1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

BeerAdvocate Top 10 Beers (10 Years Ago)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pheurton, Mar 22, 2013.

1. pheurton

pheurton Savant (335) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2001

In order, 1-10 (Spring 2003):
    1. Storm King Stout
    2. Westvleteren Abt 12 (yellow Cap)
    3. Celebrator Doppelbock
    4. Two Hearted Ale
    5. Stone Imperial Stout
    6. Shakespeare Stout
    7. Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout
    8. HopDevil Ale
    9. Trappistes Rochefort 10
    10. Double Bastard Ale
    Seems very quaint by today's standards and the scramble for each brewery trying to out-big beer the next guy. Sam Smith's Imperial Stout could pass for a robust porter these days. Things have certainly changed...except Westy 12 is still hanging around.
    scubahood, SolarMikey, NWer and 14 others like this.
  2. And imagine what it will look like in another 10 years.
    kneary13, pixieskid, JohnnyMc and 3 others like this.
  3. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (350) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

In 10 years the "top" list will actually be changing in real time. You can't win trades unless you have up to the minute information.
  4. The only real change change with Two Hearted was increased distribution. If Zombie Dust distribution was increased to the point where it matched Two Hearted the same thing would happen.
  5. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (460) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

So if my 2 favorite standard ipa's, favorite Dopplebock, and favorite quad are on that list, am I behind the times, or cool in a retro way?
    j47paco, MtnBiker, suspect and 20 others like this.
  6. Was easier to know what was up back then without so much of the whale hunting & BS.
  7. I second this. Looks better 10 years ago. Have Hopheads been multiplying?
    Premo88 and Cee-Poe like this.
  8. BeRanger

BeRanger Savant (465) Michigan Dec 11, 2011

Kzoobrew toasts the Two Hearted.
    Bitter_Echo and Rollzroyce21 like this.
  9. Shmuffalo

Shmuffalo Savant (260) Pennsylvania Feb 26, 2012

Very cool! Is there any way to see other dates?
  10. Except that Two Hearted is nowhere near as good as Zombie Dust.
  11. Exactly the same: (R)ISs, (D)IPAs, and Quads. Maybe a sour.
    dar482 likes this.
  12. Boy Victory really went to shit, didn't they;)!

It's a joke people
    HeyJim likes this.
  13. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Not that I'm aware of, mainly because the site is blocked from being crawled/indexed by Archive.org. FWIW, Ratebeer's list was almost identical back in the day (2007 seemed to be the point where they started diverging), so you can check this page to look back in time at their list: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://ratebeer.com

Click any place on the time line graph across the top to jump to a year, and then click one of the blue bubbles on the calendar to see the snapshot. Lots of links to pictures, user pages, and old articles are broken, but most of the important stuff is intact.

edit: Here's the top 10 from August 2000, the first snapshot they have available:

Beer Name Average Rating Rate Count
    Ayinger Celebrator Doppelbock 4.58 8
    Rogue Mocha Porter 4.39 7
    Rogue Shakespeare Stout 4.39 8
    Guinness draft 4.38 32
    Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout 4.37 6
    Samuel Smiths Imperial Stout 4.35 6
    Anchor Brewing Company Porter 4.28 9
    Guinness Draught (can) 4.27 30
    Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout 4.27 12
    Fuller's ESB 4.26 7

edit 2: This is my favorite tid bit from that era:

"The beer with the most ratings is Budweiser with 34 ratings."
  14. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

You can't taste the rarity anymore.
  15. dar482

dar482 Advocate (645) New York Mar 9, 2007

This is really awesome. I love how much craft beer has changed. Storm King used to be #1, that's pretty surprising.
  16. Two Hearted is awesome FWIW. Had my first last week and concluded that if it were available in my area, it would be a definite regular purchase for me.
  17. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

Quite a few on there that still make me very happy.
  18. Westvleteren, Double Bastard, Shakespeare, Celebrator, and Rochefort are still top of the class for their respective styles. And Westvlteren wouldn't be the sole survivor in the top ten if it was widely available. Rarity and the rise of the IPA have changed this list, but you'd be more than happy with the 2003 list if you were stranded on a desert island.

