1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beer you've left in your past

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tkdchampxi, Mar 10, 2014.

1. There are a lot of beers that I've had (and used to have a lot), but haven't rated, because I haven't had them since long before I started rating beers (and many from before I became a real BA).

This got me to thinking - there's a good chance I may never rate these beers, because there are so many good beers out there, that I find it unlikely that I will ever drink most of these again in light of the fact that there are almost always better options.

So here's a toast to the beers of my past.
    Thanks for the fun and good times you gave me while it lasted.
    You may not be the best of beers.
    But if it weren't for you,
    I wouldn't know what great beer was.
    Though I may never drink you again.
    I'll always remember the times we had fondly.
    Cheers.

Sam Adams Summer Ale
    Smithwicks
    Magic Hat #9
    Circus Boy
    Newcastle Brown Ale
    Yuengling Black & Tan
    Sea Dog Blueberry Wheat
    Bass Pale Ale
    Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale
    Rogue Dead Guy Ale
    Dragon Stout
    Purple Haze

What about you guys?

Jwale73, DrGonzoDDS, willbm3 and 4 others like this.
  2. coldy

coldy Aficionado (220) Pennsylvania Sep 16, 2010

Shipyard is hands down the worst pumpkin beer I have had. Good idea to leave that one in the rear view...

kneary13, CircusBoy, bkbergen and 5 others like this.
  3. cestlavie

cestlavie Advocate (515) New York Oct 27, 2011

Wow. This is a good thread. I have to think about this over the next day or so to definitively post what I'm leaving behind... but never say never. Sometimes you find yourself in a situation where one of these beers may be the best option, and you are almost forced to revisit.

4. Beercanman1

Beercanman1 Aficionado (225) Ohio Feb 16, 2014

Bud light. That is the only beer I can think of that I will always refuse.

5. I agree. I'm not saying unequivocally never (that's why HopDevil and Guinness aren't on this list), but I often have better options at any and all the establishments I now frequent.

6. Matthew1788

Matthew1788 Savant (440) Ohio Feb 23, 2013

Yes, that was one bad beer.

7. I'm going to have to say Angels share. Although it saddens me, it was the first limited release beer I waited in line for at the brewery. Went to the first bottling release. Won't drink it any more because it's 1) $15 for a small bottle and 2) flatter than my last girlfriend the last 3 times I tried it. Don't want to be burned any more. Plus it's way easy to find now. But it use to be one of my top beers I've ever had. Put most lost abbey beers on this list actually. Don't trust any of them. Deliverance keeps staring me in the face right now but it can't be trusted.

I agree with the never say never so maybe I'll revisit. But really I'll prob end up drinking most beers I don't really drink any more again at some point.

New castle is another big one for me.

TheSamKuehn likes this.
  8. Leinenkugel's, Blue Moon, and Dundee Honey Brown are probably the only things I used to drink regularly that I really never drink any more. I know those aren't craft, but they were definitely a major link in my transition into craft. Other than that, I still go back to a lot of the beers that got me into craft.

Also, I doubt I'll ever abandon the Bud Light-level beers. They have their time and place. Hell, I even drink 40s from time to time if the mood strikes.

9. Snowdog

Snowdog Savant (260) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

10. cello likes this.
  11. Wholeheartedly agree.. shipyard pumpkinhead sucks... honestly, that brewery as a whole puts out garbage...

12. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Savant (325) Colorado Dec 22, 2012

13. In all honesty, I don't think I'll ever go back to Steel Reserve, Olde English 800, Crazy Stallion, or St. Ides. For many years, these were the brews that I drank regularly. I don't like to get trashed like I used to, and that was pretty much the only reason I drank 40s to begin with. I also think my old concoction is retired as well, an old mud with a shot of Skol in it.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  14. Snowdog

Snowdog Savant (260) Ohio Jul 28, 2010

Back on topic I have left behind many....

Any BMC
    About anything Leinenkugel's (except Big Eddy stout) Used to drink a lot of their lineup.
    Tommyknocker Maple Brown liked this one a lot-but all over the place consistency wise.

Thought I would have a lot to add, but I guess not. o_O

15. That was my "splurge" beer before I got into craft. Haven't had one in years. I'll probably try to grab one if I'm in England, but I'm in no rush to get another in America.

16. SteveB24

SteveB24 Savant (485) New York Aug 29, 2013

great call on the magic hat 9 and circus boy. i'd have to put basically every sam adams, magic hat, and brooklyn brewery beer on my list, and also guiness and yeungling.

17. Sam Adams variety packs. That is all.

18. I know personally I will never BUY another light beer again in my lifetime. If it's given to me, cool. Anywhere that sells light beer should at least sell Bud/Miller/Coors "heavy". Other than that, there are many beers I don't plan to buy or drink but should the situation arise, I won't refuse. All beers have a time and place.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  19. Torch_Lake

Torch_Lake Aficionado (165) Ohio Aug 4, 2013

BMC is the obvious choice here, but not terribly interesting to read about. I totally hear the argument for Magic Hat, though; when I was younger, I thought my palate was refined as could be because I drank #9. I'll always have some nostalgia for it, and will drink it if it's the best thing a bar has, but I can't imagine lauding it with the praise I once did.

