1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BeerAdvocate app: Sneak Peek & FAQ

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

If you follow @BeerAdvocate on Twitter, you may have read that we're currently working on a BeerAdvocate app. It's true. In fact, here's a sneak peek of the app from today's staff meeting.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    (left: quickly "Had, Want or Got" a beer; right: Extreme Beer Fest app)

We've been getting hit with questions from today's tweets, so here's a quick FAQ.

Q: Who's developing it?

It's being developed in-house.

Q: Will it be released for Android, Blackberry, iOS, Windows 8, etc?

Yes. We're developing Web apps, allowing us to create a single application that'll work across all major mobile platforms.

Q: Do you plan on releasing native apps?

Not at this time.

Q: Are you creating just an Extreme Beer Fest app?

No. We're creating the foundation for all future apps. The first release will be an app for Extreme Beer Fest, which will help us test some core functionality that'll be used in all future app releases.

Q: Will the app be free?

Yes.

Q: What will the app do?

Initially, our goal is to provide users an easy way to find, rate/review, track and share the beers and places they experience (all of which already exists on the full website) on their mobile devices. We plan on offering much more as the app develops.

Q: When will it be released?

The fest portion of the app will be released before Extreme Beer Fest (Feb 8 & 9, 2013). We'll keep everyone posted on future releases/updates.

Q: Can I beta test for you?

We're currently not accepting beta testers.

Q: What happened to Kickstarter?

We've opted to show people that we're serious about releasing BA apps before we ask for their monetary support. We'll consider revisiting Kickstarter in Q1 2013.

Q: Do you have an API?

We're creating an API for the site redesign (used for the app too), but currently it's private. We'll be exploring a public API down the road.

Note: This is all currently in development. Features and presentation subject to change; and things will change.

We're also painfully aware of the demand for an app, which is why we felt it was high time to let everyone know that we've been listening, we've invested and we're on the path to making it finally happen.

Much more to follow ...

Cheers for your continued support and patience!

2. madtrixter787

madtrixter787 Savant (295) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

Can't wait!

ISO: BA App FT: BT, CBS, BCBS Rare

3. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (540) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

Great work! I look forward to seeing this develop.

Lantern and BeerKangaroo like this.
  4. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (710) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

This sounds great, can't wait! I know I may be the only one that still uses a Blackberry, so I hope that doesn't get forgotten... :)

5. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (350) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

As a noob to craft beer this should be awesome. When I'm in a store looking for something to buy I always look on here to read reviews. This would make it much easier and more convenient.

JHendu likes this.
  6. buddha5050

buddha5050 Savant (325) Michigan Sep 27, 2012

AWESOME!

7. Is this real life?

8. This will be even better then the beer battery meter!

9. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

This is great news!! Hope it goes smooth & we can all use it soon.

10. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

GREAT! I'll be looking at my phone all the time now. This could be trouble....

RobertColianni likes this.
  11. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

Already on the forum 12 hours a day on my phone. This is going to make life so much easier!

blguillen and mcrago like this.
  12. Mike

Mike Senior Web Developer (445) New Hampshire Nov 17, 2010 Staff Member

The apps will work on Blackberry devices that have OS 6 or later. Cheers!

mellowmark and Todd like this.
  13. cjacobsen

cjacobsen Savant (330) Illinois Aug 26, 2010

*starts slow clap*

darkcaat, VncentLIFE and mellowmark like this.
  14. MichPaul

Very cool! (searching phone for OS#...)

15. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Hah! So waiting in line for hours to sit on Santa Claus's lap at the mall was NOT a waste of time!!

16. Awsome , a buddy at work was just saying he wished there was a BA app so he could check beers fast he didnt know about , would be nice to be able to scan a bar code and get the rating

17. BK1017

BK1017 Aficionado (195) Texas Nov 9, 2009

That's a damn good idea.

18. Retsinis

Retsinis Advocate (555) California Sep 25, 2009

Great news! My reviewing has slowed as of late, and transferring from paper to the site, became a bit of a choir, and I just couldn't get into other beer apps, but am pretty active on FB & the Yelp mobile app, so this will be something I would use quite a lot. Thanks bro's.

19. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

Can't wait!!

Was ISO yesterday and found an "unofficial" version and passed.

