1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BeerAdvocate mobile beta: Testers Wanted

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Mar 15, 2013.

1. EnemyAnemone

EnemyAnemone Disciple (70) Maine Aug 10, 2013

Is there any way to link directly to the beer search results for specific keywords?

In other words, is there a mobile site equivalent of this page:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/search/?q=allagash&qt=beer

We added Beer Advocate links to our iPhone app ( http://www.theuprisingapp.com ) for all the beers we were able to find Beer Advocate IDs for, but for beers we can't get IDs for we had to link to the non-mobile search results page, which is a lot harder to use on an iPhone.

Thanks!
  2. Patran1834

Patran1834 Initiate (15) Mar 31, 2014

I am not too sure what this would involve, but the ability to scan a bar code on a bottle to pull up the review would be awesome, especially while standing in the beer aisle trying to decide on a beer. Great to see everything done so far!
    Erik-P likes this.
  3. BPHusker

BPHusker Aspirant (25) Nebraska Apr 16, 2014

Any plans to add Tapatalk support?
    nolanz14 likes this.
  4. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Nope. No plans.
  5. thefaj

thefaj Disciple (50) California Mar 14, 2010

Yeah, no…this isn't an app. It's just a website that looks different.
    Maybe you should actually make an app.
  6. Todd

It's actually a web app, so it's technically an app. And many popular apps are actually web apps too, but with a native wrapper.

Anyway, this has all been covered already in this thread.
  7. MickieDee

MickieDee Disciple (70) Washington Mar 17, 2012

Any idea when the final product will come out?
  8. joesteinkamp

joesteinkamp Zealot (90) Illinois Feb 2, 2013

Can you support pinning to homescreen on Android (meaning the BA icon and opens in a web app wrapper instead of Chrome)?

Android updated their meta tags so they no longer rely on Apple's (they're just slightly different - see below).

<meta name="mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes">

<link rel="icon" sizes="196x196" href="nice-highres.png">

Reference: https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice/android/installtohomescreen
  9. il_pescatore

il_pescatore Initiate (5) May 4, 2014

Love that you have a mobile version of your site, but folks, a mobile app that does not make. Would love to see native iPhone and Android apps, as that really is necessary if you want your product to get more traction. Sorry, but web application via browser doesn't cut it in this day and age.
  10. Todd

As mentioned several times already, this is a beta product for testing. The final will have a native wrapper and be available in app stores. (Many popular apps are also wrapped web apps.)
  11. Todd

We hope to share more about this very soon.
  12. Greels

Greels Savant (250) Oregon May 6, 2013

Did you read ANYTHING before you wrote that? Like, maybe the post 3 above yours??

This app is awesome and only getting better. You should be thanking them. If not, go use Untappd.
  13. Greels

Greels Savant (250) Oregon May 6, 2013

Really picky suggestion, but probably easy to do...

When the search button is clicked, it would be nice if it automatically brought up the keyboard and the cursor in the search bar rather than having to click on it. We obviously are going to have to type something anyway.

P.S. - sorry for above post. Little out of line. Slightly intoxicated at the time.
  14. RockinRich

RockinRich Zealot (75) Florida Aug 25, 2013

Here's my suggestion for your app: add a scanning feature that allows you to scan the upc code or recognize a label or can and then takes you to the BA listing.
    BlumBeer and ToriBug13 like this.
  15. Todd

It's been mentioned before, but it's already in the works and will appear in a future update.
  16. RockinRich

RockinRich Zealot (75) Florida Aug 25, 2013

That would be excellent. Thanks, Todd!
  17. Biggest issue I have is I constantly get asked to log back in after I've already logged in numerous times in the same session. I have to refresh 3-6x before it lets me browse.
  18. I think this looks good and is ready for the mainstream. I'm sure this has been said before, but once this becomes a native app, it would be nice if the Android menu button activated the menu that currently exists in the top left. That is my only complaint about how this works, and I'm sure that will be a non-issue once this becomes a native app.
  19. Choppr

Choppr Aficionado (170) New Jersey Mar 29, 2007

I have only used the app to do a quick look-up while in store to get a gauge of the quality of the proposed purchase. In this capacity, I have been very successful in using the app and as long as I have a signal, it has worked very well.
  20. This is not an app, but a mobile friendly web page with ads. Just to clarify.
  21. I just added this to my home screen on Windows Phone 8.1 (Lumia 928) and so far so good. I'll let you know how it goes. Nice work!

To clarify @batsnapper. There are two types of apps, native and web. Both are legitimate "apps" and there are reasons to chhose one type over the other. The BA app works fine for me as is
  22. Todd

What @uslackr said. This is a web app, which is an app. This is not a mobile friendly web page. And when it's launched it'll have a native wrapper for iPhone, Android, and Windows.

Anyone use Untappd? That's a web app too, which is an app.
    DrinkAnchorSteam and Hdredfern like this.
  23. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Savant (395) Texas Feb 16, 2012

This isn't an app, oh wait @Todd has covered that a couple of times, nevermind

Anyways, working great on my Galaxy S5, thanks!!
  24. Janetwillson

Janetwillson Zealot (80) Alabama May 28, 2014

This is the nice information for the mobile app. Thanks.
  25. Todd

This thread has served us well since March 14, 2013, but it's time to lock it down and thank all of you for your constructive feedback and testing out the beta.

We are very close to launching the app for iOS, Android, and Windows. Look for an update within the next week, and we'll be looking for your valuable feedback again too.

Cheers!
    TheSamKuehn, RockinRich and Hdredfern like this.