1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BeerAdvocate app: Sneak Peek & FAQ

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Will this impact the timeline for integration of the main (new? can we still call it that?) site?

I'm still waiting for the old bells, whistles and statistics to be completed and returned before I start thinking about 'new' stuff.
  2. Todd

Todd Founder (1,430) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Not really. We need to build a new API anyway and many of the other components that we're building for the app will be used on the full-site too.
  3. RyanMM

RyanMM Aficionado (210) Michigan Mar 12, 2009

I know of other app developers who started out on the "web app" route but quickly realized it wasn't all they thought it was cracked up to be and ended up putting out native Apps. A believe a web app is a necessary part of an app portfolio, but it shouldn't be the only member for long.
    bpgpitt10 likes this.
  4. robinhoover

robinhoover Disciple (70) Vermont Jan 27, 2011

Neither route is perfect:

Web apps are limited quite largely by restricted access to device APIs. Native apps are restricted by the development $$$$$$$$$$$ necessary to meet the requirements of hundreds of devices.

Pick your poison.

Just out of curiosity, are you guys willing to share which framework you're using for this magical new app?
  5. DeLemming

DeLemming Disciple (55) Belgium Apr 24, 2011

Does no native app means the app cannot be used without an internet connection? I understand I wouldn't be able to search reviews without internet (except for downloading the complete content of BA to my phone), but it would be very useful to be able to add a personal "had" or review when off-line.
    UncleJimbo likes this.
  6. Mike

Mike Senior Web Developer (445) New Hampshire Nov 17, 2010 Staff Member

The W3C Geolocation API makes it possible to access the GPS from the web browser. As of iOS 6 it's possible to access the camera from the web browser.

Code:
    <input type="file" accept="image/*" />
    robinhoover, Zach136 and Todd like this.
  7. Zach136

Zach136 Advocate (555) Georgia Jun 17, 2012

Jeez, you stay out of the loop for 4 months and totally miss some big things. That's awesome! Kind of strange though, not sure why Apple would make Web Apps even more attractive to developers
  8. The only reason I have a desire for a web app is to speed up access to checking beers while on the go plus ticking off my "hads" on the go. If this thing doesn't load significantly faster than the regular site then I don't really get the point of it.

Can't say I'm exactly stoked about this.
  9. He'll yeah, finally an Ap more useful than the flashlight and magic 8 ball!
  10. Sounds awesome! Looking forward too it. Not looking forward to the Mrs. having one more reason to yell at me for being on the phone!
  11. Angst

Angst Aficionado (185) California Nov 8, 2007

Yes!! Cannot wait for this!
  12. Are there any fellow BA community members that currently use Untappd as their beer app of choice right now? Just curious. I'd love to be able to leave Untappd and use the BA app for all my beering needs once it's ready.
    gwdavis and UncleJimbo like this.
  13. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (340) Illinois Mar 13, 2011

I agree with this. When I'm out somwhere and things are less than exciting, I've been known to participate in forums from my smartphone...
  14. Todd

Mobile forum support will happen with subsequent releases.
    benjaminahudson likes this.
  15. Yay! for being able to quickly know what temperature, the beer your drinking while out, should be served at!
  16. sounds good to me!
  17. NWFLyer

NWFLyer Aficionado (175) Florida Apr 26, 2009

Looking forward to this app with great anticipation - It just may surpass the Starbucks app as the most useful one on my phone!
  18. IHBJared

IHBJared Initiate (20) Washington Jan 3, 2013

From the looks of the screenshot, my guess is JQuery Mobile.
  19. Todd

Update: Yesterday we got to see Mike's progress, which included ...
    • Authentication
    • Brewery / beer pages
    • UI / Hads, Wants, Gots controls
    It's look pretty damn slick. Simple. Easy to use.

[​IMG][​IMG]

We'll be working on the layout, other front/backend tweaks and loading in the EBF beers in the upcoming weeks to start doing some testing.

Again, this BA Fests app will be our beta and lay some of the foundation for more mobile apps.

Much more to follow ...
  20. jbierling

jbierling Aficionado (235) Michigan Sep 15, 2009

Eager to see the result.
  21. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (945) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

Sounds great! Now you just need to set up free wifi in the Cyclorama so we can use the app. ;)
    BeerThursdays and RyanBeer13 like this.
  22. Todd

We're looking at it, but it should work just fine over 3/4G just fine too.
  23. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (945) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

I'm sure, but I'm a cheap bastard with a wifi-only iPod Touch.
    jebsinger and ShogoKawada like this.
  24. I use both simultaneously. Untappd is my ticking app, whereas this site I use more for figuring out how the beer actually tastes.
  25. I was thinking the other day while in a area I'm not familiar with, I wish there was a app where I can search the area around me and find stores and bars with their ratings (from BA users). And then click on it for directions. You think you guys can pull that off
    gueuzer likes this.
  26. blackcloud

blackcloud Savant (385) Alaska Apr 28, 2012

Yeah... it's my standard "in the field" app. it'd be awesome to see them partner with BA... but I'm definitely excited for what's to come...
    sacrelicio and LambicPentameter like this.
  27. I could see myself migrating away from Untappd if it functions as easily and there's a good way for location entry and finding friends.. Just get a list of your beers and put them into BA, and migration complete..
  28. blackcloud

blackcloud Savant (385) Alaska Apr 28, 2012

yeah, i've already transposed most of my untappd list over here. i'll probably rarely use it once the BA app is up and running
  29. caulfield

caulfield Aficionado (100) Georgia Sep 24, 2012

Any updates on the app? I know that beer fest is coming up in February. No rush, I'm just so pumped for a BA app. I love the magazine and it would be great to take the ratings with me into a beer store/restuarant, etc.
  30. I mainly use untappd to know what's on tap in my surrounding area, so I probably will still use it. I'm assuming BA app won't have this feature.
  31. Todd

Not initially, but location based functionality is being discussed.
    gueuzer and Rollzroyce21 like this.
  32. Todd

We're testing the beta fest app right now.
    caulfield, Mreyes69 and jebsinger like this.
  33. Awesome. About time
  34. funhog

funhog Savant (425) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

I don't get it???
    Will it work on a Nokia mobile phone?
  35. Todd

You don't get what? And that's depend on which Nokia you have. Currently there are many. Historically even more. If it's a modern Nokia smartphone ... than I don't foresee any reason why it shouldn't work.
  36. caulfield

caulfield Aficionado (100) Georgia Sep 24, 2012

Thanks for the reply!
  37. any idea when the full app will be out? i'd love to get untapped off my phone.
    also, not that it matters but any idea on the cost?
  38. Todd

Please see the original post in this thread. Cheers!
  39. hurry...yo can i beta test it?
  40. Borkinator

Borkinator Zealot (80) Vermont Mar 2, 2011

can't wait for this to come out!