Beerjobbers: Store Closed

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Oxymoron, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Advocate (670) Colorado Aug 14, 2005

2. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (600) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

Woulda been nice if they had some beers on clearance.

mcrago likes this.
  3. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

4. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

That was fast. I ordered beer from them last week and was just checking the site a couple hours ago.

5. Tolann

Tolann Savant (350) Colorado Jul 9, 2007

Aren't they the ones that provide the app for GABF. So maybe next year's app will be better...

6. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

I was on their site this afternoon. If I remember correctly they hadn't been updating inventory in some time.

7. I ordered once. Odd. It was a beer from Ohio that was shipped from Washington state. I thought it was all shipped direct from the brewery. Most beer was not too impressive and seemed a bit expensive. I liked the idea. All the other beers I wanted were out of stock. My beer did arrive very quickly. I wish then a quick return. Maybe a better model.

Enjoy

cosmicevan likes this.
  8. I just placed my first order with them recently for the HUB Abominable cans. Sorry to read they are closing but I'm glad there are other options out there.

9. HopFace

HopFace Savant (385) Pennsylvania Feb 29, 2012

Honestly, good. They had a great idea but ridiculous pricing. I looked many times but never pulled the trigger because they had beers up to a 50% mark up. No thanks, peace out.

mjohnson17, yamar68 and cosmicevan like this.
  10. I found their site to be uninspiring.

bstyle and benjaminahudson like this.
  11. Bummer. I read that they were going to have a 2 pack of Wynkoop Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout cans for like $8. I probably would have picked that up.

12. miketd

Not sure what you wanted to order, but I was getting La Cumbre Elevated for ~$2 per 4pk. over retail(not including shipping, but that was reasonable too).

13. Tucquan

Tucquan Advocate (595) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2007

I too found the price with shipping reasonable for this excellent brew. Too bad they closed.

miketd likes this.
  14. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

making money in America is hard.

Maybe I'll stop getting obnoxious emails now?

15. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Wow. I guess that explains why they never got back to me about their affiliate program for my page. That sucks

benjaminahudson likes this.
  16. Not really all that surprising since their business model was at best questionable from a legal viewpoint. Bypassing the 3 tier system isn't easy.

17. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Is it just me or have more online stores been closing recently? From what I've seen from a few of them, it didn't seem like everything was legal considering their shipping and considering their lack of respect for the distribution map.

18. Who else has closed recently -- this was the first one I'd noticed.

19. If you buy a 2, 4 or 6 pack of something, yes, the markup is ridiculous. But they did offer half and full cases. Say, a 4 pack was $20, but a case of 24 was $46. Simple principle of buying in bulk: you pay less. As mentioned above with La Cumbre Elevated IPA: $50 case, $20 shipping, comes out to <$12 a 4 pack for a phenomenal IPA. I'd pay that all day long.

miketd likes this.

20. Strange to hear you say that. Are you talking about Rivertown? If so, I bought some of their stuff and it was shipped from Ohio. Also, ordered a few times with stuff from Marble and it always shipped from Albuquerque. My Blue Mountain order shipped from Virginia, my Heretic order shipped from California and my Elevation order shipped from Colorado...

21. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Free at last, free at last... thank God almighty my email is free at last.

22. Yes. I bought the gueze and it shipped from Washington state.

Have not tried it yet. All the other Rivertown beers were out if stock.

Enjoy

23. [​IMG]

I for one won't be missing this kind of obnoxious email every week, or the "YO BRO! YOU LOOKIN FOR DIS BEER RIGHT HERE?! WE'S GOTS IT!"

24. bpd2001

bpd2001 Zealot (95) New York Jun 14, 2012

There is such a thing as unsubscribe.......

Dogzbone and Bitterbill like this.
  25. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

The mark up was apparently not high enough.

26. bpd2001

bpd2001 Zealot (95) New York Jun 14, 2012

I tried Beerjobber once. It was ok. I agree with what other people have posted: kind of expensive unless you bought in bulk. And the problem with that is who wants to buy something you've never tried in bulk?

27. CUE45

CUE45 Aficionado (215) Virginia Jul 29, 2008

Weak. I was hoping to score a case of the Elevated IPA. Oh well ...

28. I need fodder for my hatred though, so...

Naterobsnyk4 likes this.
  29. Nectar

Nectar Savant (310) New Jersey Jan 17, 2013

They were great for a case of elevated every few months. Oh well

30. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (340) Illinois Mar 13, 2011

I fell "victim" to a number of late night impulse buys in response to their marketing e-mails. Sure, I paid somewhat too much for the beer, but I also got to try (in depth) a number of beers I otherwise wouldn't have become familiar with.

And they regularly featured Heretic, so I had a regular pipeline of Evil Twin, etc...

31. beenitty

beenitty Savant (330) New Jersey Nov 27, 2010

Can someone explain their model?

Are they buying in bulk in different regions of the country for sourcing then shipping to the customer based on the location of the beers the customer wants?

Or are they combining your order via proximity from warehouses then shipping to the customer?

32. miketd

I can only answer for the stuff i bought, but Elevated shipped right from the brewpub. The shipping label had a WA. address, but they most likely gave that to La Cumbre via email. I was also listed as a "sales associate".

33. brewtopian

brewtopian Zealot (90) Idaho Feb 14, 2008

The way it was set up to work was the orders were shipped from the individual brewery under beerjobbers shipping account. Where I think they got into a little trouble was with that shipping account and shippers contract may not have permitted these other companies to ship under it and it may have been suspended.

34. What about the whole "fuck tier two" thing? Surely there are laws about regulating beer throughout the country?

35. brewtopian

brewtopian Zealot (90) Idaho Feb 14, 2008

Its very unclear that they were actually meddling with the 3 tier system since most states permit self distribution by brewers of a certain size and it was the brewers that were selling and shipping the beer. Beerjobber was the marketer.

States worry about violations to the 3 tier system when the state isn't collecting its excise taxes because the beer is being sold without it passing through a distributor. This only applies to traditional retail sales through brick and mortar locations and not the internet. Internet sales are a new phenomenon and the states haven't really addressed this new reality.

There'll be a lot more online operators cropping up and going under until a clear legal framework is created but that is a lot easier said than done. With 50 different states needing to address it in 50 different ways any solution will be complex and absolutely unenforceable.

36. deadbody

deadbody Savant (340) Minnesota May 10, 2010

If the states are smart it will be easy to enforce. Since all "bootlegging" laws allow for seizure of the vehicle used, all the states have to do is to contact FeddEx and UPS and let them know that there is a store that is refusing to cease and desist sending. FedEx and UPS will then suspend their ability to ship at all (as they do not want to lose trucks).

Also the mmajority of liquor store owners when told that what they were doing was illegal will stop I think.

37. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

I was getting Elevated IPA from beerjobber too. Holy Moly. What a fantastic beer! Too bad I can't buy anymore. Boohoo!

miketd likes this.
  38. damn that suck cause i really like that site
    and super sucks cause was just going to order another case
    out of all the sites there pricing was the best
    hope they can re-open soon

39. SenorHops

A 4 pack of 16 oz. beers to boot!

EgadBananas likes this.
  40. SenorHops

Yes, they claimed that the Elevated IPA shipped out directly from the brewery/brewpub. It was incredibly fresh, so I'd buy that.