1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

BeerAdvocate Mobile Kickstarter Project

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by BeerAdvocate, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerAdvocate

BeerAdvocate BA Founders

Greetings!

The following is our Beer Smack from BeerAdvocate magazine issue #63, shipping now. It announces our goal to create mobile versions of both BeerAdvocate.com and BA mag; including native app development.

There's been a lot of talk about this happening for years now. We realize that talk is cheap, but projects like this aren't, so we've decided to do something about it by empowering those who want it.

Here's the smack ...
    Please note that our Kickstarter project will be published on (or before) May 1, 2012, at which time you'll be able to checkout all of the details, pledge level rewards and make a pledge. We'll make an announcement once it's active.

Yes friends, with your help, and come hell or high water, we aim to finally make this a reality.

Cheers!
    ILikeGoodCider, BritCvS and csniezek like this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

When you say mobile version of BA.com, do you just mean make the site mobile friendly or you are making an actual app for iPhone/Android?
  3. Todd

Todd BA Founder Staff Member

I updated the text. Mobile versions would include the development of native apps vs. just developing something that is mobile friendly.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

If I can scan a beer barcode and be taken to the BA profile of said beer within the app...I'd glady donate towards the cause.
  5. Todd

Though there are other apps that already do this, it's something we'd love to look at incorporating into ours.
  6. afrokaze

afrokaze Member

Now to wait for that KS page to go up... I'm excited to "invest" in BA.
  7. emannths

emannths Member

I take it the hiring plans announced in 2011 are on hold? What changed?
  8. Todd

Basically, the recent site issues and subsequent changes/upgrades just put a delay on hiring, compounded by other projects that need our attention. But hiring people is going to happen. It has to, as I really need to stop being the only person doing all of the tech work.
    BritCvS and Duff27 like this.
  9. emannths

emannths Member

Good luck when the time comes. I'm sure you'll appreciate any additional help you can get, and hopefully we'll see some progress towards the bigger goals you had in mind for the site.
  10. Retsinis

Retsinis Member

Great to see this drive happening, and I'm confident many will pledge, myself included. Not sure if you will include this, but perhaps have goals displayed here, or a progress meter/bar in mind, i.e. raise $2K by the end of May (or $10K, whatever, not sure of the goal) this helps those on fence know that milestones are being reached, or close to being reached, and that what they are pledging for, will be that much closer to a reality with their support at that moment, and then continue that each month with another set goal, that way hopefully pledges are continual until these things launch. Strike while the irons hot basically, otherwise these things can teter off after launch. Anyhow.

Good luck, mobile app & digital mag here we come! :)
    BritCvS likes this.
  11. Jwale73

Jwale73 Member

I'm a huge fan of Kickstarter. Please announce when it goes live.
  12. jacksback

jacksback Member

So instead of prioritizing hiring people that could help with projects like this and make things easier... you're going to postpone that in favor of adding on a new project to take on solo?

o_O
  13. Todd

You assume too much, and I didn't say that.
  14. drabmuh

drabmuh Member

I donated years ago when you had the "Donate" page for the server upgrade, this was a long time ago. I'd consider doing it again depending on the features and functionality of the app. A barcode scanner really is a must for on the go functionality. You could also just charge a few dollars for the app and generate money that way. I'd definitely be willing to pay a one time fee to download a good, functional app that made interfacing with BA easy.
    LSUPT and Duff27 like this.
  15. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Member

consider me in. For the beer community, the work you 2 have done and people on this site have influenced me greatly in a positive way. Will never take it for granted.
    GabbyTapped and beerdweeb like this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

I assumed since the community would be paying for the app it would be free for all....

But you know what happens when you assume....
    AleWatcher likes this.
  17. Todd

In this case, it looks like your assumption is correct. Currently, the core app would be free (like the site) and we plan on rewarding people with other things based on their pledge level.
  18. Hanzo

Hanzo Member

Excellent!
  19. meanmutt

meanmutt Member

If I hit the Mega Millions tonight, I'll send you guys enough to cover the whole project, and buy you each a beer or two. If I don't hit the Mega Millions, I'll still chip in. ;)
    Bluecane, djbreezy, Paul68 and 4 others like this.
  20. whoisegon

whoisegon Member

I have no interest in a Digital BA Mag and would like to see different projects or rewards on KickStarter to see how much interest is in it.

