1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer you liked but will never be brewed again.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Kanger, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Soto

Soto Savant (485) North Carolina Oct 5, 2005

This is a completely random one, but Brooklyn's The Concoction. Probably the most polarizing beer I can ever remember but by far one of the most interesting things I've ever tasted. Went back for two refills when it was on tap at Beertopia in Charlotte a couple years ago.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/45/68882

Is it Brawley's that has those, if I had to guess?
  2. Yep, drank one of the Barleywines recently and it was holding up very nicely
  3. Odell avant peche. Apparently I loved it more then others even just liked it.
  4. Augsburger light and dark, Joseph Huber Brewing
  5. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

1. Attempted Redrum
    2. Firestone XVI
    3. The Stone Mint Choc Stout collaboration
    4. Dayman
  6. I'm really missing Screamin' Pumkin Spiced Ale by Michigan Brewing. It was so good this time of year.

I'm not sure if they'll do it again, but I had Founders Sumatra Mount Brown that was barrel aged at the Black Party a couple years ago and it was incredible. It was even more excellent when mixed with a little KBS.
  7. awinkro

awinkro Savant (275) Texas Oct 15, 2008

Sam Adams Hallertaur Imperial Pilsner
  8. I haven't hoarded or aged before. I just felt this was a good one given it's supposed ten year aging potential. I won't keep it that long. Maybe 1 year, if I can hold out that long. I might keep the bottle, too, since it's a special one (the three panel one). Otherwise, I'm a buy and consume type of drinker. Well, buy and review, really.

I am really happy to have gotten two of them, though. My store ran out very fast.
    Brasso likes this.
  9. Alaskan Pale. Never got the chance to try it. Alaskan is one of my faves and haven't tried on I disliked. ?Had the chance, but luck of the draw ended up with the Pale being on the far end of my 'try' list when they announced it was getting discontinued due to rarity of they specific hops used in it.
  10. Alexander by Rodenbach. I did a 3 month internship at the brewery in early 2000 and 2009. I asked the head brewer if Rodenbach Alexander would ever be re-introduced. He claimed with the dismal success of Redbach and the lack of interest in the Belgium market it will never be brewed again. He admitted that it was highly successful in the USA with beer aficionados during the late 80s and early 90s, but the American market alone could not convince Palm to continue it. Another beer that is not at this point discontinued, but probably will be, is any quality beer from Southampton (i.e. Imperial Russian Stout). Due to Phil Markowski's departure, Southampton has lost all its grove.
    herrburgess likes this.
  11. Westy Red Cap
  12. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

THIS X 1,000,000!
  13. Lantern

Lantern Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2011

I want 2010 Nemesis again BADLY.
    deadonhisfeet likes this.
  14. Kipling light...it was so good.
  15. ao125

ao125 Savant (335) Virginia Dec 1, 2010

I'd say Thomas Hardy's Ale despite the supposed acquisition of the rights and recipe.
    It's like the Duke Nukem Forever of beer. It's going to be a running gag for a decade, and mostly be vaporware...err...vaporbeer? until yet another brewery takes it over.
  16. JLG193

JLG193 Savant (250) Michigan Sep 14, 2010

Southern Tier Uber Sun. Best hoppy wheat I've ever had...
  17. misterhilleke

misterhilleke Zealot (90) Tennessee Sep 12, 2010

Just as an FYI, Brick Store Pub outside of Atlanta is still selling '09 and '10 Founders Nemesis from their cellar.

