1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BeerAdvocate Mobile Kickstarter Project

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by BeerAdvocate, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Native GPS in app to search nearby stores and bars. Please and thank you, and I promise to donate.
  2. I thought having the ads now were for things like a beer app and new features and stuff? I'm not sure of Ratebeer situation, but their app has a scanner and works great and best of all free. Wish you guys could catch up as well.
    HapWifeHapLife and AleWatcher like this.
  3. SpencerMize

SpencerMize Aspirant (30) Indiana Apr 9, 2012

I'd love to help develop this! I work for cases of good beer--no need to pay hefty developer fees!
  4. Jstokey

Jstokey Disciple (60) Colorado Nov 7, 2009

I am ready to give!!!
  5. I am behind it 100%.
  6. beernut

beernut Savant (330) New Jersey Jun 6, 2008

Actually a good idea. With so many members, maybe everyone can donate $1.00. But will there be a set goal on how much money will be raised? Forgive me for saying, but if there is 100,000 plus members no way in hell will it cost that much. I'de rather have a mobile app than the digital magazine. Just make sure both iPhone & Droid can get it.
  7. kozaka

kozaka Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 25, 2006

Make this site require an annual subscription fee. Almost 300k members now, select a price point that will eliminate the riff raff ($10? $20?) and satisfy the devotees. That revenue should finance any project and pay the Bros a nice salary for all their hard work.
    djbreezy likes this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I dislike this idea very much.
  9. Does "vs." mean "instead of" or "in addition to"? Very interested in mobile-friendly non-app.
  10. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

We'll see what we can do.
  11. Sweet! About the only prob I have is that forums don't resize and wordwrap, so to be able to read I have to zoom in and then pan back and forth. Other than that annoyance (which is a major PITA), the site otherwise works fine on BB browser.

Maybe as simple as some code that says if mobile device, omit avatar & don't enforce width or else make the default font huge. Maybe even can be done with same content but different style sheets per user agent?

Planning on donating no matter what, BA is a living community. I'm not a fan of pay-walls, but like to hit the chip in button, esp. when it rolls out new features for everybody.
  12. Lukafer

Lukafer Savant (350) Michigan Dec 18, 2009

Although I don't use the new forums nearly as much as I use to, I'll definitely kick in some cash to help with the new endeavours. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with. Thanks a ton for all you do for the beer community!
  13. motorhed

motorhed Savant (300) Minnesota Oct 27, 2008

Def. looking forward to this, been watching the forums on the mobile app topic for what seems like ages. I'll contribute to help make it happen. I know we shouldn't mention the competition but they have a native Android app, i'm sure you can do better. =)
  14. abraxel

abraxel Savant (375) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

That can be fixed by using another browser. I use Opera Mobile, which is a great browser and can automatically wrap text to fit the width of the screen. BA is quite mobile-friendly to me -- perhaps the only (slight) annoyance is that when I zoom in to read posts, the avatars are off the screen to the left so it can be tough to keep track of who's talking. That's barely a complaint, though, since the username is listed below each post.

Edit: Oh, and I will most definitely pitch in to the Kickstarter. I'd love to be able to search for nearby stores/bars based on BA ratings, and a barcode scanner, and forum notifications without bothering with email... but I'm sure you know all this already :)
  15. gymst20

gymst20 Aficionado (140) Florida Nov 12, 2005

This founding subscriber is more than happy to pitch in and help the effort. I owe my initial and continued interest in quality beer to BA. If it weren't for my discovery of the site back in '05 I would still be clueless, drinking bud light and therefore, (let's be honest) not as attractive to the fellas. ;) You can count on me to pitch in financially and also spread the word to other BA's!
  16. djbreezy

djbreezy Advocate (510) Washington Dec 16, 2008

Super excited for May 1. I don't see this having any trouble reaching funding.
  17. Pattelbert

Pattelbert Zealot (85) Virginia Feb 22, 2009

I don't use one of those new fangled smart phones but would chip in for something that'd work on my Kindle Fire. Always nice to browse for beer from a local wifi hotspot!
  18. Holland

Holland Savant (475) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

Can I use the app on multiple devices? I have an Android phone and an iPad - will I need to pay for 2 apps (assuming it's pay to play), or can we pay by our user name?
  19. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

now as an ipad user, would love something that gave me the WYSIWYG editor functionality.
  20. I'm. I have no problem donating money for a BA kickstarter project
  21. Paul68

Paul68 Savant (405) New Jersey Dec 13, 2006

Todd or Jason,

Is the announcement still on schedule for around the First of May?
    No rush, but just wondering how that's going.
  22. Todd

Yes. We're aiming to post all of the initial info and get it in the Kickstarter approval queue on May 1. From there we'll work on updates and FAQs as needed.
    Paul68 likes this.
  23. I know when you had initially (long time ago) announced the app plans, you said you were going to go of course with iPhone/Android. Blackberry was in a distant 3rd. Since then, I believe Blackberry's share has plummeted as far as phones and marketplaces are concerned. Would Blackberry still be in contention? What about the Windows Phone Marketplace? Would Windows be the next venture for the app, possibly, if Blackberry is now no longer a worthwhile venture? Basically, I'm just curious if my donation will end up yielding something that I could use, because if the buck stops at iPhone/Android, It might not make sense to put forth a sizable contribution...

Think about it... I mean, Nokia and Windows just came forth and confessed that all other smartphones were merely beta testers. ;)
  24. Todd

Highly doubtful. Combined, both represent just over 1% of our monthly use; declining every month.
  25. Bummer. Thanks for the reply though! Cheers
  26. Todd

Update: After some discussion this week, we've opted to postpone the Kickstarter project until after American Craft Beer Fest and our trip to Washington, DC / SAVOR. Why? We feel it's important to take some more time to ensure that the message and rewards are solid, continue to research the build-out and related costs, and follow-up with interested parties. We can't do any of this if we're focusing on hosting a major fest and then travelling immediately after. And we want to do this right.

Rest assured, we'll continue to work on it until then and launch it this summer.

Until then, please continue to tell us what features you'd like to see:

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/beeradvocate-app-what-features-would-you-like-see.14245/

Cheers!