1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment BeerAdvocate app: What features would you like see?

Discussion in 'Site' started by Todd, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlakeL

BlakeL Aficionado (145) Florida Jan 2, 2012

It would be cool if you guys could integrate with World of Beer so that your black card drinks automatically queue up for you to review on the app. Not sure how possible this is since you would need an API from WoB that might not exist but it would defiantly be a cool feature.
  2. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

WOB is going to be releasing an app that will allow Loyalty club members to access there list from their mobile device. to save on paper from printing them out. I doubt very much if they will open there system to another company as they almost didnt allow the WOB app due to "privacy" concerns
  3. drabmuh

drabmuh Champion (815) Maryland Feb 7, 2004

1. Barcode scanner - I understand the potential problems with this but there are workarounds
    2. Beer near me - be able to access barfly based on geographic distance from current location, filter by brewpub, restaurant, brewery, bar
    3. Top beer lists
    4. Access to WANTS (gots probably not as necessary on a mobile app)
    5. Check ins - HADS access - if you are a brew pub their beers available quickly

Really REALLY looking forward to this....seriously.
    kingcrowing likes this.
  4. A location map, so we can see what BA's are drinking at the next table over? Similar to FB checkins nearby friends?

Tweet your rating for the beer you're drinking and have just rated?
  5. (I) Database for beers I have in my cellar and when consumed marked as consumed. Search function to see list of beer I consumed in a user selected period of time, e.g. show what I consumed Nov 2011 to April 2012 and the total price.

(II) Database of my tasting notes. The database should be both searchable and sortable:
    - Sort by date rated, sort by ratings, sort by price, sort by brewery, sort by style, etc.
    - Search by ratings, e.g. show me all beer I rated between 4.0 to 5.0 points.
    Spider889 likes this.
  6. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

Android! And suitable for Ice Cream Sandwich.
    bb8189 likes this.
  7. mattlqx

mattlqx Disciple (55) Arizona Feb 28, 2010

I'm looking for an app that I can rate/take notes on the beer I'm drinking and most importantly, has a Facebook Open Graph integration so I can get some aggregations on my Timeline. Most apps out there ignore the social part of beer drinking.
  8. Big ups on the app push! Cannot wait! I wish I would've discovered this thread a month ago (reviews of beers and places would have been at the top of the list with the location-based addition of "other BA's in your area." If they (other BA's) are in the bar you could click a "Send them a beer" pop-up.

Anyway, looking forward to it!
  9. Android. And Google+ integration. +1
    redblacks75 and shutyourface like this.
  10. ricksrealm

ricksrealm Aficionado (220) Florida Nov 10, 2011

For the forum to work. The app force closes everytime i try to load the forum.
    SeaWatchman likes this.
  11. Dcuhel

Dcuhel Aspirant (40) Wisconsin Apr 1, 2011

I would like to be able to have a list of beers I've tryed, with my review.
    Event map and calendar.
    Easy beer look up. keystroke, bar code, of label scan.
    Beer deals, and specials near by.
    iPhone user.
  12. Beer availability in pubs/bars by location- i.e. what is the pub actually serving on tap, and in the bottle. New releases.
    This will shortcut having to visit specific web sites. Also, location and hour info.

You could charge a monthly fee for pubs/bars to be listed on your app. Good for beer drinkers, drinking establishments, and you:)

In the UK this is already being done:http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/caskfinder/id362023416?mt=8

I am not sure if this app lists pub info.

Good example: if I want to find where Heady Topper is being served in Boston, I could use your app.
    Also, a lot of pubs/bars have poor web sites, or their web sites are difficult to navigate. Your app
    could centralize info about local beer drinking.
  13. Im past due....iPad app with ability to upload photos, a beer checklist to track what youve tasted and all the other great stuff already suggested. Thanks :)
  14. timsamoff

timsamoff Disciple (50) California Jan 16, 2011

Please make it open source. It would be great to be able to offer/commit changes/fixes as well as make it available on a wide array of operating systems (other than just iOS and Android). For instance, I know a lot of people who could make this happen on the Nokia N9, etc.

