Beer you've left in your past

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tkdchampxi, Mar 10, 2014.

1. The dopplebock just got here and I thought about trying it. Third Coast Ale is exactly that, decent at best. I'd rather buy Unita Ann. Barleywine, Monster ale, Blithering Idiot or many others. I'm just done wasting MY $ on them and being disappointed time after time.

michman likes this.
  2. Todd

Todd Founder (1,615) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Bad beer; regardless of who brews it.

3. rhartogsq

rhartogsq Savant (330) Virginia Jun 18, 2010

I like this topic

Breckenridge Summerbright
    Flying Dog Old Scratch and Pale Ale
    Dogfish Head Shelter Pale Ale
    Legend Brown ALe
    Hoegaarden

Jsteez likes this.
  4. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (850) Florida Feb 27, 2005

Anything with the words Light or Lite. Unless it is something like "Light My Fire DIPA".
    Any bomber over $15 and just about all bombers over $10.
    Magic Hat
    Most British beers, and really any UK beer except Guinness.
    Anything in a clear bottle.

5. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Savant (380) Florida Dec 31, 2006

Yuengling Black and Tans are still good as hell.

For me, it would have to be anything that Dogfish Head does with a musician that costs 20 dollars.

6. Guinness. For a 2 year period from age 20-22 it's all I drank. Used to think It was the cats ass. Haven't had much if any since.

7. Matt's Beer Ball.

8. I will always appreciate Sam Adams for getting me into craft beer. They were a gateway beer in a sense. I would buy their seasonal packs all the time, but now I don't even consider them.

9. Black note is one of my all time favorite stouts. Java and cherry stouts are nice, as is the dopplebock. I actually think their brown and white are both very solid examples of possibly unexciting styles. Agree with you on hopslam though. Good but not great and terribly overpriced.

10. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (790) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Cigar city

11. Absolut

Absolut Savant (435) California Sep 19, 2011

fat tire (it was the first 'crafty' beer in the area and it was everywhere). was a great alternative to coors/ diet coke.
    Bass / St. Pauli Girl- thought I was badass.

oh, and all beer for 10 weeks. ARGH

12. I don't leave beers behind because I'm not sure what other people will offer. There's most definitely a long list of beers I don't get into anymore and won't buy.

13. charlzm

charlzm Champion (800) California Sep 3, 2007

All beers from BJ's Brewery - they were my gateways into craft, but the quality has seriously declined.
    Karl Strauss beers - they haven't declined, I've just matured.
    Most easy drinkers: Sam Adams Boston Lager, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Fat Tire, Moose Drool, Magic Hat No. 9, etc... I will still have them on occasion if they are the best choice available.
    Any Samuel Smith beers.
    Anything from Shiner.
    All the year-round Stone beers, especially Arrogant Bastard: bored with them despite their quality.

14. LODGE4

LODGE4 Aficionado (165) New York Dec 12, 2012

I've left these beers in my past (1970's-1980's) years ago ;
    Budweiser
    Schaefer
    Shlitz
    Piels
    Ballantine
    Schmidts
    Miller

15. Dare I say stone..?? Burnt out on adjunct IPAs. I'll always recommend ruination tho.
    Anything by kona, widmer, pyramid.

16. jj139

jj139 Aficionado (200) California Nov 25, 2013

Time to set the Wayback Machine to the mid-70's

Mickey's Big Mouth
    Rainer Ale (aka Green Death)
    Schlitz Stout Malt Liquor
    Lucky Lager - in the 10 oz bottles

17. Ranger.....it was my first IPA.....I have discovered many better ones since then.

18. beergoot

beergoot Advocate (580) Colorado Oct 11, 2010

Molson, Labatts, and Moosehead brews come to mind immediately...

19. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Savant (295) Oregon Mar 17, 2013

Any BMC product

20. Jsteez

Jsteez Savant (380) Utah Apr 28, 2012

I'm not sure if I'll never drink these brews again, but here is a list of beers I have not purchased in quite some time and I have not intention of buying them again:
    Heineken
    Rogue Dead Guy
    Squatters Oatmeal Stout
    Natty Light
    Keystone
    Busch
    Squatters Hefeweizen
    Rolling Rock
    Corona
    Bud Light
    Bud
    Miller
    Coors
    Becks
    Stella Artois
    Carlsberg
    Roosters Chocolate Stout (Utah local) I use to love this stuff but when I was recently home for a month on vacation I had one and it just wasn't what I remember it being.
    Bass
    SN Autumn Seasonal Brown Ale (Tumbler). I would drink this one again if they continued to brew it during the Autumn months.