Along those same lines, Red Hook is one that I overrated at the beginning of my craft beer journey (especially Longhammer), and one I'd avoid now in the face of any better option. I feel like I would not turn down a Summer Shandy if offered to me on a hot day, but I'm a little embarrassed of the praises I used to sing for that beer as well.

20. BeerDazed

BeerDazed Savant (310) Wisconsin Mar 1, 2014

Colt 45 40 oz. Some funny memories associated with it though. I believe Mr. Mister was on the radio at the time I said Sayonara. "Take...These Broken Wings..."

RusImpStoLuv and Shroud0fdoom like this.
  21. Pretty much anything by Bell's.
    Sam Adams other than Imperial Stout, Imperial White Ale, Porch Rocker, maybe a few other big bottles
    NEBCo - but only cause they seemingly retired on me (NY) Fuckers!!!
    Alesmith - So tired of your mediocre 750's. Not sure I'd even buy your crap in 4pks.
    Ithaca - so much talent and potential... so little direction

All cheap ass beer! I just can't do it! I'd just rather not drink beer. To much great wine/booze out there!

22. Rbroccoli

Rbroccoli Aficionado (215) Alabama Jul 30, 2013

Harpoon UFO White. It was my introduction into wheat beers (as I skipped the Blue Moon phase altogether). I drank a lot of it, and didn't know why every time..the more I drank it, the more..meh..it became.
    It did get me into Hefeweizens though, which is a style I'll rarely buy, but a great treat almost every time.

Providence likes this.
  23. rab53

rab53 Advocate (615) Washington May 1, 2005

I keep a list of "Beers to Revisit". These are those beers that 'fell through the cracks' or were consumed early in my drinking career.

Most of this list consists of common imports and domestic beers available at the grocery store. Some are early craft offerings, like Saranac or Rogue. My intent was to try these 'lost beers' again, but it is hard to spend money on what I perceive to be inferior. One day...

tkdchampxi likes this.
  24. target88

target88 Savant (350) Kentucky Dec 3, 2013

Schmidts and Schlitz, Hey I had to start somewhere !

25. Retroman40

Retroman40 Savant (290) Kentucky Dec 7, 2013

I've thought about trying to compile a list of every beer I've drank in 35 years although I seriously doubt I can remember them all. I'm sure there are a few that rate a "never again" but never is just too long. Beers change (the Schaefer I had in a bar in NYC in 1981 is not the same thing the is selling today) and my tastes change. From the OP list though Rogue Dead Guy Ale is close for me. I recently had one and it was nothing like I recall it from several years ago. Something changed and it doesn't matter what.

TrojanRB and tkdchampxi like this.
  26. michman

michman Savant (275) Illinois Oct 14, 2005

all bells!? out of curiosity how come?

Rbroccoli, TrojanRB and Boca-X like this.
  27. Boca-X

Boca-X Advocate (570) Missouri Jan 21, 2014

Was wondering the same thing...one of their beers is in my top 10...THA...

Rbroccoli likes this.
  28. michman

michman Savant (275) Illinois Oct 14, 2005

well to be fair, i grew up in mich and wont really touch a bells amber or oberon or two hearted as i kinda got burnt out on em. but i enjoy many many of their other brews.

Boca-X likes this.
  29. Did you mean to post this beer as your example of a pumpkin Shipyard makes that's actually good? Smashed Pumpkin is not bad, but there are tons of better pumpkin beers out there. Certainly beats Pumpkinhead, though.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/139/52248/

30. Pumpkin Ales

MNBeer1017 and tkdchampxi like this.
  31. JHE73

JHE73 Aficionado (165) California Mar 7, 2013

Everything Irish...

qchic likes this.
  32. Elephant, Heineken, Bass, DAB, Anchor Steam (love everything else from Anchor though), St Pauli Girl, Fosters, Corona, #9, and almost any Pumpkin or Fruit beer

33. The Bruerry's Autumnation and HeBrews Hop Hanna IPA, couldnt even drink them. Also Rougue Maple Bacon beer I almost threw up after a sip.

34. Gone from my list of currently desired brews are Bass, Guinness, Sam Adams - Summer and the Cherry Wheat, and the Kentucky Bourbon Ale.

Shroud0fdoom likes this.
  35. Would have said an early craft standard like Otter Creek. But in the past year, really tasty beers like Citra Mantra, Kind Ryed, and of course Double Dose have definitely made me reconsider them.

36. Petes Wicked Ale (RIP)
    Redhook ESB
    Longhammer IPA

37. anything from anheuser busch

ChristopherShain likes this.
  38. Magic Hat, Magic Hat, Magic Hat

39. beatenbyjacks

beatenbyjacks Savant (385) Colorado Apr 17, 2011

Blue Moon got me into drinking "wheat" beers and then into the craft world. Cannot remember the last Blue Moon I have had, so fair well BM!

DrGonzoDDS likes this.
  40. TooGood

TooGood Advocate (500) Minnesota Jan 28, 2014

Spiced beers
    Miller products
    Any beer ending with "ice"
    Any bomber over $10 (except one bottle of Darkness per year)

TheGator321 likes this.