Thanks!
    Tim
    HevvyMetalHippie likes this.
  15. eaweiss

eaweiss Disciple (60) Ohio Apr 4, 2011

I know a good amount of us already use Untappd, so it would be nice if there could somehow be an integration with that app.
  16. AdamPri

AdamPri Initiate (20) Jun 7, 2012

A simple way of starring or marking beers that you have already tasted so you can access a list of your own personal ratings. Similarly, it'd be nice to mark beers that you want to try in the future with the ability of establishing priority
    ( a numbered queue). Of course, Top 100 and a central, clear way of seeing BA/Bros scores is a must.
    Thanks for everything guys. We've been waiting on an app for a while!
    Spider889 likes this.
  17. eaweiss

eaweiss Disciple (60) Ohio Apr 4, 2011

In fact, it would be ideal if you guys could just buy, or buy into, Untappd and combine powers to make the most unstoppable beer app of all time.
    HevvyMetalHippie likes this.
  18. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (640) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

I highly doubt that the Bros would consider working a competitor's website into their own app, and considering their appeals concerning cost atm, I don't see a buyout either.

But it's not a bad idea were the chance for it to happen to arise. I imagine that next to BA and RB, Untapped is the next largest beer rating/social website out there.
  19. ANDROID!
    OddNotion and mjtiernan like this.
  20. tj12sh

tj12sh Aspirant (45) Texas Jun 1, 2010

A way to track beers that I have had and easy, QUICK way to review.
  21. A price check feature. You would enter the price you see in a store, and it would show where that price falls in the range from stores of a given area.
    kawilliams81 likes this.
  22. hazmat

hazmat Zealot (95) New York Jun 23, 2005

Another vote for Untappd integration. They have what looks like a pretty comprehensive API.
    StarRaptor likes this.
  23. mungus

mungus Savant (260) Australia Oct 19, 2010

+1 for basic cellar/inventory support. Would dearly love to barcode scan a bottle, and then 'Add To Cellar...'

Then when I drink it, I can go to my cellar list and hit 'Review!', whereupon the app will take me to a pre-filled review form. Luxury!
  24. AaronBurr

AaronBurr Savant (270) Illinois Dec 17, 2011

Information to help understand the bottled on dates. Ie how to interpret the code, if it is bottled on or best before, and if best before what the adder is.
    jbertsch, kawilliams81 and Auror like this.
  25. Steeeve

Steeeve Savant (255) Pennsylvania Nov 16, 2010

I'm sure others have mentioned, but a "nearby places" feature and barcode scanner search option are necessities.
    Holland likes this.
  26. I'm not sure if it's feasible, but some type of predictive ranking system that takes your previous reviews, rDev%, and your rating trends for particular styles, breweries, etc. into consideration in order to give you a numerical score that it estimates you may give that particular brew had you tried it.
  27. hazmat

hazmat Zealot (95) New York Jun 23, 2005

To further requests for finding beers on tap, the only site I've found that has tap lists that are updated daily is BeerMenus. They have no native app, though their web app works well enough on the iPhone. To be able to integrate that into your own app would be awesome. This is assuming it will be written in Objective C.
  28. kingcrowing

kingcrowing Advocate (550) Vermont Mar 24, 2009

The main thing that I would like is an email notification of the beginning of the Kickstarter project, and I'll be willing to donate generously.

I've had thousands of posts on BA, over a thousand beer reviews, many place reviews/additions, and sadly since the redesign I've started to become less active. Since I mainly used BA on my smartphone I'd love just a mobile friendly view (I've had both iOS and Android phones and tablets). An app would be fantastic but obviously that would be A) More work and B) only cater to one group of users per app.