20. So long as I can shoot the shit in the forums, a la a mobile experience, you have my download! Not to mention the GREAT help it will be to have your hads/wants/gots list in a mobile layout when frequenting the bottle shop or bar or tasting.

davey101 likes this.
  21. Paul68

Paul68 Savant (405) New Jersey Dec 13, 2006

I think you should charge for it. I'm sure it will need updating and someone to maintain it. Why not put that money to good use.

I would rather pay for it and have the best damn beer app on the market than have one thats not.

22. tugg407

tugg407 Savant (260) Florida Oct 16, 2010

Can't wait!
    The scan barcode for rating is a great idea. You would have to do a collab with a scanner app.

hoppusmaxximus and digita7693 like this.
  23. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Savant (285) California Feb 14, 2011

Ever thought about upgrading?

24. MichPaul

Being the cheapest man alive, it's a work phone... :p The only phone I have ever bought was a pay-as-you-go. Ha ha! I would love to have a better phone, but better beer is more of a priority...

beertunes and Bugs318 like this.
  25. On a few occasions I've thought about what I would like to see in a BA app, but the ability to scan a beer to locate a review never occurred to me. That would be FANTASTIC. Not knowing a damn thing about how these apps are developed, I have no idea if that's feasible. But damn that would be cool.

The biggest reason I want a BA app is because it takes too long to search for reviews when I'm standing in the store with some unknown bottle in my hand.

hoppusmaxximus likes this.
  26. bribo

bribo Aficionado (120) New York Dec 11, 2012

Scanning the barcode would be an invaluable addition to the BA app. Would LOVE that.

27. GraniteSkunk

GraniteSkunk Savant (375) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

That option is already out there.

RyanMM likes this.
  28. Not sure you can charge for a web app.

29. ?

30. very awesome!!! You guys rock! In combination with Happy Hour Finder, brews crushing will be a breeeeeze!

31. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

Hooray beer!.........advocate app

32. 451beer

451beer Aficionado (145) Ohio Jun 21, 2011

Awesome! Love beer advocate !

33. Todd

True, but not for BeerAdvocate. It won't be in the initial release, but scanning is on our list of features.

34. Todd

You can, but we don't want to.

35. Apps make things convenient and easier. This should help people out quite a bit. Can't wait to see how it holds up on my windows phone.

SatlyMalty likes this.
  36. Zach136

Zach136 Advocate (560) Georgia Jun 17, 2012

I'm happy this will be coming out. I'm constantly researching/ticking/posting via my phone, while I wouldn't call it difficult, this will make it much easier.

The scan by bar code thing is cool, but would require the app to be "native" (downloaded from the App Store/Google Play) as opposed to a "web app".

I think "web app" is a great call.The ONLY advantage to a native app is use of the phone's hardware features, like the camera and GPS. It would be nice to have the camera feature, but really it would only be a marginal improvement for the huge extra cost associated with developing and maintaining, and most people on BB and Windows would probably get left out of the loop for a while on the native app route.

The GPS locating is also pretty overrated IMO, considering if you go to whatever Map application you have you can search "bear near my location" and it will bring it all up, and more often than not actually show BeerAdvocate reviews or links to the BeerAdvocate place page.

Keith_R likes this.
  37. Mscarpen

Mscarpen Savant (345) Tennessee Apr 2, 2011

This may very well be the trigger for the next wave in craft beer mainstreaming.

38. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

Can't wait for the app...so many possibilities.

39. jaz58

jaz58 Savant (315) Ontario (Canada) Dec 13, 2005

Happy Holidays to all BA fans. Thanks Todd for the good news. I look forward to the February 8-9.

Cheers

40. robinhoover

robinhoover Zealot (80) Vermont Jan 27, 2011

Congratulations on, IMHO, a very smart decision:

For a community as large and active as this, this really was the only way to go!

(Actually it's not, but I'm not going to bust your chops over this hybrid approach (the beeradvocate.com vs. m.beeradvocate.com discussion) as it does provide you with some flexibility for mobile-specific features!)

Looking forward to your progress, but especially any discussion on a public-facing API. A no-brainer for extending your brand and auto-magically creating some great network effects with minimal effort (don't tell your coding team I said that :) ).

Happy Holidays!

Zach136 likes this.