1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers For Christmas

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Brianhophead, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So I'm thinking of picking up a large-ish bottle of something special for christmas. Not necessarily a christmas ale per se, but a big 12-20 dollar bottle of beer to treat myself for christmas. What should I pick up a bottle of?

2. Giovannilucano

Giovannilucano Savant (450) Wyoming Feb 24, 2011

Ha, well maybe a lot of BA's here will disagree, but I love Italian craft Christmas beers, because no one does Christmas better! So, Birra Del Boro 25 Dodici will be enjoyable.

kojevergas likes this.
  3. haddon

haddon Savant (285) Kentucky Jul 13, 2009

for $15 you can get 1/2 case of Celebration and have a very Merry Christmas.

4. bluejacket74

bluejacket74 Champion (805) Ohio Jul 4, 2005

I'll be like a lot of other people and drinking a bottle of The Bruery's 5 Golden Rings.

5. Ryan2BSU

Ryan2BSU Savant (320) Indiana Mar 16, 2012

Last year my brother and law and myself shared expedition stout and St. Bernardus Christmas Ale!

Jules11788 likes this.
  6. Anchor Xmas comes in Magnums and I think they are available in BC ( they were last year) . If not I second the Corsendonk Xmas pack .

WankelEngine, Hornet2003 and TicoCali like this.
  7. Nitro-Boy

Nitro-Boy Disciple (65) Illinois Nov 17, 2012

Its Christmas Dude...............Yes you need to buy Christmas Beer!

8. Firestone Walker 16th Anniversary or The Bruery Fruet

9. I get a growler of whatever looks good at the local pub. I'm lucky to have a place with 20+ craft beers on tap that lets you get a growler, prices from $8.00 to $ 25.00 a fill up including hand pumped cream stouts. 5 stay the same 15+ constantly changing. And the growler's appearance gets the edgy friends to try out new things

Porkchuck and mebummer like this.
  10. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Advocate (515) Missouri May 11, 2012

I like the Mikkeller to/from porter. I dont think we are getting any this year though where I'm at...

11. Vivs85

Vivs85 Savant (305) New York Nov 29, 2012

pick up a 6 of Goose Island bourbon county coffee stout. It'll run you about $24... but extremely worth it.

Ghostofthewoods and fujindemon74 like this.
  12. evilcatfish

They have BCBCS in sixers?

13. I'll be here...Prost!

[​IMG]

14. Vivs85

Sorry... 4 pack... drinking a sculpin, watching a movie, and typing... getting distracted

lsummers likes this.
  15. evilcatfish

Or 4 packs, thought the Coffee was only in bombers....????

mikeburd1128 likes this.
  16. Vivs85

nah... I have seen it in 4's... and bombers. maybe not common though.

17. Grab a sixer for $10 (Celebration comes to mind) and donate the other $10 to a local charity. Everyone wins.

18. Who makes Celebration?

CA_Infidel2o9 likes this.
  19. codasnap52

codasnap52 Savant (345) Connecticut Jan 24, 2008

Get a couple of De Dolle Stille Nachts (or the Reserva if its out by Christmas). There's a reason it crushes all the other Christmas beers at the beer festivals in Belgium at this time of year.

WassailWilly likes this.
  20. Ford

Ford Savant (490) Texas Sep 8, 2012

I'm hoping to pick up some Karbach Frageelay... it's their Yule Shoot Your Eye Out Christmas seasonal..aged in Bourbon barrels...

21. Sierra Nevada

22. Somewhat limited, but my favorite go-to over the past 5 years has been Scaldis Noel (guess I'm in alignment with the Bros, per the Ratings) ... http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/604/2232

I now have a 5 year vertical which I can't wait to share with the right audience.

MegC likes this.
  23. Thinking Belgian all the way will get back to you on exactly which one next week
    Same bat time same bat channel

24. All Belgian Winter Ale fest 12/15/12
    Will be EPIC !!!

25. FlyingKelly

FlyingKelly Savant (260) Texas Nov 28, 2012

It's pretty good. Had it on tap at Flying Saucer Wednesday. Enjoy!

26. My vote is a magnum of Anchor OSA. Right around $16 a bottle.

27. If a growler is unavailable on the east coast Troegg's Mad Elf is popular. It's a winter warmer style ale, chocolate, cherry, spices, high amperage stuff, i think 11.0 % 6 pack to a magnum.

28. Dougger

Dougger Disciple (60) Michigan Dec 8, 2012

Don't spend big money for a beer you have never tasted. Might be disappointed. Try Leinenkugel's "Snowdrift Vanilla Porter". It is a smooth porter, lacking a bitter after taste, holds a good head. It has a hint of chocolate/vanilla, kind of "Holiday" flavor.

29. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Advocate (515) Ohio Nov 15, 2009

This depends on where you are, obviously, but if you're in Ohio and you're going to be with a group of other people who love beer, a 1.5 liter bottle of Thirsty Dog Barrel Aged 12 Dogs of Christmas is good for sharing. $40 for the 1.5 liter bottle.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/12516/76750

30. RTrain12

RTrain12 Savant (400) Illinois Feb 6, 2010

31. I picked up this past April a 3L 2010 Anchor Our Special Christmas for this year. I can't wait. I loved the 2010!

32. Definitely some Doggie Claws!

bosco123 and WassailWilly like this.
  33. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

This might be a little more than 15-20 but get a magnum of Anchor OSA or Chimay Grand Reserve and share it with family/friends.

34. JxExM, jaxon53, Teleweizen2 and 4 others like this.
  35. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

You might be disappointed no matter how much you spend; sometimes you need to spend a few extra bucks just to find out.

musicman7070 and Dougger like this.
  36. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Hill Farmstead twilight of the idols. Best vanilla porter ever.

cpjtr9559 likes this.
  37. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

Your avatar gives me a raging boner... I'm gonna dig in the cellar, probably a KBS, Founders IRS, and of course, and old Fezziwig. Also maybe one of my FW DDBA.

2beerdogs and korguy123 like this.
  38. Sierra Nevada

Bubbles likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.