BeerAdvocate Fest in California?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Fests' started by dwagner003, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Hey Bros,

Any plans on having a Beer Fest in CA? With the huge beer following in San Diego, I bet it would be very successful. Just curious. I know I'd attend!

2. Todd

Todd Founder (1,615) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

No plans at the moment, but we are actively looking to host a BA Fest outside of Boston, MA.

BeerKangaroo, papat444 and madmanjf like this.
  3. charlzm

charlzm Champion (800) California Sep 3, 2007

ISO BA West Coast fest.

mreaber09, frankd97, j47paco and 5 others like this.
  4. I say San Diego, SF or Portland. SF has a million different venues to host a beer fest as does Portland. I'm not familiar enough with SD to proclaim anything there, but it'd be a great excuse to go back and visit again.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  5. shredder83

shredder83 Savant (430) Illinois Feb 21, 2013

I vote Chicago, there's way more craft lovers in Chicago than San Diego by sheer population density....plus that would be epic.

newjack, blue-dream and ivorycannon like this.
  6. I would go to California for this.

BeerKangaroo likes this.
  7. cwehr13

cwehr13 Savant (405) Illinois Aug 4, 2011

Agree about being in Chicago.

newjack, blue-dream and shredder83 like this.
  8. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (500) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

I vote San Diego in the winter for the obvious reason (Hawaii would be OK too)

BeerKangaroo and dianimal like this.
  9. limited87

limited87 Initiate (0) California Jan 4, 2014

Yea, but us CAers don't want to wear 5 layers of coats to walk outside.

I like the fact it was 67degrees Sunday.

SF would be awesome. So many great Bay Area beers, plus you could coordinate with the SF Beer Week people to get ideas/tips.

Look at it this way-why pick someone where it could very easily be freezing cold, vs. somewhere the low temp is about 50 degrees?

10. I know it'll never happen (customs and what not) but Montreal would welcome you kindly :)

SebD likes this.
  11. While I would totally support a BA Fest in walking distance to the Weiner's Circle (chocolate shake), SoCal attendance would be crazy.

12. colforbin73

colforbin73 Savant (310) California Mar 30, 2010

there is an SF Beer Fest.... but it is SF. anyway... you could do a semi rural Beer Fest with some cool bands out in the woods, close to where i live or not too far, accessible by obscure backroads or bigger ones. like a fairgrounds kind of spot with a sausage vendor.

there should be some bluesy rootsy music during the day and then a progressive punk type band at night.

thanks! i'll take my answer off the air.

13. charlzm

ISO - BA LA Beer Fest.
    FT - $75

craft_is_king likes this.
  14. charlzm

If we're going by sheer population density, then let's go with Los Angeles. It's central to the area: only a couple of hours away by car from San Diego and about 5 hours from Las Vegas and San Francisco.

AlpineVillage and caseyjacks like this.
  15. Long time listener first time caller. San Francisco would be a great choice. Transportation from SFO and Okland airports just a few dollars via the Bart (Bay Area Rapid Transit). Plenty of hotels, motels and hostels for those who roll like that. Goood breweries close by and for those that have love for the home brew, 2013 Home brewer of the year is a short drive away in Sacramento.

16. Todd

Update: @Jason and I have begun to actively research potential host cities in California for a BeerAdvocate Fest in 2015.

mikul93, KevSal, deford and 19 others like this.
  17. Brett858

Brett858 Aspirant (40) California Aug 12, 2014

Considering that San Diego is the Craft Beer Capital of the World, and the greatest City in the history of Mankind(per Ron Burgundy), I think it's the obvious choice.

highdesertdrinker and MisSigsFan like this.
  18. BaconFest

BaconFest Initiate (20) California Oct 24, 2014

I'm more than happy to help bring BeerAdvocate to San Diego. I produce San Diego Bacon Fest (2,500+ guests) and have a great location for a BeerAdvocate Beer Fest.

MisSigsFan and tkdchampxi like this.
  19. einhorn

einhorn Savant (405) California Nov 3, 2005

How about in the middle of all these locations, the beautiful central coast of CA??

20. Todd

Thanks, but we've got the whole hosting fests thing covered. We've hosted around 50 fests since 2003, with 15,000 attendees at our largest fest.

21. mudbug

San Diego for the weather! YES!

Rothobinide likes this.
  22. MrDave

MrDave Advocate (615) California Jan 23, 2013

If you zero in on the bay area, I'd suggest Todos Santos Plaza in Concord. Outdoors, nice weather, ample free parking, walkable from BART, stage for live music, and right next to the home of the Brewing Network and a couple other craft beer spots.
    [​IMG]

davetharave likes this.
  23. Somewhere in California would be awesome, but every large city needs a fest ! (And a lot of smaller ones too)

24. Definitely San Diego!!!

dianimal and Rothobinide like this.
  25. Rothobinide

Rothobinide Savant (320) California Jun 28, 2014

I wouldn't limit it to ONE fest in CA, I would suggest having one in SoCal - San Diego would be the prime spot for that. Then have one north, most likely in the SF Bay area.

The only caveat is that both of these cities are practically bursting with events year-round, already. You would want to be judicious about scheduling it.

einhorn likes this.
  26. Mid State Fairgrounds in Paso Robles is a fantastic location. Same spot that Firestone holds theirs.

27. mudbug

Thats a nice place, but it's a loooong way from a major airport

MrDave likes this.
  28. Good point, but it hasnt stopped people from flying from all over the states to attend Firestone's Invitational. Besides, this is a CA festival we're talking about. Why not right in the middle of CA so as to attract both the Bay and SD people?

29. einhorn

einhorn Savant (405) California Nov 3, 2005

Added bonus: Wives, girlfriends and SO's would love to go wine tasting while you enjoy your beer fest.

30. dagubna

dagubna Savant (330) California Oct 6, 2010

Orange County gets no love, SD and LA don't leave any left over! Come do one in OC since SD has enough of a beer scene already! Make 'em drive for once like we have to drive there!

31. May I suggest my living room in Santa Barbara? I already have one kegerator with room for at least two or three more and space for about 15-20 guests if they don't mind standing or perhaps sitting on the floor.

In all seriousness though, there are a lot of great outdoor venues from Santa Barbara to Paso Robles. I'll toss my vote in for the Central Coast as well (as if this is a voting thing.)

Treezilla likes this.
  32. tfs8271

tfs8271 Aficionado (225) California Mar 14, 2007

But it has crossed your mind. ;)

33. Todd

jRocco2021 likes this.
  34. jamesar

jamesar Aficionado (195) California Mar 13, 2012

Port of Long Beach would be a great spot. Similar to the Shelton Brothers festival location. Good halfway point between LA & OC and not too far from San Diego.

riotontheroad and TrojanHopHead like this.
  35. rickrem

rickrem Savant (275) California Jun 3, 2007

If it's a toss up between LA and San Diego, OC would be right in the middle!

riotontheroad likes this.
  36. cookiequiz

cookiequiz Savant (375) California Apr 15, 2013

You should call it 'Fest of the West' and sign up only the best of the rest.

37. Hophazzard

Hophazzard Savant (295) California Aug 16, 2014

We need something in the Bay Area. Nor Cal deserves some BA love...

Mofoa and SanFranJake like this.
  38. dutesanch

dutesanch Savant (300) California Apr 22, 2014

Fresno/Clovis is right in the middle of the state. Makes it an equal drive for LA and SF folks alike. Direct flights to and from Denver along with many other major western region cities. You can actually find parking, and the venue would be cheaper to rent. Just stay to the north and you're good.

catbirdofdoom likes this.
  39. Yes please.