1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BeerAdvocate mobile beta: Testers Wanted

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Mar 15, 2013.

1. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

Tried using it. Loaded very slow, when finally got it to work couldnt post a review and couldnt figure out if my instant rating actually took.

Looks promising though. Love the look and feel of it. Also like that you can rate on a .25 scale.
  2. I installed on my iPhone 4S. I like it. Simple, utilitarian, and it works.
  3. It Works Great on my Samsung Galaxy S4 On Verizon wireless Network
  4. Works great on my Galaxy Note 3.

Two concerns: When viewing Beers by styles, it automatically generates a list of beers within that style in order of rating. However, no rating is visible, and the number of reviews is also not visible. 1) The rating (rAvg) and number of reviews should be clearly denoted on this page, perhaps next to the ABV; and 2) you should have the option to sort the list by rAvg or most reviewed... or restrict the list to beers that have at least a certain number of reviews. This is a functionality that I greatly appreciate on the desktop website...
  5. Additionally, I would like to be able to sort my own beers (beers I've rated) based on rAvg or by date of review, rather than just have it listed by brewery. I do really like being able to view it based on brewery, though. That is very nice.

I apologize if I am reposting concerns that have already been brought up.
  6. On another note, the ability to quickly mark a beer as Want or Got is very nice. This is especially helpful when I am in my own profile, looking at what beers I have or would like to try.

I will definitely use this to keep track of my stash.

If possible, I would like the ability to mark Got next to a beer, and include a note about the beer within my own profile (I'm thinking things like vintage or location in my stash would go here).
  7. Ssstraub

Ssstraub Disciple (50) Wisconsin Oct 7, 2011

This is a major downside to the "web app" route (just a web page without the browser UI) vs a real native app.
  8. 888

888 Zealot (95) Wisconsin Apr 5, 2013

Love this on my S4. Works great. Thanks
  9. dajerzy52

dajerzy52 Zealot (85) Florida Mar 18, 2008

A barcode scanner in the app that brings up reviews for the beer scanned would be epic.
    Dontcounttoday likes this.
  10. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

We agree. As posted in other threads, it's in the works.
  11. cdmillard

cdmillard Savant (410) Maryland Feb 17, 2013

Just installed it on my 4S. Love it! It'll be great as in the store checking out new beers. The interface is simple, and effective.
  12. aquazr1

aquazr1 Savant (385) California Jul 27, 2013

This afternoon and evening the search was not working on my phone. It just sits there and spins. I had the issue both on 4G and wireless using an iPhone 4S.
  13. I am having this exact same issue, and it's still continuing into today. I tried both Safari and Google Chrome on iOS with the same results.
  14. RedRabbit

RedRabbit Disciple (60) Illinois Jul 15, 2013

After the mobile version of your website is released, do not limit users to the "Mobile only" version.
    Let your users decide what style they would rather use; because personally in today's age of mobile phones I prefer full websites its always a better end experience. You have more options overall... you can zoom to read text while sitting at a bar without burying your face into the phone, swap between landscape / horizontal. But the biggest point of them all being the simple fact that our phones are powerful enough to display these full webpages with no lag. Coupled with the fact that on the crossover between default to mobile; you more often then not lose features / have display issues with types of resolutions and what not. While it is always good to have the extended media market that mobile apps provide. I will say again, don't limit your users to the "Mobile only" version while lurking from a smartphone.
  15. Todd

You misread or I wasn't clear enough. We won't be forcing mobile users to use only the web app, but rather limiting access to the web app if the origin is a desktop browser.
  16. Greels

Greels Savant (250) Oregon May 6, 2013

Same issue here. Before this occurred though, I have nothing but great things to say about it. Really looking forward to the barcode scanner
  17. The search continually says "Loading More" with no results. Otherwise, off to a good start!
  18. I don't have the time to read through this whole thread but I wanted to leave my feedback as I have been using the app for about a week now. I apologize if some of my comments have already been made:

1. I don't like how my list of ratings/reviews defaults to alphabetical by brewery with no other sorting option available. My preference would be to have them defaulted to being sorted by most recently reviewed with other options to sort by my rating or alphabetically.

2. I would love to be able to see my place ratings. Currently I can see the number of places I have reviewed but not the ratings themselves.

3. When I click on a conversation in my inbox, it shows the oldest message at the top and the newest at the bottom, so I have to scroll all the way down to see the other person's latest reply. I would like to see that flipped.

Overall I really like the app so far... it has been a big help on a few occasions already!
  19. 888

888 Zealot (95) Wisconsin Apr 5, 2013

When connected to wifi or 4g, gps on, the near by search doesn't work.
  20. aquazr1

aquazr1 Savant (385) California Jul 27, 2013

The search was working tonight.
  21. The search option appears to be available again.
  22. roadhouse

roadhouse Savant (440) Florida Nov 4, 2007

I think it would be better if the default thing to load is the Search rather than Recent Reviews, or just add it on the top
    Greels likes this.
  23. Put a bar code reader in it so we can scan and score.
    dschriver, TofuDC5 and Davelicious like this.
  24. Nice work so far guys. One suggestion would be a built in bar code scanner that would allow scanning a beer in the store and going right to the review section for that beer.

