1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BeerAdvocate mobile beta: Testers Wanted

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

[​IMG]

Finally. After years of waiting, asking and demanding an app, we'd like to invite you to help us test our first ever official BeerAdvocate (BA) web app.

Note: Initially this was going to be solely a BA fest beta web app, but we've since opened it up. This is not a final product. This beta release is merely our first step in making your BA mobile experience an easier one. Desktop browsing of the web app isn't restricted, but eventually will be.

To access on your mobile device:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/m/

ba-mobile-qrcode.png

Current Beta Features
    • Conversations: read only Inbox (start, reply and leave to follow)
    • Forums: read only (posting to follow).
    • Search: live search beers and brewers.
    • Get basic info on beers.
    • Had: quickly rate a beer; 1-5.
    • Want: create beer wish list.
    • Got: track your beer stash.
    Update History
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/beeradvocate-mobile-update-history.77116/

Upcoming Features
    • Easy access to your Hads, Wants and Gots.
    • Ability to add a beer.
    • Write and edit full Reviews.
    • User stats.
    • User activity feeds.
    • Find and follow other BAs; make new friends.
    • Forum posting/replying/editing.
    • Tag the beer you're currently drinking.
    • Check into the place you're currently drinking at.
    • Event beer lists.
    • Upload pictures.
    • Twitter integration.
    • Beer Karma; achievements.
    … and much more.

Thanks to Mike, our Senior Web Developer, for starting work on this and creating the API base that'll be used for our site redesign and much more.

We'll do our best to address your questions. In the meantime, we look forward to your feedback and helping us build a better mobile experience.

Cheers!

(Note: This replaces our Kickstarter app project that was never launched. We've decided to do this on our own dime.)
    teyuders, KostyaK, ssam and 44 others like this.
  2. Great! I look forward to this making my access to BA easier. Can't wait to check it all out.
    hoplover82 and beatenbyjacks like this.
  3. "Desktop browsing isn't restricted, but eventually will be."

Can you please help the technologically challenged (me) and explain what that means? Sorry, I wish I was kidding...but I'm not.
  4. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Savant (385) California Nov 7, 2011

Sounds good. Still like the desktop version as well.
  5. Ahhh - got it. Thanks!
  6. Playing around with it now. Love how when searching for a beer it autocompletes based on the most popular results. Drinking a Maharaja and by the time I typed 'Mah' it knew what I was looking for. Good so far and I'm looking forward to seeing what the finished product looks like.
  7. OK...now one thing that could be improved: when I hit the back button on my Android phone it takes me back to the previous website I visited instead of the last screen on the mobile site I visited.
  8. What will happen if I move the slider on a beer I've already reviewed (not merely had)?
  9. July2Nov

July2Nov Savant (405) Hawaii Aug 27, 2006

This is a great start! Thanks all who contributed to this.
  10. HopsMatt

HopsMatt Savant (460) Kentucky Dec 1, 2011

I understand this is beta and a lot may change.

Pros:
    - Autocomplete in search
    - Streamlined profiles

Cons:
    - Having to hit the icon to do anything
    - No access to PMs

just my .02
  11. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

I use your site so much on my phone, thank you!!!

I would say though that the it lacks what I truly want. I use it on my phone when I'm at a beer store or bar to look up beers. What it should have it is:

Clicking a brewery should allow you the option of seeing what is most reviewed and the rAvg on the same page. Currently, looking at a brewery's beers does neither.
    Also, the "Back" button should be on the left side, like how it would be on a computer or website on the phone.

However, it does truly simplify things and looks pretty sleek, which is awesome.
    Mosmo, WilliamLee, phishbfm and 2 others like this.
  12. this is awesome, i cant recall how many times i would be at a store just gazing at a shelf and browsing this website from my phone out of pure curiosity (or ocd :confused:) .... for what i'm about to purchase
  13. smonice

smonice Initiate (0) New Jersey Aug 10, 2012

Like others have said above, not sure I would call this a mobile app, more of a mobile website. Autosearch is nice and fast, the feature to jump to the brewery itself and see their other offerings is also nice.