RIP

21. Any Budweiser beers

22. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Savant (265) Georgia Sep 22, 2011

What about torpedo? That's always tasty, balanced, and inexpensive. Celebration next!

23. upsbeernut

Me too had two especially red lager and 1888bock but they stopped shipping it to Atlanta . I even called to find out why they weren't big sellers. I moved on nothing you can do.

24. Hahaha this was epic for me

25. upsbeernut

Leinenkugal, guiness, ice house, Dundee's, the big 3, any light beer, all german beers, all Holland beers, all beach beers, sam Adams is getting close unless the rebel ipa is any good. They blew it last year with their Oktoberfest. All wheats unless its little sumpin.
    Coriander should be banned from the process. Pumpkin beers suck.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  26. upsbeernut

Thanks for summing it up for me, never had roosters though, but you about covered my list.

Jsteez likes this.
  27. knotfast

knotfast Disciple (55) New York Jan 15, 2010

Genesee Cream Ale - drank WAY too much of this in my younger days

28. I am going to miss Tumbler this fall...

Jsteez likes this.
  29. Vonstein15

Vonstein15 Savant (310) Ohio Jan 15, 2010

Amber Bock which led me to Shiner Black which led me to so on & so on.Just bought a 6er of Shiner Black again 2 wks ago and still find it a decent beer.Cheers

30. Stella
    Bud light
    Newcastle
    Fat tire
    Heffs

31. Rbroccoli

Rbroccoli Aficionado (215) Alabama Jul 30, 2013

I've never cared much for Oberon, I really like THA, but Bell's makes some seriously great stouts IMO. I just don't see how people can't like Expedition

32. BMC, of course.

33. Morakaton

Morakaton Savant (340) Michigan May 6, 2013

Wow, I just looked at the Sam Adams Summer 2014 lineup. It's literally the same as 2013s, with Little White Rye swapped out with White Lantern (both witbiers). I revoke my former statement, there is definitely no reason to get this one, and will be skipping out on it entirely.

34. Morakaton

Morakaton Savant (340) Michigan May 6, 2013

Agreed, Bell's Expedition Stout and Java Stout are top tier in there classes, and I hear Black Note is just unbelievably good. There Porter and Kalamazoo Stout aren't the best, but I find it hard to believe anyone could call them watery garbage, Kalamazoo Stout especially is a great buy at like $8.49 a sixer.

michman likes this.
  35. michman

michman Savant (275) Illinois Oct 14, 2005

Not sure how I forgot Black Note. It is as good as it gets and I will drink one over KBS and esp that overrated boozy mess BCBS

36. Harpoon IPA

37. cdiddy

cdiddy Aspirant (25) Maryland Jan 8, 2014

Interesting thread.

DFH 60. It just doesn't appeal to me anymore vs. other IPA's out there, probably because it is so different and I drank it way too much. Still enjoy the occasional 90.
    Fat Tire -my go to back in the 00's on draft when I lived in STL.
    Long Trail Ale and Otter Creek Copper --my standard college beers in the 90s (aside from Milwaukee's Best of course)

On a side note, I still would never turn down a SNPA, even though I've probably had hundreds and hundreds of them.

Growlerguzzler likes this.
  38. M-14

M-14 Savant (330) California Feb 5, 2014

Moosehead. What was I thinking?

39. DrGonzoDDS

DrGonzoDDS Savant (285) Illinois Mar 7, 2010

Bud
    Smithwicks
    Blue moon
    -chronological beer evolution for me. Then...
    In '09 I had my 1st BCBS & St. Bernardus 12 (still 2 of my favorites) and I will never be able to drink the above list, and many others again. Life is too short, and there are amazing beers out there to find.

40. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Savant (395) Texas Jan 25, 2012

I suppose for me it would be Genesee Cream Ale. It was my go to beer when I became of legal drinking age. I couldn't find it after I moved away from New York. I had a relative come to visit and he brought me a six pack as a surprise. I drank one and smiled through it because it was a thoughtful gesture, but to be honest it was terrible...

utopiajane likes this.