1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BeerAdvocate mobile beta: Testers Wanted

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Seems to be happening to lots of people. Similar thing happens when you open that sidebar while looking at other pages
  2. jbdpsu82

jbdpsu82 Savant (390) Pennsylvania Aug 28, 2012

Nice effort, but I will stick with the full site on my phone's browser; simply because of the Inbox and Alert availability.
    msubulldog25 and weatherdog like this.
  3. maxcoinage

maxcoinage Savant (465) Illinois Apr 6, 2012

Suggestion: add something like this to the header so that when a user adds a shortcut to the bookmark of the mobile side, a custom icon will appear: <linkrel="apple-touch-icon-precomposed" href="image.png" />

EDIT: Notice the difference between the bookmark to beermenus mobile site and BA's. I just looked on their site to compare the difference. it appears that it pulls <linkrel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" /> but it's encapsulated in the "Bookmark" Icon. I guess it works that way but just seems better to me as a stand alone icon.

[​IMG]
  4. I'm on a Nokia Lumia 920 running Windows Phone 8. I'm not seeing any images on my phone:

[​IMG]

Navigation and searching are working ok, seems to be just the images themselves that are missing.
  5. Downloaded it on my iPad and all I'm getting is a grey screen...
  6. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

even in beta it is better than RB's mobile site.
  7. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (255) Colorado Oct 18, 2009

When I touch the back button, my search defaults back to the top and I have to scroll down again. I would prefer if it took me to where I left off in my list.

Hope that helps.
  8. RockAZ

RockAZ Savant (320) Arizona Jan 6, 2009

Thanks, much easier to search for beers than just the regular BA web page and this is 99% of what I would want your app to do for me - So I am happy! Push it to a full app one day please!
  9. ptrc

ptrc Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 26, 2011

you can use pushstate to handle the back button & history while still relying on ajax.
  10. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Having the same issue on my Droid DNA (Verizon), otherwise things are looking good! live search is cool and the beer profiles look nice. Any way to make the BA and back buttons the full height of the upper bar? they're kinda hard to hit, even on a 5 inch screen.
  11. robod

robod Aficionado (130) New York Jun 12, 2005

After selecting 'want' for beers, how do I access my wish list?
  12. OK - so I can get it to work only by using the QR scan and it has to keep running in the scanning app. When I try to launch the app either from the web address (in Safari or Opera) or from the app itself, I can't log in.

Is anyone else with an iPhone 4s experiencing this?
  13. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Nope - works fine from Safari for me.
  14. hope you guys include location where to find a beer.
  15. I'm digging it, can't wait till I can scan barcodes or just photo the bottles or cans
    Shagator and jbdpsu82 like this.
  16. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (550) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

For some reason It's real choppy/laggy on my phone. Theres a significant delay when typing or when moving the slider. Anyone else having the same problem? It's actually quite annoying when moving the "had" slider. Takes quite a bit of concentration to get the correct rating
  17. JonDeutsch

JonDeutsch Zealot (90) Pennsylvania Mar 29, 2008

Dittos on the back button with Android. Every other website lets us use the back button as expected (so it's a learned behavior), but because the site is designed not to update the URL ever, Android sends you out of the BA web app. So, an issue.

Love the auto-complete functionality and the slider tools, etc. But respect Android's OS, please!
  18. Awesome job so far on this. Just wanted to bring this to your attention. When I'm viewing a beer and then tap on the BA icon, some controls are overlapping the left navigation
    [​IMG]
  19. bigedct

bigedct Savant (405) Connecticut Jun 23, 2011

I would like to see the back button take me back to where I was, not the beginning of the prior screen. ie: if navigating to a beer thru the EBF/breweries/selected beer. Once you hit the back button you get to the start of the page. If you were at Weyerbacher, now your at 4 Hands and have to scroll down to the bottom. Although, like the app, I kept going back to 4 Hands as well!
  20. Nice job guys, looking forward to the finished model!

• getting the choppped/overlapped menu screen images with the slider etc (I'm on Android)
    • searched by Brewery and results were ordered in # of reviews from highest to lowest; would prefer alphabetical or highest to lowest rated (with retired filtered out as it is now)
    • in search results, would like to see pic, brief description and score
    • would like to see larger BACK button
  21. My only comment on the beta is to add a search bar at the top on the home screen. I took me a minute to figure out where find the search using Chrome on my mobile device. But it may just be me.
  22. TotallyHosed

TotallyHosed Savant (340) Illinois Jun 20, 2009

How do you log out?
  23. broodog

broodog Savant (335) Illinois Jul 18, 2009

My Stuff (IPhone 5, IOS 6.1.0 jailbroken) The mobile site displayed and rendered perfectly! I like the beer profile pages. They look very nice! I'll be excited once you can actually load the reviews. I assume since it's in very early beta, no forums yet?