Blushing Monk, btw.
    wrw5031 likes this.
  18. BlackNote

BlackNote Savant (345) Michigan Apr 5, 2013

What kind of mark-up?
  19. 57md

57md Savant (450) Pennsylvania Aug 22, 2011

Victory Ranch R DIPA. It is in my personal top ten beers of any style.
    wrw5031 likes this.
  20. wrw5031

wrw5031 Savant (285) Georgia Dec 21, 2011

Probably a dumb question, but I'm guessing those bottles of Nemesis are just for in house consumption?
  21. New Belgium/Lips Of Faith - Super IPA (Alpine collaboration): This was one outstanding IPA
    3F's - Permanent Funeral: Crazy good
    3F's - In The Name Of Suffering: Almost liked it as much as Wookey Jack

22. and forgot ...... Dayman
  23. bennetj17

bennetj17 Advocate (625) Arizona Oct 30, 2005

New Belgium Porch Swing
    Pizza Port SPF 45 Saison
    Blackbeerd Imperial Stout (2009) - Jack Daniels Barrel Aged
    Tyranena Devil Over A Barrel
    AleSmith Decadence 2007 Imperial Porter
    Sierra Nevada Juniper Black (Beer Camp)
    New Glarus Unplugged Iced Barleywine
  24. darienm

darienm Aficionado (140) Illinois Apr 23, 2010

25. DrewLikesBeer

DrewLikesBeer Savant (325) Florida Jul 16, 2013

True story.
  26. sajaffe1

sajaffe1 Savant (325) Pennsylvania Feb 16, 2013

LA-31 Bière Noire
  27. fivealive

fivealive Aficionado (110) Ohio Mar 10, 2013

Oldenberg(RIP) Pius Pale Ale
    I also love FFF/HA Annica, its going to be bitter sweet to drink my last one this weekend
  28. Old Stock Cellar Reserve (Aged in Bourbon Barrels)
    Stone Espresso IRS
    FW 15
    Elaborative #1
    Prolegomena
    Doom
    Weyerbacher BBA 16
    Rapture

I could probably go on for a while, but those are some that come to mind right away!
    larryi86 likes this.
  29. Not nearly my fav in the not brewed again catagory but to keep it different

I'm just gonna say it......VE 12.12.12...It was so god damn ridiculously festive and christmasy I would have one every christmas just for the spiced cookie flavor!
  30. bigwhat62

bigwhat62 Disciple (55) Texas Sep 12, 2013

Dayman for sure.
  31. Founders Better Half was just amazing
  32. Andeker....from Pabst, long ago
  33. Handle

Handle Savant (345) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

Three years ago, Weyerbacher brewed a smoked imperial stout called "Fifteen" (as in their fifteenth anniversary). It doesn't get a ton of love, but it just suits my tastes perfectly. It's simultaneously one of the best stouts and smoked beers I've had, and I've been buying it up whenever I see four-packs still lingering on store shelves.

I'm glad people don't like that one as much as I do, because I weep for the day I can't get it anymore.
    TongoRad likes this.
  34. jryanj927

jryanj927 Aficionado (205) Maryland Apr 26, 2013

DC Brau Yonder Cities
    Escott likes this.
  35. I liked that one too. I did enjoy Fireside Ale a whole lot more- so I focused on drinking that one at the time. At least you can still get one of those beers; I can't get either. Enjoy it while you can!
    Handle likes this.
  36. Kanger

Kanger Savant (345) New York Sep 3, 2013

ceeg likes this.
  37. Handle

Handle Savant (345) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

I liked Fireside, too, though the Fifteen might be in my top five, period. I hope to get a few more four-packs soon! It's one of my "special treat" beers.
  38. vurt

vurt Savant (495) Oregon Apr 11, 2004

In the mid- to late-90s, I loved the Dogbolter strong ale brewed by the chain of Firkin pubs in England. Those pubs are long gone, but I still remember how satisfying those pints were. Rich, smooth, malty, tons of dark fruit. (Of course, my palate has changed a lot since my last pint of Dogbolter almost 15 years ago, and it's certainly possible that I wouldn't like it very much today. But I'd love to try it one more time to find out.)
  39. Shluffy

Shluffy Savant (270) Wisconsin Aug 19, 2013

A beer I really loved that has been discontinued (for the time being) is New Glarus Fat Squirrel. That was easily my favorite New Glarus beer, but now its probably Spotted Cow.
    larryi86 likes this.
  40. BJC

BJC Aficionado (230) New Jersey Nov 9, 2002

Ballantine IPA