1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beerfestival in Bruges 2 & 3 februari

Discussion in 'Benelux' started by beerpirates, Dec 19, 2012.

1. For those that are planning a trip to Belgium , don't mis this beerfestival , IN 'THE BELLFREY' ON THE MARKETPLACE OF BRUGES
    Starting on saterday 2 febr. 2013 and ending on sunday 3 febr. 2013

http://www.brugsbierfestival.be/

Cheers !!

2. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Wow, I wouldn't expect as much but I'm actually pretty impressed with this list. Loads of standard stuff available pretty much everywhere and therefore not interesting to have at the festival, but I'm seeing harvest ales, IPAs, stouts and triple hops.

In case I go, I'll be all over that Oakey Mokey Whiskey Stout. Haven't been too impressed with what Brouwers Verzet has done so far, but I like their philosophy. Obviously these guys are all freshly graduated and still need to orientate themselves. Only so rarely does anyone ever get it right straight off the bat. The first things Struise ever brewed were a standard amber (Struise Rosse) and a wit (Struise Witte), so yeah, I'll give these guys the benefit of the doubt. I hope they bring their nitro tap again, especially for this one.

Can't wait to get my lips around the fresh harvest ales and green hopped beers! It's something I only recently discovered in the UK and they can be a real sensation when done right!

3. SStein

SStein Savant (390) Belgium Dec 26, 2012

It looks like a train ride to Bruges is coming up in my future, as long as I can convince my wife. Luckily she enjoys a good beer, and allows me to have my habits.

4. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (330) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

This is will by my mini honey moon with my new wife :) I cant wait!

5. We might have a group attending. Am I correct that Struisse is not going to be there? Looks to be plenty of great beers and breweries there, but that would still be a disappointment.

6. Dennoman

Nope. This is more of a mainstream festival, not many small breweries attending really. Struise usually never attends the really big festivals, except for Essen as their relation to the people at OBP seems really close.

If anyone is up for some trading, hit me up with a BM! Always up for a nice British brew :)

RendoMike likes this.
  7. mtbdonn

mtbdonn Savant (445) Colorado Dec 15, 2009

They also have St. Sixtus listed; Westy, really?

RendoMike likes this.
  8. Thanks. There are quite a few breweries I don't know on that list, so this would give me a chance to get away from the familiar and find other great Belgian beers. Especially looking forward to the green hopped beers!

9. Dennoman

Trust me: the green hopping trend is very new round here. Only seems to have cropped up in the past 2 years!

10. trevorjk

So how does this beer festival work? Free? One small price to get in? ect ect. Cant seem to find the information on the site.

11. JBogan

JBogan Savant (445) Nevada Jul 15, 2007

Free entrance

Tasting glass is 3 euro

Each beer is one token per consumption

Tokens are 1.5 euro

The official site has an "English" button at the top of the home page. If you click on the "poster" link it will take you to the official poster which has all the info on it.

Have fun at the festival!

12. trevorjk

hmm, never clicked the poster :) Thanks for the info!

13. SStein

Does anyone know how much beer the 1.5 euro buys you? I assume it is only a few oz. Definitely seems like a fun trip though.

14. Dennoman

If I'm not mistaken the tasting glasses at these true Belgian-style shindigs are usually pretty big. I haven't been to the Bruges festival yet (I'll ask a friend), but if ZBF was anything to go by, you can fit 25 cl in those puppies and they usually go pretty full-up, especially near the end. So I guess that's like 9-10 oz.

15. Ouch, not sure if that info is correct.
    Looking at the impressive brewery list, I sure observe a load of small artisanal breweries there.
    http://www.brugsbierfestival.be/nl/brouwers-160.html
    And indeed, Westy 12 is available at 1.5 Euro for a rich 15cl. sample.
    Cheers,
    Filip

16. This needs another correction.
    Struise doesn't take part of the Xmas beer fest in Essen. It's actually the organizers of the fest that have included some of their special beers. In fact, they even didn't need their approval at all.
    Cheers,
    Filip

17. Dennoman

I fail to see how the size of the brewery is a factor in how special their beer is. Small family breweries are equally capable of producing bland, mainstream beer. There are plenty of small breweries that make beer equally boring or even worse than the bigger players. I already mentioned that the beer list is nifty in places, especially with all the wet-hopping, barrel-aging, ... going on. I'm not saying we all have to jump on the American-style bandwagon, but the Belgian beer market is in desperate need of innovation. The majority of the beer list still consists of dozens upon dozens of dubbels and tripels, so they pretty much have to hide behind their size, or lack thereof, to raise sympathy. Call it the Calimero syndrome. Only in Belgium.

