1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer you find tough to finally open?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by MrOH, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Armand'4 series are all tough to justify opening right now. Armand & Tommy blend is also equally tough. I will probably open one of the former in the next few months, but I probably won't open the latter for a while

2. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

Tonight.

ICCULIS and joeebbs like this.
  3. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

Quite honestly, pretty much any bomber. Unless it's something cheap/readily available. I hardly ever buy bombers, and when I do, it's when I'm travelling and have found something new that I want to bring back without hauling back 6-packs. So at that point, I have exactly one bomber of a new beer that I've never tried and can't get more of without travelling back to wherever I got it from. What if I love it??? I much prefer the security of sixers or even 4-packs. If I open the first bottle, love it, then I at least know I can enjoy it again on another day.

I have not had any beers in my possession that I would find a hard time opening. And that's actually contradictory for my personality, usually I like to stow things away. But that's a nice thing about beer. There's plenty of good beer around pretty much all the time. Drink what you have, enjoy it, get more.

4. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (350) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

Bourbon County Cherry. Got two planning to drink one fresh, can find the occasion.

5. zid

zid Savant (440) New York Feb 15, 2010

2007 Williamsburg Alewerks Grand Illumination is the love of your life? ;)

6. Two actually. My last bottle of Narwhal and . . . wait for it . . . my first BCBS. Seriously. I can't wait to try it, but not so sure I'm gonna go ape over it's bourbon like features. It's sitting there, daring me, taunting me . . . :confused:

7. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Savant (450) Indiana Oct 19, 2006

Cracking my last CBS with some friends this weekend. It was brewed to be consumed. And, I am hoping they will brew and bottle it again. Will I ever be able to open the Upland Peach? I hope so!

8. King Henry - It's my one bottle (ever), so finding a special time to crack it is tough. Knowing that I never have another one makes it even harder.

9. Dude, you gotta crack the BCBS. No reason to fear. Plus, it's still sitting on shelves near me, and will hopefully be available year-round at some point - you can always get more if you want.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  10. That's not what I fear . . . I fear I may not be awe of it, unlike most of BA nation.

11. DmanGTR

DmanGTR Advocate (520) Florida Feb 19, 2008

Armand 4 seasons
    Black Damnation Double Black
    06-12 GI BCS vertical
    07-12 Black Ops vertical
    09-12 Hunahpu vertical
    Thomas Hardy's 86 and 90
    Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock 2007
    Utopias 2012
    Earthmonk 08

I think eventually I'll find a good time to open these.

12. RDMII

RDMII Savant (340) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

I was holding out on my lone bottle of White Chocolate, but it's VDay and my lady and I are going to have it tonight after work. The only other one I can't seem to pull the trigger on is my only bottle of Coton. Having never been able to get it here I don't want to see it go.

13. BigBarley

BigBarley Savant (330) Texas Aug 5, 2011

If you remember to, please let me know how it is aged. I have a similar connection to LE TERRIBLE and will age it as soon as I've got an age-friendly space ready

TychoNDC likes this.
  14. No beer of mine is off-limits, saved for a "special ocassion," etc. Make the occasion special, don't wait for one.

ICCULIS and Number45forever like this.
  15. People, drink your beers.

I had a CBS on a Tuesday night last summer after I skipped work to play golf all day. Came home, took a shower, collapsed on the couch and had a CBS to myself. It was awesome.

Similiar story for my King Henry.

Few weeks back, I had a Juicy because it was Thursday.

It's a TON of fun to get together with friends and share awesome bottles. But, if I saved every great bottle I wanted to have for "special occaisions" then most of my cellar would go bad before I got around to it.

You love beer, drink it and enjoy it.

ironchefmiyagi13, RDMII and Duff27 like this.
  16. To each his own, I guess. It comes to a point where you hang on to something for so long that it almost feels like a waste to open it. It may not make much sense, but I think it's important to act on feeling sometimes over logic, especially when it comes to something about which you're passionate, like beer.

I've never had Cantillon, but you can bet your ass that I wouldn't shelf it.

17. Also, it's a beer that I used to enjoy a lot more when I wasn't quite as experienced. I wouldn't want to waste a good vintage on someone (myself) who won't appreciate it. Perhaps you'd like to trade for it?

18. My 2008 Imperial Stout trooper. I opened the bottle a couple weeks ago for my birthday. Awesome brew. I also opened a 2009 later that week on my birthday and the 2008 was much better.

