1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BeerAdvocate mobile beta: Testers Wanted

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Works and looks great on a Galaxy S3. Going to try it on my Nexus 7 too, so glad you guys did this!

2. Reminds me of a mobile website from 2005.
    Severely stripped down beer pages, non-intuitive navigation (including overriding the browser controls), non-tablet optimized, non reactive controls on the stuff you can do (rating a beer has no confirmation) and scrolling had me accidentally rating beers.

Can the center title be some sort of menu? Maybe other parts of the site?
    The reveal left nav (activated when the BA logo is clicked) looks to me like it could be swiped to hide. It can't be.
    I think it makes more sense to use browser navigation, then replace the back arrow with search.
    In the beer pages, the brewery button draws my attention because of its shape, shadow, gradient.
    The beer pictures look like an afterthought.
    In the brewery pages, the beer list looks 1/2 finished with the beer images aligned hard left with no padding.

I can just use the real website on any modern mobile browser and get a full experience. Why not just make a proper responsive site to enhance what you have already done? As is, the page has limited area on smaller mobile devices. The address bar for the browser, then the fixed BA header menu leaves a small area to scroll. I currently see no value in using this especially with the full site giving a decent experience. Hopefully as it progresses, it will become good.

I'm still skeptical on how mobile reviews will work. The BA reviews are well thought out. Will this standard be kept with the mobile site?

Who is this website for? Is it meant to be just for a way for BA members to use on mobile devices? Or is it to dominate the beer app market?

3. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (620) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

It works well to quickly retrieve ratings while browsing in the store for something new. But, as Whoisegon stated, I can use the actual site for this as well. I look forward to any progress you guy s make with the app.

4. Rissy

Rissy Disciple (65) New York May 30, 2008

Reviewing on an iPhone 4 - ios 6.1.3
    I right clicked the arrow to save it my home screen so reviewing it in the actual app state, not in browser.

> I personally really love how clean and simple the app is. I think some people forget that when you are creating for mobile it is supposed to be a scaled back, down and dirty version to quickly use -- not a replica of the desktop version. But if you do want to please the masses it could be a good idea to give the option to "switch to full site" when someone clicks on the mobile site in a browser.
    > When I initially start to type in search it flashes results as what looks like the link the code is pulling from (blue font with underline). It quickly switches back to the formatted search results (image, beer name, brewery and beer type) but could be something that people get stuck on if they have a slow connection.
    > In Search Results there's a lot of padding (white space) to the right of the image. Since you require beer images to be a certain width, maybe you could move the copy to the left more to leave additional room for beers with longer names?
    > Agree with everyone else, would be more natural to have the back button on the left.
    > Wouldn't be a bad thing to have a search icon on the top right to quickly get back to search in case you get too deep. However as I (and other people) become more familiar with the app I'd easily train myself to hit the BA button to go back to search.
    > Also wouldn't mind seeing a review or two for the beer as I usually go off those on deciding whether I want to take a risk on a new beer -- especially when I'm in a crowded bar and don't have the luxury of asking the bartender questions.

5. Nayr

Nayr Savant (285) Hawaii Dec 29, 2012

May have been said, may be in the works. Barcode scanner for search reasons.

RBCORCORAN, jebsinger and MIngmire like this.
  6. atomic

atomic Savant (425) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

Oh for the love of god, make it easy to access the full site for those who want it. Nothing frustrates me more than websites that refuse to load the full site, or make you scroll forever to get to the link to do so.

7. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I like how it looks, its still not very smooth though. Once everything is included and it runs good this thing is gonna be badass.

8. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Site Editor (945) Massachusetts Sep 11, 2002 Staff Member

I was just now using the mobile app. Searched multiple phrases to find Dogfish Head Sixty-one, but it could not be found. I fired up Safari, loaded Beeradvocate.com, and found the beer on the first try. Search on the mobile site appears to need improvement.

duceswild likes this.
  9. dalepryor

dalepryor Savant (380) Texas Aug 30, 2007

I like the picture icons next to the beer names when selecting the brewery of the specific beer you are searching.

10. riemster

riemster Advocate (545) Ohio Mar 17, 2011

• Can you switch the Home and Back buttons. It just feels counter intuitive to have the back button in the top RIGHT corner. Spotify, Messages, etc. all have the back button on the top LEFT.
    • Allow the Home Menu (Profile Picture, Home, Search, Forum) to be opened by swiping. You can close it by swiping right now. Why not be able to swipe it open?
    • Overall it's looking great. I know many people love the android RateBeer app, so maybe look at that for extra help or guidance.

11. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

yamar68 likes this.
  12. vmdominguez

vmdominguez Aficionado (200) Texas Feb 16, 2013

This is great, guys. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to try all the enhancements as they roll out.

13. claspada

claspada Advocate (630) New Jersey Sep 27, 2007

It would be nice to see your Inbox/messages and Beers somewhere.

14. Don't forget the "Like" button

duceswild likes this.
  15. emannths

emannths Savant (390) Massachusetts Sep 21, 2007

Obviously the forum stuff is still in its infancy, but marking unread posts and skipping to them is an essential feature that should be prioritized.

Edit to add: looks like maybe there's no user-specific stuff in the forum functionality (e.g. viewing a post on the mobile site doesn't mark it as read on the full site), so maybe this will come when we get the ability to post?

16. Agree that being able to see reviews rather than only overall scores would be nice.
    Barcode scanner would be awesome too

Cubatobaco likes this.
  17. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (620) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

I enjoyed being able to read the forum last night from my phone. You guys are doing a great job trying to get this thing up and running.

I agree with my fellow BA above (Zero) that seeing reviews would be very helpful, as well as, adding a barcode scanner would be awesome! Also, checking your inbox and being able to converse with other BA's would be cool too.

Keep it up!

18. "Desktop browsing isn't restricted, but eventually will be."

Please, please do not do this. There is nothing I dislike more than being forced into using a mobile version of a site. The app so far works well but I would still choose the desktop version of the site in every case except for maybe browsing the fest specific (EBF) content.

19. UncleJimbo

I think Todd meant that desktop browsing of the mobile website would eventually be restricted, not that anything would change with the regular BA website.

20. dsmil

dsmil Aficionado (110) Maryland Oct 31, 2009

I'm loving it so far, much better than when I had a dumbphone a few months ago and would literally go to the liquor store and write down a list of beers that looked good, then go home and look them up online, then go back to the liquor store to purchase

21. Todd

22. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

tx_beer_man likes this.
  23. I tried it on day one and went back to using bookmarks. Tried again since the updates and really liking it . Can't wait untill the full site is migrated to mobile.

24. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

25. Mikecap

Mikecap Advocate (680) Rhode Island May 18, 2012

Looking great so far guys. Saved me a lot of time perusing the shelves of the liquor store looking to try something new.

26. rbuchli

rbuchli Zealot (75) Missouri Dec 5, 2009

where do I get the app?

27. UncleJimbo

It is not really an app. It is a mobile version of the website at this URL: http://beeradvocate.com/m

28. moshea

moshea Savant (455) Michigan Jul 16, 2007

Free and helpful. My kind of app. Thank you very much

29. Rippeddisc

Rippeddisc Aficionado (215) Hawaii Jun 21, 2006

Long time coming!

However....pretty disappointed. The main purpose of an app (i assume this mobile version is just for beta purposes?), for me would be to rate beers just as i do on the site...same rating scale with the ability to write in my description. This way when I'm traveling and not home I can easily input data. Scaling it all the way back to a simple number doesnt make any sense considering how the site as always operated.

The search works well...would be good to be able to find beer bars/stores etc as well...perhaps based on location/gps/nearest, etc.

Glad you're taking the first steps but looking for some big leaps forward from this.

Keep on living the dream! <3
    aF

30. Although I agree, I feel that the purpose of the mobile app would be primarily for quick 'jots' of information or to look up a beer to see if you've already had it. Full reviews, I'm sure would make it to the app in time, but "on-the-go" functions are needed as well.

31. Genuine

Genuine Savant (415) Connecticut May 7, 2009

So far so good on my iPhone 4 - I'm really digging it and I love the live beer search. The seach is something that I'll find super helpful. Navigation is simple and quick as well.

32. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

Beer search is awesome. Need to have pagination for the forums though!!

33. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Can I request the option to have newer posts near the top of the screen? Makes it easier to just read the latest.

34. seems to work well on my Droid Charge. Display is the same as on my computer, meaning rather small on the phone.I will probably use this occasionally but will certainly prefer devices with larger screens.
    Thanks!

35. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Savant (465) Ohio Feb 2, 2013

the app is pretty nice so far

36. Todd

37. Just tried the new update on my blackberry - it doesn't appear to show alerts for forum threads that are being watched.

38. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Pretty sweet - just tried it on my iPhone 4s. I see a slightly different view of the user profile and it does not seem to contain the beer karma (though it does seem to have all of the stats). I'm not able to see my Reviews|Gots|Wants from the profile either (just the total number).

39. Todd

Correct. Currently there are no alerts in the beta.

40. Todd

We'll have Mike add Beer Karma. Personal lists weren't included in this last update, but are forthcoming.