1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers For Christmas

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Brianhophead, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanK4

DanK4 Aficionado (240) Maine Jan 17, 2012

Just drank one with a year on it last week. It was way more buttery biscuit and vanilla than I remember fresh- but awesome either way!
  2. 1. My Home brew.

2. Someone elses homebrew.
  3. michael_king

michael_king Disciple (60) Virginia Dec 18, 2012

Should read "Bourbon GBS"
    WassailWilly likes this.
  4. Bruery Autumn Maple, if you can still find it. It's a 10% Belgian style brown ale brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel, molasses, brown sugar. Also St. Bernardus Christmas ale is great.
  5. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

I think I'm finally going to drink 4 calling birds either on the eve or day of. Any thoughts, never had it
  6. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

That is what I will be drinking too. My favorite beer on my favorite day of the year
    mporter13 likes this.
  7. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (360) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

Got the Bourbon GBS an hour ago. Had one Sat from the release and this one will be uncorked in front of the x-mas tree. Also picked up three Bruery Autumn Maples for $4/ea - those will be night after treats.
  8. I think I'm going to be popping a Melange 3 that I traded for a while back. Splurge a little on yourself.
    mjw52 and TWStandley like this.
  9. blguillen

blguillen Savant (300) California Apr 19, 2011

On Christmas, I'll be enjoying the Bruery's 5 Golden Rings and 4 Calling Birds. I *love* Christmas beers. Love love love the spices and its by far (for me) the best time to enjoy great beer. I have a keg of Sam Adams Winter lager on tap at home. This past weekend, I enjoyed Noble Ale Works "You'll Shoot You're Eye Out" beer. It was bomb. Loved the apple cider!
  10. rob133

rob133 Savant (290) California Jan 7, 2009

Wife just called me up to ask what she should get me from the beer store - a couple of bottles of Fantome it is then - thank you very much
  11. Resuin

Resuin Champion (770) Massachusetts Jun 18, 2012

Going all out. Definitely going to spread it out though, otherwise it could get ugly. The order is subject to change. Note: Lineup is not limited to just these brews, but will include the following!

1. Pliny The Elder
    2. Mother of all Storms
    3. The Dissident
    4. Heady Topper
    5. Victory at Sea

Here's to hoping everyone has a very merry Christmas and a hoppy New Year!
  12. kreg02

kreg02 Aficionado (175) Illinois Nov 19, 2012

Pretty sure the coffee is only in bombers the regular BCBS is in 12oz 4 packs though...
    Fluke828 likes this.
  13. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

I agree on a normal day, but can you imagine buying a beer for the soul purpose of enjoying it on christmas and it ends up down the drain?

I recommend something you know and love, an amazing BA Imperial stout sounds good. I'll have to pick one up.
  14. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

1 - Best given: Taking my sister to a few breweries & bottle-shop for her x-mas present this year. She seems really excited about it:)

2 - Best received: Last year my wife and I walked into a bottle-shop, and she said "Go nuts! Merry x-mas!".
    musicman7070, JxExM and fujindemon74 like this.
  15. Had Bush de noel premium last year close to the holidays, exceptional!

beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/604/24693
  16. Just walk down to your local store a grab Westy 12, they're super cheap this time of year.
    Hatzilla likes this.
  17. I've been saving a bomber or Fistmas from Revolution for about a month now gonna enjoy that
  18. 1. Homebrew and

2. Whatever my brother in law feels like cracking from the gift basket of beers I'm giving him for Xmas.

3. Maybe a Westy. Down one already, want to cellar at least 3 of them for a year. We'll see about that.
  19. Is it safe to say it's better without age on it?
  20. Hoppin' Frog BA Frosted Frog Christmas Ale or The Bruery 5 Golden Rings
  21. Bubbles

Bubbles Aficionado (205) California Sep 16, 2012

My favorite Christmas beers, this year were Mikkeller's Ris a la Male and their Red/White.
  22. GeckoPunk

GeckoPunk Savant (285) Connecticut Jul 29, 2012

I'd give you some of mine, but it's got another month before it reaches its prime... :(

I'll remember next year to start a batch around my birthday (October 15th) so that it will be perfect by X-Mass... Some people say that a "typical" (ale) beer only needs 1 month to mature, although I think that's a little too soon for the flavors to refine.
  23. Cantillon Oude Gueuze
  24. kingofhop

kingofhop Savant (430) Oklahoma May 9, 2010

Chimay Blue, SN Celebration and some Bud. Merry Christmas to y'all. maybe even some Torpedo, Boulevard and some cheep Scotch.
  25. I will be opening my Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock.
  26. Uhm.. wha?? where the hell are you getting autumn maples for $4?!
  27. Celebration is well celebrated on this site
  28. For anything other than IPA I'd agree. Also, higher the ABV the longer it needs to smooth out.

Cheers.
  29. racer2k

racer2k Savant (340) Massachusetts May 21, 2004

Sierra Nevada Celebration 12 pack, Delirium Noel bomber and St. Bernardus Christmas bomber...
  30. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

I was thinking the Bruery's 5 Golden rings as well, or Bink Grand Cru. Last year I really loved Gouden Carolus Noel. Havent' seen it yet this year. Another awesome one is Jolly Pumpkin's Noel de Calabaza.
    Bubbles likes this.
  31. If u can find older vintages of anchor osa holds up so well
  32. Mind=blown
  33. ThatCracker

ThatCracker Savant (360) Virginia Nov 20, 2012

They had them on clearance. Had the Perkulator Dopplebock for $4 a 4 pack as well LOL. Just got lucky...
  34. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

What can you get? I couldn't walk into any beer store here and expect to buy a 20-30 dollar bottle of beer unless you bought one of the retardo magnum bottles.
  35. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Is the BA Frosted Frog worth the $15 price tag? I have two normal Frosted Frogs for Christmas.
  36. rob133

rob133 Savant (290) California Jan 7, 2009

My ever changing choice for Christmas beer has taken another turn - drank a bottle of this last night and will be seeking out a few more of these over the weekend. What a great beer

Bryggeriet Djævlebryg ApS - Hjul & Stejle

[​IMG]
  37. djaeon

djaeon Advocate (725) California Oct 2, 2006

It's great having a wife that's as into good beer as me!
    SWChi, fujindemon74 and JxExM like this.
  38. Just picked up a super fresh 4-pack of 2013 Bigfoot! Will definitely be consuming these all next week.The 4-packs are cute but unfortunately priced the same as the 6-packs were.
    Hatzilla likes this.
  39. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (320) Michigan May 30, 2010

Are you sure that your not referring to the regular Bourbon county stout (bcbs) and not the coffee(bcbcs)? I would be very interested in a 4-pack of coffee if they exist.
  40. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

So how does it feel owning your own bottle shop now?
    djaeon, Ricelikesbeer and ThatCracker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.