1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers/Breweries in China?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by coocookuhchoo, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Hey there. I'll be going to China with my girlfriend for 3 weeks this summer, and I am looking to find some good beer despite it not being generally regarded as a beer country. Any recommendations for good beer that I could find in China, or, even better, good breweries to visit in Beijing/Shanghai/Chengdu? Specifically I'm looking for beer that I cannot get in the US. I'm hoping there is more to Chinese beer than Tsingtao and the like. Thanks!

2. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

I don't know if it is good but Snow Beer is the best selling beer in the world, gotta try that.

3. lol, snow isn't even worth the tick. don't know about chengdu, but shanghai and beijing have decent beer now if you look for it. check out the expat magazines (cityweekend, thebeijinger, timeout, that's shanghai) for plenty of suggestions. would give you a more detailed response, but about to go to sleep.

note to the alstroms: any reason why there isn't an asia regional forum group anymore?

4. great leap is actually not the first in china - just ONE of the first of a few american-inspired craft breweries in beijing, that also happened to be recently started... and still operating. (there were a couple before him in beijing as well, though most shut down soon after.) there are also american-inspired/-run craft breweries in shanghai (boxing cat), nanjing and shenzhen, established many years beforehand. (boxing cat must be about 5 or 6 years or more by now.)

5. Keene

Keene Managing Editor (320) New York Sep 11, 2009 Staff Member

6. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

The best easily available Chinese lager for me was Yanjing Beer (Beijing). Harbin Beer (Hapi), from the city where I studied for a year, was a close second. Both really light and fairly hoppy and delicious, great to pair with food.

7. syu3003

syu3003 Aficionado (205) Michigan May 4, 2011

Harbin is the only place where you can drink a beer and warm up from both the alcohol and because 40 deg F is 50 deg warmer than the outside air.

8. Dennoman

It wasn't too bad in the winter when I was there. Only got to averages of about -15 centigrade during winter.

9. syu3003

syu3003 Aficionado (205) Michigan May 4, 2011

I remember it being so cold it hurt. I'd like to visit again in the summertime probably. Nice city.

10. Dennoman

Nothing to do there during summertime. At times more poluted than Beijing. Nice constant 25 degrees though.

11. PhelpsMickey

PhelpsMickey Initiate (15) Jul 20, 2012

Beijng has Great Leap Brewing, Shanghai has The BREW, Boxing Cat and Dr BEER - Let me know when you arrive into Shanghai and get over to The BREW - I will give you a brewery tour - Leon - Brewmaster, The BREW
    http://www.thecookthemeetthebrew.com/the-brew/

12. patre_tim

patre_tim Advocate (520) China Mar 29, 2012

So, coocookuhchoo, just wondering how your trip went, and how you found the beer scene?