Also, would like more info about what it the mobile version will be and what updates would be done once live. There are plenty of apps and websites that provide really great user experiences but do not have the vast community BA has. Hopefully the KickStarter page will have more info on why I should donate not just that there is a big community.
    OutdoorMiner likes this.
  21. Todd

That's the plan, like I posted. More info + rewards/incentives.
  22. admiralcrunch

admiralcrunch Member

I'd pitch in for an Android version.
    cosmicevan and mjtiernan like this.
  23. Grohnke

Grohnke Member

Youve been giving us free access to one of the greatest sites and communities. the least I could do is help with this cause
  24. BrittEBurke

BrittEBurke BA Fest Captain

I think it's an awesome idea. I second meanmutt. If I win the lottery tonight, I'll happily fund the whole thing (provided the brewery I open with my winnings always has a beer in the top 100 :))
  25. Paul68

Paul68 Member

I subscribe to the mag, have donated in the past, purchased items from the store, been to EBF. I use this website everyday. If it's something i enjoy and i'm passionate about, i will fully support it as much as i can.
    Can't wait to see the pledge levels. I will go for whatever has the app, and digital mag whatever the price. :D
  26. drabmuh

drabmuh Member

Is there going to be a thread discussing what features the community would like on a BA app? I think there was one a year ago when this talk all first started but maybe a new thread on this new site would serve a helpful purpose for when the development starts.
    AleWatcher likes this.
  27. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Member

Curious about the pledge levels, I will definitely donate a mobile app on android would be a godsend.
  28. Cinderbike

Cinderbike Member

It would be cool if one of the rewards was a BA beer (like Bottleworks or one one-offs made for certain events).

No matter what I'll throw a few $ at something like this.
    suspect likes this.
  29. nightwing002

nightwing002 Member

can't wait to see what info the kickstarter page will have...
  30. Miltown04

Miltown04 Member

Good to know. I'll be happy to spare what $ I can. I love this site (and you bros) very, very much. Thank you!
    P.S. Barcode scanner is a must-have I think...
  31. Sam21

Sam21 Member

I'm in to throw money at this project.
  32. djbreezy

djbreezy Member

Awesome, I'll gladly throw some cash your way once the page goes live.
  33. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Member

To further drabmuh's question--

Is the app going to get user-input regarding functionality, content, and tools?
    I mean, is there going to be open discussion about what WE, the users, expect to see in the app or is it just going to be "this is how we are doing it and that's final!"?

The phrase "no taxation without representation" sticks in my mind... Will the people that donate be represented for their 'taxes?'
  34. Todd

We already have a very good understanding of what we need to include, we've collected a ton of great user-based suggestions during several rounds of feedback over the past year or so and of course we'll make adjustments based on feedback as the project evolves. I think we'll be okay.
  35. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Member

i'm DEFINITELY down to kick in for this project (assuming android is just as high a priority as apple stuff). as far as great forums with intense volumes and a pretty nice and user friendly app (although truth be told, since finding BA i rarely go there anymore), check out talkbass.com. that site has been up and running for years (i've been a member for almost 10 years) and the volume and traffic is pretty intense. their mobile app is pretty nice and gets the job done.

one question/concern - if i donate obviously i realize that doesn't give me a free pass to be a total d*ck on the site, but i know every now and then folks get time outs or bans for some bad behavior and i'd hate to kick in on this project and then have a bad night of drunk posting/fighting/regret and get the ol' ban or timeout and then just lose out. perhaps a nice incentive to raise donations could be either a get out of jail/ban free pass or even the opportunity to get a data dump of your reviews or contributions to the site? i've spent some time backing up some of my reviews, but have hardly made a dent in the 878 reviews (as of posting this comment) i have on this site. i'd hate to have a bad night or even a server crash and burn ruin all that effort. i'd definitely be down to pay for a data dump of my review scores and commentary in whatever format is easiest for you guys. maybe this can be a premium feature available to members that contribute a certain amount? talkbass.com (the site i mentioned) has supporting membership that gives access to their classifieds section and a few other forums and it seems to drum up plenty of business. i've gotten a supporting membership for at least 6 or 7 of the years i was a member of that community. alternatively, i'd DEFINITELY be down to purchase some overpriced BA branded glassware if that helped in any of this. just my $0.02...and as the saying goes, feel free to take a penny or two if you dig these ideas. if not, no worries, cheers to the new forums, love them!
  36. lvoutlawjlh

lvoutlawjlh Member

Will you be accepting PayPal to pledge our donations?
  37. ThePorterSorter

ThePorterSorter Member

I'd donate, but I want to know if it's a pat on the back or if there is a donation tier system with rewards given based on amount...
    I don't mind completely intangible rewards (like the get out of jail ban idea), but would prefer something for any type of dough fronting.
    Unless this will be a tax deductible donation.
  38. Todd

Like we posted, more info to follow. In the meantime, you should checkout the Kickstarter website for examples and more info on how pledges work.
  39. Todd

Pledging will not give you a license to be an ass on the site. Solution: Don't be an ass. ;)

That said, it really does take a lot to get permanently kicked from the site and multiple warnings are generally issued before doing so. I wouldn't worry about it.
  40. Roleketu

Roleketu Member

Kickstarter has been my new favorite site. I've helped fund several projects already. BA will definitely get funding from me. Looking forward for another good app for my iPhone.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.