One suggestion (from a UX perspective). Get rid of the mobile site. Most people, myself included, don't like to navigate two completely different sites. One on the phone/tablet, one on the computer. Mobile internet browsers these days are very good at displaying full desktop sites. Personally, I'd like to have a BA app on my phone and tablet. And would like to be able to access beeradvocate.com (the full site) on mobile and computer platforms.
    DavidHume likes this.
  24. I'm not very tech savvy, but if you're on an iphone, do you not get this message when you visit the site? :

[​IMG]

If you do this, it will no longer run through your browser and will run as an app.
    Rissy likes this.
  25. Just wanted to update that is now works. Thanks all!
  26. dbrauneis

I like the improved back button graphic - makes a lot more sense to me (I initially thought the other graphic was to refresh the page based on the image).
  27. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Savant (425) Indiana Jun 5, 2012

My thoughts after the first week of using it.

1)The autofill search is nice, albeit kind of slow.

2)Maybe this was said somewhere but are there a lot of pictures missing? If not perhaps there would be a way to use the same generic one like on the site so I dont spend time deciding if the page is still loading or if there is really no picture?

3) Being able to update gots/wants/hads quickly is awesome. Any news on when our individual lists might be accessible from the app?

4) I like that the size of the back button and BA button were increased. I found that with my phone in an otter box, the extreme corners of the screen tend to be hard to tap effectively enough for my phone.
  28. Duff27

Duff27 Advocate (590) Illinois Feb 10, 2010

How about a "push notification" option for inbox/alerts once all the other bugs get worked out?
  29. Love it! The only thing I would like to see is the Bros Review if applicable or the last 2 most recent reviews of a beer. Many times I have been wondering about a beer only to surf thtough the full site.
  30. Homer1

Homer1 Zealot (80) Pennsylvania Jan 28, 2013

Thanks! Already has what I wanted-- quick way to look up beers! It can only get better....:)
  31. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

I don't think that's possible with a web "app".
  32. Loving this for updating hads/wants/gots so far. Would be nice to simply have those added to side screen to see full list.
  33. dbrauneis

Not completely true...my guess is that they will wrapper the web "app" as an application when they are closer to being complete - a typical pattern I have seen amongst mobile application developers (the web version is much easier for initial testing whereas the application version requires registration and payment to the providers of the app store).
  34. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

It would be great as a full on app with all the main capabilities at the website. A mobile site option is cool too. It looks like what you have in progress should turn out well when it's finished.
  35. Cinderbike

Cinderbike Savant (270) Nevada Jan 16, 2011

Lookin' good.

Question: will mobile users be forced to use this? Having no "go to full site" options pet peeve #1 for me.
  36. Hey guys, I found this thread when searching for APIs to connect to.
    Used to have an acct and used to volunteer for your festivals, but that was probably 5 years ago.

Re: Mobile App, Good job so far, I'd actually be interested in testing the BA fest app.
    I think the problems that the user attempts to solve are different at a fest vs. out at a bar.
    Another person commented about being able to locate a certain beer nearby, that is certainly a common use case and a feature that would be a delighter.
    I think you have done a good job on focusing on some basic functions and wouldn't try to do too much at first launch.
    Keep it up, and Mike please let me know when I can expect an API to hook into.
    Thanks,
    Eli
  37. rgco

rgco Aficionado (180) California Apr 2, 2012

Awesome! Welcome to 2010!
    Duesler, yamar68 and ceasewoofing like this.
  38. bcm75

bcm75 Advocate (575) Illinois Mar 23, 2013

I must be missing something obvious. Is there no way to view Wants and Gots lists? I can add to them no problem, just can't figure out how to view my entire list.
    BeerThursdays likes this.
  39. Forum?
    yamar68 likes this.
  40. MIngmire

MIngmire Disciple (55) Missouri Apr 2, 2013

Looks real good on my Samsung Sidekick 4g. Only things I would add are the forums, events, and places. Liking the idea of achievements though.