The current list will not change in terms of it being dominated by IPAs and imperial stouts anytime soon. People love them, and American craft breweries have mastered making them. The names will change simply due to rarity.
    JohnnyMc, yemenmocha and dar482 like this.
  19. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

10 years ago I was drinking Mike's Hard Lemonade.
  20. dar482

dar482 Advocate (645) New York Mar 9, 2007

How frequently is the current list updated? Is it always changed or just yearly?
  21. Reneejane

Reneejane Savant (415) Illinois Jan 15, 2004

People on BA, now, are kind of obsessed with finding the rarest limited releases, and so, who knows what the 2012 or 2013 lists would really look like, because the vast majority of people won't have tasted those beers, although I suppose that's a bit like the Westveletern, too.
    2beerdogs likes this.
  22. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

Which I think is the biggest BS aspect of this hobby. Its not good unless its rare.

Oh well, ill just keep drinking my shelf turds
  23. shredder83

shredder83 Savant (420) Illinois Feb 21, 2013

I like that two hearted is on there, that is still one of my favorites and the best part is that now its available year round.
    APB and Cubatobaco like this.
  24. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (915) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I think the issue with Two Hearted is that it is distributed so much and is year round that many people get old bottles (I know it is dated) because they don't know better or just don't pay attention. It really is not that great of an IPA after 6+ months, so more people will give a lower score.
  25. tbryan5

tbryan5 Savant (470) Louisiana Sep 22, 2012

Beer hipster
  26. commis

commis Savant (320) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

My first Sam Smith Imperial Stout was a truly eye-opening moment for me, and I'm happy to say that I enjoy it just as much to this very day.
    Cubatobaco likes this.
  27. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

A lot on that list makes sense to me. It's much of today's that is the one to chuckle at
  28. I've never had Storm yet....I really should though considering you can buy single 12oz of it. But for me Stone RIS is always on top! reminds me a lot of Victory at sea...Or maybe Victory reminds me of it.
  29. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Ten years from now, at least one of the beers on the list will be brewed on the moon, then transferred into martian cabernet barrels for a year to mature on michigan bing cherries.
  30. Cubatobaco

Cubatobaco Advocate (595) Virginia Jan 27, 2013

Ironically enough I picked up a bottle tonight. It's next!
  31. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (460) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

Haha, I'm not sure in my nid-40's if that's a compliment or a cut down. :)
  32. We'll never see a lager in the top 10 again....
  33. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

Great beers > test of time!
    gcamparone likes this.
  34. When I was in college, I would buy a case of Storm King for me and Miller Lite for the guys I lived with. They couldn't stand dark beers. Definitely one of my early favorites.
    HeyJim, RStang13 and luwak like this.
  35. Doesn't matter. The classics will never stop being awesome.
  36. To be fair, Shaun Hill and Jean Broillet IV were still in undergrad so, cut BA some slack.
    SaisonFest likes this.
  37. Kuhnhenn Blueberry Eisbock is a solid contender.

OH YOU DIDNT LAND THAT 215 bottle $30 12oz 1 per person BOTTLE?

fine then.
    luwak, cneville, jmgrub and 1 other person like this.
  38. Pecan

Pecan Savant (410) California Dec 20, 2012

Pssh, dream on. That common swill won't make the top ten until it's been waxed with wax from African killer bee hives and hand numbered by the President of the United States.
    Barrelsnbeer, jmgrub and Zach136 like this.
  39. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

Yeah the same way people continue to rate Stone Ruination 10th Anniversary low almost a year after its release. Boggles the mind sometimes.
    hardy008 likes this.
  40. Premo88

Premo88 Savant (465) Texas Jun 6, 2010

seriously ... I love the hops and all, but sometimes I wonder if the American hop craze has gone overboard.

I definitely love the older list because I can buy all of those beers. The current list? I may never taste a single one of them, which to me means it's nothing more than a regional Top 10.