EDIT: Dream feature for me would be use your current location mapped onto say Google Maps, then drop pinpoints for all locations listed on BA. I travel for work/fun quite a bit and when you're not familiar with an area and you're just looking at a list of place it's hard to tell if it's a half mile away or 15 miles away in big cities like Orlando or Seattle. That way you could see what places are within walking distance.
  29. kiya

kiya Aficionado (215) California Jun 5, 2004

This sounds like an amazing project.
    Any way you can have an email list dedicated to this so we can be notified of the Kickstarter going up?
  30. cdithaca

cdithaca Zealot (85) New York Dec 17, 2009

I would dearly love to see the BeerFly Directory on Android so that when I'm traveling I can find the best places to enjoy craft beer near my location.
  31. MilkManX

MilkManX Savant (310) Arizona Jul 10, 2012

Would be great to have the beer reviews and index and the forums available on all mobile platforms. Easy way to update your lists too.
  32. DeLemming

DeLemming Disciple (55) Belgium Apr 24, 2011

• An easy way to enter new beers which are not yet present in the database (name, brewery, style, a photo,...).
    • Quick access to wants/gots lists, easy to add beers to them and to give ratings (I don't think I will be writing full reviews on my phone).
    • View ratings and reviews for a beer.
    I'm an iPhone user.
  33. What this guy said.

You should check out the Vivino app for iOS and Andriod. You take a picture of the wine label it opens the wine's page with quick ratings, pairing tips and etc. That, autofill when you are search for a beer/brewery/store/bar (when not taking pictures) and finding bars/store/breweries close to either your gps location or your input would make the BA app really fantastic.
  34. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (915) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

You should check out Beer Menus website, they do this very thing for major cities in the US.
  35. artdob

artdob Aficionado (140) California Dec 23, 2010

A bit out of the box here, but would like to see a similar community expanded for whisky reviews. I'm imagining beer and whisky reviews in one app (website). Malt madness.
  36. robinhoover

robinhoover Disciple (70) Vermont Jan 27, 2011

For your long-term sanity, stay away from native apps!

Since you're going for a complete site redesign you have a unique opportunity to go responsive. Benefits: code once and be immediately cross-platform: phones of all colors, tablets of all kinds, desktops of any varietal, all with the same basic functionality, expanded or collapsed according to the device of course (i.e. same content different user experience).

While you will, for the time being, disappoint BAers who want access to their phone's hardware api's (camera primarily, geolocation's easy) your content, the heart and soul of BA, will be instantly available and rendered best according to the screen.

Aren't you guys in Boston if I'm remembering right? Research the work the Globe has done with their site, it's about as modern as a huge site can be, yet eminently doable for a small business too!

oh, and an API please please :).
  37. dauss

dauss Advocate (565) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

Since no one has mentioned it yet, I hope it's free.
    CBlack85 and redblacks75 like this.
  38. not at launch but sometime down the road when the technology catches up for those who dont have it ..

NFC feature...for tapit smart stickers, intergated with the magazine, or for purchasing festival tickets, sharing info with fellow BAs at gatherings etc.

link for podcasts to main site, maybe covering interviews or beer festivals happenings, brewer interviews

location service, a seperate feature where you can log in and see where other BAs are drinking and meet up with, would of course be optional and you dont have to broadcast your whereabouts if dont sign in

and of course the usual, easy access to your hads, would love to see a bar code scanner feature where you could scan the bar code of a bottle and tell you if you had it before..once you start getting into the thousands and labels start to change it makes it harder to remember every beer you had, would be a quicker feature then search.

easy forum set up clean, Ba mail forward.

some are a bit far fetched and maybe not feasible on a mobile app but nice to dream.
  39. HattedClassic

HattedClassic Savant (455) Virginia Nov 23, 2009

I would like this app to allow my phone to pour free beer. If not, I'd a like a beer finder that lists the nearest store to my location that carries a specific beer that I'm looking for or a list of stores that carry that exact beer.
  40. KJabo

KJabo Aficionado (155) Illinois Aug 8, 2012

How about a way to share you gots and had lists with other users
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.