1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BeerAdvocate mobile beta: Testers Wanted

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Mar 15, 2013.

1. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Awesome - thanks... Hope everyone is having a great time this weekend at the festival.

2. iCabaLLero

iCabaLLero Aficionado (165) Georgia Mar 26, 2013

This is great, I was just asking myself when beer advocate would endorse some app or mobile version of the site for themselves. Thanks Advocate.

3. tried to install it in my iphone but couldnt get past the log in page, any insights?

4. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

You don't install it; yet. You simply login with your current BeerAdvocate username/password.

5. I had a similar problem. In your settings you have to make sure you're accepting cookies.

KingSlayer likes this.
  6. opwog

opwog Advocate (580) Minnesota Jun 16, 2008

Needs places. Probably the most important part of being mobile is findning what is around you.

bryanole27 and dbrauneis like this.
  7. dbrauneis

I definitely agree - it needs places and to utilize the GPS function in the phone to be able to see places near me with their ratings in a list (sortable by rating and distance).

bryanole27 likes this.
  8. HisBoyElroy

HisBoyElroy Savant (295) Michigan Mar 4, 2013

Not bad for a very early beta. I'm running it on an Optimus Dynamic with Dolphin Browser. Looking forward to the full version.

9. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Forums appear to be read only? Will they be functional at some point? I might have missed something...still learning about iPad stuff after a year...

10. Todd

Correct. Both Forums and Conversations are currently read only. The ability to post/reply is in the works.

cosmicevan likes this.
  11. Two things I would like to see on both the mobile version/app and the regular site are the ability to log a "had" without necessarily having to give it a rating and the ability to leave a short comment by each beer. I've had new beers that I thought might have been off before and I would love to be able to give it an "N/A" for a rating and then put in the comments that it was a month past its best by date or might have been infected. I usually gives these beers another try before rating them so it would be nice to see them in my 'Beers' list and see that I need to try them again.

brewstervt and HisBoyElroy like this.
  12. LeRose

Cool. Overall the app looks and feels fine. Good work!

13. BTW: Absolutely LOVE that you can rate in 0.25 increments. Thank you guys for doing that.

14. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

I've been having a problem on my Droid Razr M in Firefox wherein a page will load below all the content. The page looks blank (I actually thought the page failed to load or something), but then if you scroll up the content is revealed

15. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (810) New York Dec 13, 2009

Wish it wasnt read only but convo and forum look very promising. I browse mostly with my phone these days and a user friendly mobile version is a big iso for me. Can trade beer, glass...corals?

16. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

I think I figured out what's happening here. If I scroll down a bit on the list of topics in one of the forums, then click on a thread, it's loading the page in the same "vertical location" I was at in the topics list. So, if I was scrolled down further in the topics list than there is content in the thread, the thread loads with the scroll bar below the content and so I just get a white screen. If it's somewhere in between, the thread loads somewhere in the middle of the content.

17. Progress...

Bugs:
    The login page Beer Advocate logo is a solid color background jpg but the background the top bar is a gradient.
    Speaking of, why does the mobile site use a variety of gradients while the main site is solid color?

There seems to be a bug on the Back button. If you continually press it eventually you get to the first page you visited but the background of the button stays blue in the active state. And since the browsers back button works now is the physical button necessary?

Not sure if just my device GS4, but in search I cannot get rid of the keyboard after typing in something. The normal OK checkmark on the keyboard does not clear the keyboard. This results in half the screen being taken up by the keyboard.

General Thoughts:
    The Nav still needs a lot of work. My opinion is that it should always be consistent so the user knows why to look there. On the beer pages, there is an extra button to write a review or the Recent in the forum page. Based on the previous pages, I was only looking at the nav for back and menu.

To me anyways, search is paramount to the site being functional. Being able to do that without the extra touches would be great.

The icons look pretty bad on high pixel density displays.

UI still needs work. Padding and alignment still pretty poor on the results and recent reviews page as well as a proper hierarchy of some page elements.

18. Todd

Test reply from my Samsung Galaxy S3. The ability to reply to forum posts is about to drop.

19. cosmicevan

fantastic. also, if possible for a quick sneak in functionality...the ability to mark a convo as unread in the mobile version would be great. the interface is nice, but i hesitate to check messages because i'll forget to reply back when in front of a computer.

MacQ32 likes this.
  20. metter98

metter98 Advocate (720) New York Aug 29, 2006

The interactive map of places with geolocation worked fine when it first came out and showed a map of places near me in New York City. However, I now when I go to it and hit the nearby button it shows a map of places in Portsmouth, NH, which is about 300 miles away from my current location. I got the same problem using Safari on my iPhone and iPad and using Chrome on my laptop.

21. abraxel

abraxel Savant (385) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

If you go to maps.google.com in your phone's/iPad's browser (not the Google Maps app), does it show you at the correct location? It sounds like this could be a problem with geolocation itself, which probably doesn't have anything to do with BeerAdvocate.

22. Just wondering, I know this is a beta test going on, but is there a possible release date for the mobile version/app?