Wow...just realized that's 2 posts in a row asking for the same things, lol.
  25. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Good step.... can't wait for an app version someday... that will rule.
  26. bbkd3b

bbkd3b Savant (250) California Apr 29, 2009

Went through it today using my 4S - worked very efficiently and didn't run into any bugs. My main request would be to make the calender easier to navigate. Unless I missed something, I could only view events by page instead of selecting a range of dates or specify locations. It'd be very cool to be able to look up when events in a specific area are taking place should one be planning a trip out of town. Beyond that, no complaints thus far.
  27. N3rdM3t4l

N3rdM3t4l Aficionado (160) Oregon Feb 3, 2012

Trick for turning the mobile beta into a pseudo-app for easy one touch homescreen Beer Advocacy. I don't know if I am reposting this info or not but I am sure it bears repeating.

Step1: go to website www.beeradvocate.com/m
    Step2: save as a bookmark
    Step3: enter bookmarks and hold the newly created beeradvocate mobile save until a list pops up
    Step4: click on "add shortcut to homescreen"
    Step5: enjoy having BA's new mobile beta as a one touch link on your homescreen.

Not sure about iphone users but this works for Android phones.
  28. zrbeer1579

zrbeer1579 Savant (335) Illinois Dec 3, 2012

Thanks, the pseudo-app works. And I'm using Android.

I agree with a lot of the ideas mentions.
  29. MandaMichelle

MandaMichelle Disciple (70) Arizona Aug 13, 2013

This is a fantastic idea! On the go beer reviews.
  30. Greels

Yes, this works for iPhones as well. And it is a great shortcut.
  31. Greels

+1

Not a huge hassle, but it would eliminate 2 clicks every time I open it. I'm not so sure people care what the most recently reviewed beer is. I know I never pay attention to it. Still loving it overall though!
  32. Use the same shortcut trick on your home screen, but save a shortcut to the search page instead. Problem solved. Cheers!
    Greels likes this.
  33. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Savant (375) Illinois Nov 21, 2013

iOS user.

First impressions/opinions/feedback:

1) First off, this is way better than the webpage bookmark I had been using!
    2) search should maybe just be a button in the bar at the top instead of having to access through menu.
    3) would be nice if current aggregate review score appeared in the lists (like ABV and style).
    4) would be even nicer if I could filter sort lists by rating - handy when at a beerstore and you want to try something new.
  34. It would be nice if the forum threads were listed in reverse order. It's annoying if I'm following a multi-page thread to scroll through 8 pages to get to the most recent comment, and every time I exit and come back I have to do it again. Would like to see the most recent comment at the top.
  35. Finally "installed" this and navigated around for a bit. This is definitely more user friendly when you are standing in the beer store or sitting at the bar. Here are my observations/suggestions in order of priority, some of which have been previously suggested:

1.) I would like to be able to see the rAvg score in BOTH the search results as well as under a brewery's list of active beers.

2.) There is no way to navigate to "The Bros" review(s). This should be one touch (click) away from any beer page like the standard version of the site.

3.) A fixed search window in the blank space in the header would be very useful.

4.) Access to a list of recently reviewed/rated beers.

5.) I love the near by places and all the future possibilities of this feature!
  36. One more thing: when I click on a beer that I have reviewed I can see my rating but there doesn't seem to be a way to quickly access my review without scrolling through all of the reviews until mine shows up. It would be nice to have a quick way to access my review on any specific beer.
  37. It would be helpful to know if a thread includes a poll since those don't show up at all and there's no indication. If you can't make the poll interactive on mobile, a read only version so you can see the question and answers would be nice, just for a frame of reference for the thread.
  38. I have another comment:

The search function is not very good (for finding a beer). This is also an issue with the main web site, but on the main web site, it isn't as critical if I have to take a few clicks to get to the beer I want, whereas on the app, I want to be able to find a beer quickly.

Here is my specific example:

I am looking for Allagash Four, so I type "Allagash Four"
    The results that come up are all various Allagash beers, which do not include Four. I scrolled through the entire list which seems to stop at 25 results and once I get to the end, there doesn't seem to be a way to find other results, so I ended up not even finding the beer I was looking for.

I think this is a critical feature for the app, given that people will be wanting to quickly look up and/or review beers using the app.
    waddellc2 and UncleJimbo like this.
  39. MikeSwiz

MikeSwiz Initiate (15) Maryland Dec 21, 2013

What are the chances the API that drives this will become public (or at least parts of it)? I'm a programming (and beer lover) and I'm with TheSevenDuffs, I use BA mostly when I'm in the store to see if something is rated decently before I purchase. Having to complete multiple steps to see a rating and number of reviews defeats that purpose.

If you made the API public (even read only) I'd probably make an app to just just that.
    arguello likes this.
  40. Todd

No plans at the moment. And you'll eventually (sooner rather than later) be able to scan UPC bar codes via BA mobile and pull up beer info and ratings. We'll be improving searching across the board too.
    dschriver likes this.