18. Indeed, all too frequently we see this to happen. But in case of US influenced IPA's, all depends on the availability American hops. I heard there's already a shortness in Amarilo hops here in Belgium.
    Important is that Belgian beer never should be dependent on US ingredients. Imagine !!!
    Still, that susplus availability US influenced belgian quality beers is a welcoming addition, but should be considered a nice side-effect to the already rich variety of belgian beer styles.
    Also, I'm very happy to see that the Belgian brewers didn't escalate the artificial fruity sweet beers. That trend luckily stopped today, and we see that the focus is laying into more hoppy, barrel ageing, quadrupel quality monsters. the belgien beer scene is doing better than ever before !!!
    Only ... we need to be carefull that the purchase prices doesn't go too much the expensive way.
    This actually would be the real end of our rich tradition ...
    Cheers,
    Filip

trevorjk likes this.
  19. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

So are Dennoman and Trappistenbier at odds? I don't like to see my friends going there.

20. trevorjk

So what can i expect? Is it going to be fairly crowded? Will the beer from particular breweries be available all weekend? Or do some breweries sometimes run out of particular brews? What is the best time to get into the Festival? Any tips, tricks, general European knowledge that i should know before i go to my first beer fest out side of U.S?

Basically, if you were bringing your best friend to his first beer festival, what would you make sure he knew and did to completely enjoy his first bierfestival?

Thanks for any information guys :)

Also, we are staying very close to the center. Would you guys recommend any places for a good sit down dinner or lunch? Any other beer related things going on in town besides the beer swap this weekend?

21. Dennoman

Nothing that can't be solved over a good beer :)

22. yinzer

yinzer Savant (385) Pennsylvania Nov 24, 2006

Great news, even better- I'll buy.

23. Oh yeah :)
    I've been through MUCh worser, believe me.....
    You need to agree that one can disagree ....
    Cheers,
    Filip

24. Please, avoid at any cost to be there between 4pm and 5pm on Saturday. it's just impossible to move between all the crammed bodies.....You've been warned :)
    Besides the Beer Swap, i also organise the 3th Vintage Tasting at the second floor Belfry tower. See other post down here for more details...
    Be aware that Cambrinus will be closed on Friday and Saturday.
    Try the T-bone steak at Le Bon Vivant, or the succulent spare ribs at De Hobbit (that's opposite Brugs Beertje).
    And for the rest, just move with the beer flow........
    Have a great trip to my hometown. You sure will have some damn fun man....
    Cheers,
    Filip

25. trevorjk

Thanks for the tips Filip! Maybe I will try to stop by for the Vintage Tasting. Ill bring a beer from the states as my thanks for your nice event :)

Trappistenbier likes this.
  26. THANKS !!!

27. Dennoman

Anyone that's going tomorrow heading back towards the general direction of Antwerp/Mechelen? DD preferred.

By DD I do mean designated driver, but Double D's are always a plus.

28. trevorjk

If you wow the wife and like lunk/metal music. Maybe we could be a dd. We are driving through Antwerp.....

29. Great fest. Enjoyed trying many new to me beers and chatting with some fellow brewers. Had set up base camp right next to the Verzet stand. Nice bunch of young guys, enjoyed thier beers but found them still a bit lacking in refinement... but that will come with experience.

30. Dennoman

Couldn't make it. Wedding party the night before got a little out of hand :( Oh well, next time.

31. SStein

Enjoyed myself, tried a couple of different beers and overall had a good time. My wife and baby daughter enjoyed themselves as well. I love the European attitude as I cannot count how many times I was asked if my 18 month old daughter got to have some beer.

trevorjk likes this.