Def looking forward to everything linking together to be able to see my lists and others.

Its a start!
    Haywire likes this.
  14. it's a sleek looking app, and i know it's still in development but the only thing i really want to see is the capability of writing full reviews for beers i'm having. this is the only reason i signed up for beeradvocate, so right now the app is pretty useless to me. not saying it doesn't look nice, but i'm not one to look up a beer before i buy it - if it looks good at the store or brewery, then i'm going to drink it.
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  15. Click curled arrow in the upper right.
    RockAZ likes this.
  16. Loving the quick access to wants, gots, and ratings. May start keeping an updated list now that I can do this easier on the phone.

My two cents:
    The autofill is awesome since this site is a bit picky with search terms. Would it be possible to anchor your last brewery search position? Meaning, when I am on a list of beers and I go into a page to rate/whathaveyou and I head back, it takes me to the top of the page instead of the position I was last on.

The slider is a great feature, can you disable the 'open in a new page' popup? Or is that a user error on my part?

Final critique. Thoughts on 3 lines per beer ( wrapping the beer name) instead of 2? On the longer beer names I cannot see the whole name in portait view and I can't see the autofill in landscape.

Keep up the awesome work. The mobile site is going to be badass
    stormy04311 likes this.
  17. Love the clean design; buttons could be a little larger but that's being picky
    MEW likes this.
  18. I saw that, but it's not intuitive to android users (or easy to reach on my phone one handed). Figured it was something worth mentioning.
  19. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Couple comments/suggestions:

You guys should really call this a mobile site, not an app. If it runs in the phone's browser, it's not an app. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's just not accurate.

How about including scores in the search results? It looks like there's space for a fourth line of text in the search results.

I know all the photos of beers are different sizes, but how about centering them in a square in the search results? Also, there's a lot of whitespace between the photos and the text in the search results. I guess this is to accomodate the widest of all the photos, but it might be worth cropping/resizing those odd photos for the purposes of the mobile site.

The back button needs to work.

Use m.beeradvocate.com for the final version, or at least put a redirect there.

The address bar on the iphone covers the top line of the site sometimes, requiring scrolling to access the back button.

Missing from upcoming features (presumably an oversight): read reviews!
  20. emannths

One more idea: if you're going to stick with buttons at the top, add a magnifying glass to access the search page, a quote bubble to access the forums, and pushpin for location-based stuff like places/check-ins, etc.
    brystmar and gpawned like this.
  21. Kmccabe33

Kmccabe33 Savant (405) Georgia Nov 4, 2011

This sums up my thoughts in a single sentence. How is it considered an app when it is just a mobile site? It is sweet progress, don't get me wrong, but can it at least be called what it really is?
  22. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Savant (480) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2007

So does this work on my Blackberry or Palm Pilot?
  23. MaxH

MaxH Zealot (90) Maryland Jan 12, 2011

I seem to be the only one having trouble using it. I have a Samsung Charge SCH-i510 running Gingerbread (2.6.35.7), and I'm unable to log in using the default browser or Dolphin. In Dolphin it didn't even let me type in my username, but in the default Android browser the login always failed, and I quintuple-checked my username and password.
  24. emannths

Sure. ENIAC too.
    billandsuz likes this.
  25. You should make the sliders on the beer profile page bigger. I can't see much around my thumb
  26. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (440) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

That's easily circumvented by spoofing User Agent header, many plugins available for Chrome and FireFox ( User Agent switcher my fave)
  27. maxcoinage

Is there an AJAX request that submits my rating? It doesn't seem intuitive that my rating is being saved as there's no submit button. Considering there is a slider, I assume there is some kind of delay on this since I may not have ticked it exactly where I wanted to at first given the UI.
  28. maxcoinage

