it. It has a 'wort' flavor in it as well, as if they reinfuse wort post fermentation which adds that slightly toasted caramel flavor to the palate. Tastes more like homebrew than anything other commercial brew i know of. they must be doing something to it...does any one know?
  16. AdamP

AdamP Savant (370) Pennsylvania Mar 26, 2012

LOL, I think a $30+ bottle may be pushing it if OP is just trying to get their feet wet in a new style. Scotch ales are a good recommendation... quite a few barleywines feature caramel malts in their grain bill as well. If you like IPAs, I'd definitely recommend checking out hoppy ambers like Troegs Nugget Nectar, Maine Beer Co's Zoe, or especially imperials like Lagunitas Lucky 13 when it's available.
    atone315 likes this.
  17. scud

scud Savant (315) Indiana Sep 22, 2010

Greenbush Delusion is loaded with caramel/butterscotch flavor. It's amazing
  18. Ayinger Celebrator has some delicious caramel notes. Other doppelbocks might fit the bill as well.
    Gosox8787 and fox227 like this.
  19. Had a bad keg of Heavy Seas Loose Cannon recently that tasted like sour caramel...and not in a good way. I sent it back.
  20. Obviously this one isn't easy to find or obtain (an understatement), but Sam Adams Millennium tastes like liquid caramel.

[​IMG]
    Gosox8787, JxExM and Michigan like this.
  21. Just finished a BA 4D by Kuhnhenn and it had a lot of caramel flavors. It was excellent.
  22. Founders Backwoods Bastard. great scotch ale very complex with hints of oak, vanilla, and caramel taste imo. one of my favorite beers
    JxExM, chanokokoro and GrumpyOldTroll like this.
  23. BB1313

It looks like liquid caramel too!
  24. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Some styles that come to mind: Old Ale, English Barleywine, Wee-heavy, English Strong Ale. I've also picked up some caramel notes in vienna lagers and marzens before.
  25. Shagator

Shagator Savant (410) Kentucky Mar 17, 2012

Love the Avatar. I remember when my wife showed me that for the first time
    scud likes this.
  26. Founders dirty bastard
    PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  27. spitshaded

spitshaded Savant (335) Virginia Nov 12, 2012

I remembered getting some caramel from Founders Curmudgeon & Samuel Smith's Yorkshire Stingo.
  28. Firestone Walker Double DBA
  29. tectactoe

tectactoe Advocate (740) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

For easy to find, Fat Tire is loaded with caramel flavor.
  30. Dajtai007

Dajtai007 Savant (390) Texas Jan 15, 2009

Again, not easy to obtain but Wooden Hell has tons of caramel deliciousness!
  31. Hash

Hash Aspirant (40) Pennsylvania Jan 24, 2013

For great caramel flavors try the Scotch Ales as mentioned by others in this post -- the process of making that style creates toffee notes from caramelizing the malt. And I agree with williamjbauer -- try getting your malty caramel fill from Founders Dirty Bastard. Oh yeah.
  32. Maritime Pacific Jolly Roger Christmas ale
  33. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Michigan Oct 24, 2012

I just stared at this for a few minutes and convinced myself I need it... ISO!! FT: Werther's Original Hard Candies...
  34. ediaz

ediaz Savant (315) Florida Nov 23, 2011

This
  35. robboyd

robboyd Savant (285) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

Pretty much anything aged in a brandy barrel has developed caramel notes in my experiences. Also, barrel aged barley wines hit caramel notes for me a large percentage of the time. The founders mentions above were pretty spot on.
  36. mkennedy119

mkennedy119 Savant (350) Illinois Nov 13, 2011

Anchor Old Foghorn
  37. This could be the biggest understatement of all time
  38. LMT

LMT Savant (305) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

I'd also add in Troegs Troegenator...and even Spaten Optimator.
  39. The malt spectrum of syrup to caramel to vanilla tends to predominantly consist in brown ales, scottish ales, and barleywines. Obviously, brewers can do whatever they want--but generally speaking, I'd search out some good beers within those styles. Also (just my opinion) don't go with beers that say "caramel" or "vanilla" on them. Most of them use exorbitant amount of adjuncts to try and achieve that flavor--but they tend to go overboard, resulting in an overly sweet beer (again, my opinion). Instead, look for a beer that already has that natural malt complex. I think you'll enjoy the subtleties of a sweetness that's intrinsic to any given malt more so than the overt sweetness of added flavors.
    JackHorzempa likes this.