1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BeerAdvocate Search now uses Google CSE

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Todd, Jul 15, 2013.

1. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

This encapsulates my experiences as well. All of the search failures I've run into involved issues with diacriticals, special characters, apostrophes, and common words, but the hybrid Google failsafe made sure that whatever failures occurred at least had something show up.

This new search is incredibly unappealing aesthetically (in that it doesn't seem to mesh with the rest of the site and appears as a brick wall of text/thumbnails), and the back-end filtering makes searches take longer (and I will acknowledge here both that this is my experience only and the extra time isn't all that significant, just a nuisance).

Michigan, tectactoe and Sludgeman like this.
  2. michael_king

michael_king Disciple (60) Virginia Dec 18, 2012

Loved how you could type in a brewery and a user-friendly list of all of their beers popped up, both active and retired.

beertunes likes this.
  3. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

Funny enough, I searched for McGee's in Chicago: Since it wasn't the top result, I went to the Places filter; out of the four results, none of them were what I was looking for. For the sake of it, I went back to All, and there it was, the place I was looking for a few results in. Does this make sense to anyone? 'Cause it's just weird to me, especially when it came up just fine in the old search when filtering for Places...

4. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

I could offer my constructive criticism, but it would basically be a carbon copy of this post. I really just don't see how this change is taking things in a positive direction.

duceswild likes this.
  5. Once you were in a thread and went to the search bar there was a box you could check that said "search this thread only". This is also a feature I miss, especially when trying to figure out hints in a BIF.

I also miss that the search was tailored to the part of the site you're in (e.g., when in the Beer tab your search only looks at beers; the Forum tab only looks at threads). Now if you want to search the forums, you have to go to the advanced search option and it's just as many steps/clicks as it was using the old way.

There will probably never be a search function that everyone likes, but I appreciate that the admins are trying...

6. DanimalFL

DanimalFL Aficionado (215) Florida Mar 15, 2012

I liked the old search. I stopped even trying to use the new search.

7. mooseo

mooseo Savant (310) Pennsylvania Aug 11, 2008

It's not that bad. Aesthetic wise it's not as appealing but I'm finding it easier to find the beer I want in one try (even with spelling mistakes).

8. pkalix

pkalix Savant (360) California Oct 27, 2007

"You'll need to enable JavaScript or unblock 'Google AJAX Search API."
    i'm an idiot. how do I enable java script? I just looked through my internet options and see what I thought I should see......

9. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Gosh, I really want the old search back. This new addition is cumbersome and, in my opinion, makes it even harder to find the beer I'm looking for.

beertunes and tinypyramids like this.
  10. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

Can we please change back now? If I want to type in a word to see the threads that have that word in the title, the results that come up first are typically old, from January or February, and I can't search 1 forum by itself.

The old search system was great! Please change back!

beertunes likes this.
  11. each seems to have strengths and weaknesses. is it really that difficult to at least give people the OPTION to use the old search function?

12. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

We discussed the feedback as a team this morning and decided to roll back searching across the site.
    • Default searching for Beers, Places, Events and Forum is back.
    • Failed searches call Google CSE.
    • Search now defaults to Beers, Places, Events or Forum based on your position on the site.
    • Added Forum toggle to non-Forum search bar. Queries redirect to Forum search.
    • Forum search does not include toggles for Beers, Places and Events. This is a known limitation. We're exploring temporary solutions.
    Thanks to everyone who provided their feedback. It was very useful and will help us in creating a new BeerAdvocate search during the site redesign.

Cheers!

Snowrs, Sludgeman, Hindsight and 9 others like this.