ICCULIS likes this.
  19. MrOH

MrOH Savant (490) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

I've got a couple of bottles of the Bourbon Barrel Porter from 2010 that are beyond the official bottle count. I prefer to think of it as beer that should not exist instead of surplus.

20. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Haha, I finally asked about that, those numbers are not like a numbered collectable so whatever#-2012 doesn't mean they only made 2012 bottles, they just put the bottle number next to the bottle year....totally threw me off when I was finding bottles like you did.

21. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

Probably my last bottle of a stout I made a few years back called "Sweet Jaingo"
    Commercial difficult: Imperial Brown Goose. I'm sure it's turned the corner, and I just never really think it's worth opening.
    Physically difficult: Lost Abbey beers. I always have to use a champagne opener to get those open.

22. Might be a good thing if you aren't in awe - that stuf is expensive! I was AMAZED by my first one, but the feeling has worn off a bit since. I still enjoy it, but nothing beats the first time.

23. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

I appreciate the offer, but I've had it multiple times (even one I aged a couple years) and never been too impressed with it. Either way I guess it's cool you're willing to give it up; I don't have much patience so I'm sure I couldn't part with a beer I managed to sit on that long.

24. I have a lot of beers in my cellar that I've held off on drinking, not because I'm hoarding, but because I'm waiting for the right moment to share with others.

25. hopswap1

hopswap1 Savant (385) Illinois Apr 27, 2012

I just traded for a cw fifteen and have a feeling I won't be enjoying that for a while.. that is unless I come accross another one

26. You're right. I'll be crackin' one soon enough. My 1st Night Stalker was really good, 1st Big John not so good. So, in my opinion, time for Goose Island to amaze me! Keep ya posted.

TheNoodleIncident likes this.
  27. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (915) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Haven't encountered this yet since my cellar is still young but I really think it's going to be hard to open up my 2011 Abyss. It's the first beer that started off my cellar, and it's also the first beer I traded for.

28. My last bottles of CFH 2012 and BCBS 2009.

29. PORTerCITY

PORTerCITY Zealot (85) California Feb 9, 2013

2010 Dark Lord. It took me so long to get one of these. The year isn't significant, but its first bottle i set out to get, and once i received it, it sort of became a marking point for me as a beeradvocate. The only other Dark lord i had in my possession was a 2012.. and I drank that the same day i got it! 2011 Hunahpu I opened during a tasting and as happy as i was to drink it, I couldn't help but feel like a part of me was leaving!!

30. jnikkel

jnikkel Aficionado (225) Indiana May 14, 2007

Awesome! Loogking forward to that!

bozodogbreath likes this.
  31. this is great to hear! I still have 4-5 of the '08 kickin' around. thanks for confirming it's still pleasin'....Happy Belated~~

FreshmanPour77 likes this.
  32. totally agree - if we're drinkin' beers at my place, anything in the house is up for grabs. given it's proper temp - let's crack it open!

33. RDMII

RDMII Savant (340) Georgia Apr 11, 2010

I agree with not waiting to open beers, and I am not one to share anything I have with anyone, save for my GF sometimes, but I don't always get to them either. I definitely don't hoard beers for sharing but I find I want to try other stuff first and then get into a schedule where that one special beer sits longer. I applaud anyone who shares rare stuff with friends, but I'm too damn selfish to score a rare bottle then only get to drink a few ounces of it. Plus very few of my friends are into beer like I am and wouldn't appreciate it like I would.

34. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (440) New York Jan 19, 2013

Used to feel this way about Mickey's Big Mouths. But then they switched from the pull top to the twisty, and all the adventure in the beer was gone.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  35. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

I find it tough to open capped and corked beers because I have yet to buy a corkscrew. Although a regular screw and a screwgun have been working quite well lately.

36. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (650) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

Being new to this, most of the special release beers that I come across and open, are especially difficult, but I'm trying to find what I like. I'm squandering all the Founders IS I come across. It sucks that I have to drive an hour for Ten Fidy as that would be a major go-to if it was closer to me.

If I had to pick one, it would be Bitches Brew. I have 4 bottles left, but I did find a place that had a case on the shelf the other day and plan on and going back.

37. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (650) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

This is how I hope to become one day about my other hobbies; cigars and wine. So far, I'm drinking most beers that I come across...rare or not. You never know if you'll see tomorrow, so enjoy today.

arizcards likes this.