1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer with caramel taste

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by craftbrew502, Feb 7, 2013.

1. mborden

mborden Savant (410) New York Jan 28, 2009

Protip: A beer float with Saranac Caramel Porter and some Vanilla Ice Cream totally hits the spot
    HipsterBrewfus likes this.
  2. Mattyb79

Mattyb79 Savant (440) Virginia Dec 11, 2012

If you like bourbon (which has a lot of burnt caramel notes) try Coney Island Barrel Aged Human Blockhead. The base beer is a double bock. I got tons of caramel and bourbon goodness from this one!
    Dennoman likes this.
  3. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Havent had one in a while but maybe a Great Divide Hibernation?
  4. smo

smo Aficionado (175) New Jersey Apr 11, 2012

I came here to post this. Believe this man!
  5. Hair of the Dog Adam
  6. And if you're looking for a caramel flavor, you will find it here. No searching for hints of caramel, it is a very pronounced flavor.
    Providence likes this.
  7. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (435) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

If I remember correctly, Shipyard's Prelude and their Old Thumper had some caramel flavors. If properly controlled by the brewer, the ringwood yeast used by Shipyard [and several other brewers] can impart caramel and toffee flavors to a beer, but if the yeasts aren't controlled properly the beer can quickly turn into buttered popcorn (from excess diacetyl). There's a lot of variability in people's sensitivity and/or aversion to the toffee/caramel/buttery diacetyl flavors, so you'll get some very mixed reviews of beers that have those flavors, even if they are made as the brewer intended. There are even some BA members who incorrectly think ANY detectable diacetyl-like flavor in any beer is a flaw. Just be aware that a beer's overall BA score might not help you find the type of beer you're looking for.
  8. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

Alesmith Wee Heavy is probably the best wee heavy I've had and remember some nice caramel flavors. Weyerbacher Insanity or other english style barleywines usually have a lot of caramel flavor to them.
    Mediczod likes this.
  9. Troegs Hopback Amber Ale has a great caramel malt backbone to it.
  10. It's been a while since I've bought any imports (Buy American, save a job) but my impression of a lot of English imports that are dark styles is that they have a caramel flavor in the background, some seeming to be almost a scorched caramel flavor.
    highdesertdrinker likes this.
  11. Orkney Skull Splitter is the first beer to pop in my mind when I think of caramel flavor being the most pronounced profile for an easy to find beer. Of course BB4D by Kuhnhenns definitely has even more but is far harder to come by.
    Gosox8787 likes this.
  12. ^this

I like it, a lot.
  13. Monsone

Monsone Savant (350) Illinois Jun 5, 2006

I typically find a caramel essence in English style beers where a bit of diacetyl is acceptable. That hint of butter with a crystal malt heavy malt bill will come across with a distinct caramel note.
  14. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (225) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

LMAO
  15. Belhaven Wee Heavy is also an excellent wee heavy, and has some pretty good caramel notes to it as well.
  16. mdvatab

mdvatab Savant (440) Indiana Apr 5, 2006

Getting one's feet wet or not, Fruet is ~$35 well-spent ;)
  17. drop a shot of it into a founders breakfast stout...it is awesome! enjoy
    fishtremble and TychoNDC like this.
  18. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Human Blockhead. Shockingly delicious for a style I usually don't dig.
  19. Yards Brawler.
  20. if you are an IPA guy looking for caramel, I just picked up some First Cast from Elevation Beer Co in Pancha Springs, CO. its still an IPA, but man does it have some nice malty caramel gooeyness to it, the flavor without all the sugar. in 4 packs now of 16oz. bottles, highly recommended!
  21. They may be sharing:rolleyes: I agree with Fruet if you want definative carmel flavor...
  22. MadDogMD

MadDogMD Aficionado (120) Arizona Jan 7, 2013

Barleywines! FW Sucaba or Boulder Killer Penguin, imo.
  23. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

That is a fantastic idea and I plan to try it out some time. Thanks!
  24. Avery- Samels
  25. ifnkovhg

ifnkovhg Savant (260) California Aug 12, 2008

Ayinger Jahrhundert Bier.
  26. Backwoods Bastard had the most authentic caramel taste I've ever got from a beer.
  27. Olde hickory seven devils