23. metter98

metter98 Advocate (720) New York Aug 29, 2006

I didn't try that and only looked to see if geolocation was working in the Apple Maps app. Either way, I just checked the geolocation on the http://beeradvocate.com/m/nearby page and it started working for me again so whatever problem I was having yesterday went away.

24. dbrauneis

I tried it last night and it seemed to be working fine in Winston-Salem, NC. Glad to hear everything is back to functioning for you metter98.

25. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (545) New York Jun 11, 2007

Replying from an iPhone 4S on iOS 6.0. Two notes on potential bugs (or maybe it's just the design).

When I reply (love that this is now a feature!), I have to hit the back button twice to return to the forum I was browsing. Not a huge deal, just something that seems redundant.

And whenever I minimize the app, even just for a second, reopening it alway takes me to the title screen and then the opening "latest reviews" page (in contrast to most other apps opening back up exactly where I left off).

Don't mean to sound critical. I love the increasing functionality; just trying to help polish it up for an even better experience!

26. Saw the announcement about the reply feature now working. Cleared my cookies,cache and refreshed. Got the reply but and get the reply window/box but after I type a reply and hit post reply it does nothing. Tried a couple times but same results.
    Probably doesn't matter but I'm running a custom version of android 4.2.2 (cyanogenmod)

27. Lonelyshadow

Lonelyshadow Disciple (65) New York Apr 30, 2013

Loving the design so far. My only suggestion would be including the scores next to the beers when you perform a search for simple reference and also putting the scores next to the beers when you are browsing the style lists. Keep up the good work.

millionsuns and cosmicevan like this.
  28. cosmicevan

love this idea as this is one of the main reasons i go to the main site on my phone.

also, while you are at it, it would be great if there was a quick way to see your review when looking up a beer you reviewed (similar to clicking the "Had" link when on the non-mobile version).

and if you have more time before lunch, i'd also love to see a mark as unread option for convos and would be great to access threads you are watching and participating in (ala alerts).

29. This has probably been mentioned but I'd like to mention it again. I would love to see the "new" tags on posts I have not read yet or the highlighting of forum topics that contain these unread posts. This may be the only feature that keeps me away from the mobile site on my DriodX. Also the "Got To First Unread" button would also be nice.

30. So, I was going to read everything, but decided to just add my thoughts because a repeat of something already posted should just indicate popularity.

Pros: 1. Nice sleek design.
    2. Love the slider bar.
    3. Autocomplete works well and is a very nice feature.

Suggestions: 1. I wish I could click on the Bros review quantity from the beer's front page to go directly to their review.

2. Barcode scanner or image search. I've seen a wine app with a camera that let's you take a picture of the label to search for the beer. Either this or a barcode scanner search would be amazing, if a realistic possibility.

31. bcm75

bcm75 Advocate (575) Illinois Mar 23, 2013

I noticed that photos that are awaiting approval on the main site (and hence are not shown) DO appear in search results in the mobile app.

32. KVNBGRY

KVNBGRY Advocate (565) Florida Aug 1, 2012

Wanting to be apart of beta testing/wanting to give my customers an edge of learning the system. Any help would be appreciated.

Love,
    Aardwolf brewing Co.

33. seavercm

seavercm Savant (305) Georgia Feb 6, 2013

Just started using this today and think it's great so far. One suggestion - I'd like to be able to sort my 'hads' by date, brewery or alphabetically just like on the site. For some reason my beers are only sorted by brewery. Am I missing something?

34. marct

marct Savant (340) Nevada Dec 14, 2005

Not sure if I missed this as a known bug somewhere, but I've rated a handful of beers on the mobile site in the last day or so, and the ratings are listed on my "hads" list, but the # of hads isn't changing to reflect that. I know I'm at 608 on my total list of hads/reviews, but it's been stuck at 603 for at least a day now. The last five beers I rated haven't added anything to the total even though they're on the list and scores are there.

Apologies if this is known and I missed it. I tried to confirm before posting.

35. LeRose

Evolving nicely, I think. Pretty easy navigation. It is a little slow on OS 6. I assume there is more to come. Ability to like a post would be nice. But this is pretty sweet! Visual is great on the iPad. Easy reading!

Oh...and quoting.

36. Noticed a bug on ios7 with respect to multitasking. If I double tap the home bottom to switch to another app, say Safari, and then I switch back to BA it reloads and I end up on the home page instead of where I initially left it.

The BA app appears to shut down instead of staying open in the background.

37. Love the app, but did have one suggestion. Anyway we could make the images in clickable/expandable? it's a little hard to see a good shot on a small screen.

38. I think a news section would be cool, like stories about craft beer, it's growth, Beer Advocate, legal issues for brewers, etc. also perhaps something for the home brewer crowd?

39. FishAndBeer

FishAndBeer Savant (280) Wisconsin Mar 11, 2011

Love the app.. Like others said, liking posts, quoting people and veiwing member profiles would be a nice add on

40. T-RO

T-RO Savant (310) New Hampshire Nov 9, 2012

When using the app on my tablet each time I go to a previously visited thread I have to go back to the first mesaage instead of where I left off.i dont think this os the case on my pc
    thanks