This is due to the framework being used, jQuery Mobile. Notice when you are browsing and searching the site, your URL bar always remains at http://beeradvocate.com/m . The Android hardware back button will take you to the previous URL. I believe this is the solution to solve for it: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12859759/take-control-of-hardware-back-button-jquery-mobile
    zachary80 likes this.
  29. The navigation page is very buggy on my phone in dolphin and default droid browser. Some of the stuff on the interface doesnt slide over
  30. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

I like the look of it. A few things:

- When I search for a beer, and click into a result, the android keyboard stays up and covers half the page. It'd be nice if that dropped automatically instead of me having to click back to make it drop. Not sure if that's a page code thing or a my phone thing.

- When I'm on a beer page and I click the BA logo to slide the menu open, the rating slider, wants, and gots buttons don't slide and sit there floating.

- I'm sure it's on the list but I'd like to see quick access to the top beer lists.
  31. eatabag

eatabag Aficionado (210) California Jun 22, 2011

I would strongly vote for actually using proper browser navigation entries than just overriding the back button. Then forward and back will play nicely in all browsers.

If I recall, it can be done without changing the URL.
    http://diveintohtml5.info/history.html
    tinypyramids likes this.
  32. Pretty nice so far, guys! Love how fast everything works, auto-query when typing a beer name is great, and also love the .25 incremental rating scale. Don't particularly care there's no space for writing a long-winded review- really, who wants to type all that out on a phone? Perhaps if I were using a tablet I'd be singing a different tune, but as of now it's nice and streamlined, and I like that.
    I too fell victim to hitting the "back" button on my phone instead of hitting the app icon, so that will take a little bit of time to get used to. Really looking forward to seeing how this further develops!
    Genuine likes this.
  33. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (170) New York Dec 25, 2008

As previously mentioned, it would be great to be able to see a beer's "score" in the results list. Not sure if this has already been addressed, and maybe I'm just missing it, but is there a way to read a beer's reviews?
  34. maxcoinage

I would personally consider being able to read reviews of beers as the number one use case for the mobile site/app, with giving a quick rating/review as a close second. When I'm out at a bar and looking to try a new beer, or perhaps at the liquor store and see a new shipment in of something I haven't tried before, I will usually pull up the RateBeer app or Untappd and read several reviews before making a decision to try it or not.
  35. When I try to log it, it goes to the loading screen then takes me to the log-in page again...
  36. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (545) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

What a great step to the mobile app distro, keep up the great work!!
  37. Many similar points from me, as well:

1.) The back button on my phone was the first option to me, so when I clicked it I was taken back to this thread instead of my search page.

2.) The automatic completion in searches is cool.

3.) Adding ratings to the search automatic complete suggestion box would be awesome so that we could just type a few letters, see ratings, delete, and move on to the next search instead of enter the full beer profile and then have to click back and start again.

4.) BETA is just being tested, obviously, but forum access, beer mail access, and such would be a huge must for me to actually use the Mobile Site.

5.) I'm a young man with an old soul and cranky geezeresque attitude: I don't like change. I still prefer the regular site through my browser on my phone. It's just more familiar.

I am running Ice Cream Sandwich on an Android Motorola Razr.

P.S. Cool bullet points, Todd. I wanted to use them, but have no idea how on my phone...
  38. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

Don't know if you guys know about this but pulling up the side panel in search after autocomple sends the side panel to the back and leaves the search results on top. On galaxy s2 running gingerbread.ucla3 default browser.

Edit: on everything side panel is sent to the back.
  39. Not sure if this is the forum for bugs, but on iPhone 5 when I launch from the home screen (after prompt to save the icon down) I have get this screen. Works great when I launch from the url in Safari[​IMG]
    yamar68 likes this.
  40. maxcoinage

Not sure if this is device specific or not, but when I'm on a beer page and click the BA button to pull the slide out menu, the controls are overlapped on the menu. I have a Galaxy Nexus ( verizon 4G) Android 4.1.1

Here's a screenshot:
    [​IMG]