1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers For Christmas

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Brianhophead, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boulevards "Nut Cracker Ale" is great and if you are in Omaha, NE or close by you can get Lucky Buckets "Snowsuit" both have that wintery feel when you are enjoying them.

gmrv4 likes this.
  2. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Savant (485) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

I just opened a 2011 3L today and it was a drain pour... I questioned doing it since it was 5.4% and it backfired, hope your experience is better. I don't mind pouring one for my homies, but those jag bags don't deserve three liters

3. ECalebrews449

ECalebrews449 Savant (345) Nebraska Dec 23, 2012

Love the post!! Celebration Ale(Sierra Nevada), Nutcracker Ale(Boulevard), Snow Day (New Belgium), Isolation Ale (Odell), and Hibernation Ale(Great Divide)/Barrel Aged Hibernation Ale.

4. I'll most likely do a showdown between Night Stalker and BCBCS. Maybe a WnB or two will be thrown in the mix somewhere.

5. Atleast the Noel is Christmasy
    [​IMG]

TongoRad likes this.
  6. So unless someone has a better idea I think I'll pick up a Porter Baltique Grande Cuvee from Quebec's Three Musketeers brewing

fujindemon74 likes this.
  7. St. Bernardus Christmas, Scaldis Noel Vert, maybe a GI Christmas Ale and probably a 50/50 Eclise.

8. St. Bernardus Christmas ale seems like a perfect fit for what you are looking for. You won't be disappointed.

TongoRad and Zimbo like this.
  9. Vivs85

Vivs85 Aficionado (205) New York Nov 29, 2012

Yes the BCBS is in 4 packs... not sure about the coffee, you're probably right

10. Avec Les Bons Voeux is my Christmas eve tradition.

dumpstation likes this.
  11. nebula1999

nebula1999 Savant (395) Connecticut Jul 29, 2006

Get a bottle of "Samichlaus" . A single will cost you about $7, a 4 pack around $25. 14% abv will do the trick. It's my yearly go-to Christmas Eve Leg of Lamb Dinner beer. You won't be disappointed.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/285/776

bosco123 likes this.
  12. DogfishJoe

DogfishJoe Savant (460) Ohio Feb 14, 2010

I'm gonna grab a bottle of 5 golden rings an also their is a mikeller beer that is in a huge wine bottle covered in white an red snowflakes that I wanna try.

13. bosco123

bosco123 Aficionado (130) Oregon May 26, 2008

Mother of all Storms might be nice,but Doggie Claws is my go to Christmas present for myself. Brown Shugga goes well with the cinnamon rolls in the morning..or a nice Vanilla something like Creme Brulee or Mowgli from Caldera.I could go on...

luwak likes this.
  14. Plan on tucking into some of these over the next few days, Merry Christmas

[​IMG]

TongoRad and Zimbo like this.
  15. Had Boom Island YULE 2012 last night. Pretty darn good Belgian.
    [​IMG]

luwak likes this.
  16. davesway10

davesway10 Advocate (500) Iowa Jan 23, 2010

Think I'll dig out a St Bernardus Christmas, Hardywood Gingerbread Stout, Mother Earth Silent Night and finish with a Troegs Mad Elf. If I'm still drinking after that then anything goes.

ncaudle and TongoRad like this.
  17. I don’t have anything special lying around & probably won’t get down a specialty store. I figure I will open one of my Fou’ Foune’s & grab some Rochefort 10 or Orval depending on what the supermarket has.

TongoRad likes this.
  18. gestyr

gestyr Savant (325) Pennsylvania Dec 5, 2005

My BIL, on the advice of my wyfe, gave me a great Christmas present : a six pack of Troegs Mad Elf.

19. 3SH33TS

3SH33TS Savant (300) California Dec 21, 2010

Probably play it safe with a Bernardus Christmas and a 2008 Fullers Vintage, and maybe a Stille Nacht.

Was really disappointed with 5 Golden Rings and that Sam Adams Hardywood imposter... also cracked a bottle of 4 Calling Birds with 1 year on it, and it was quite good.

20. Who would you like to see...

Here's

EDDIE! !

tshaw likes this.
  21. Oh ya.... beer discussion, not MAIDEN

get some alpha clause, or Black Tuesday

22. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (525) New York Mar 7, 2010

Got to try Fegley's Rude Elf's Reserve, the one classified as an "Herb Spiced Beer" according to beeradvocate, not the one classified as a "Belgian Strong Dark Ale"

Meh.. Not great. But not bad either. Its more or less a Belgian Strong Dark just with a little extra nutmeg and cinnamon added to it.

23. For Christmas of 2010 my sister got me a case of Old Horizontal. While I smashed out most of it within a month or so, I did save three bottles. I drank one last year, I'm drinking one tonight, and the last one next Christmas. I'm really amped to see what OH with two years on it tastes like later tonight. :)

24. csurowiec

csurowiec Savant (325) Maryland Mar 7, 2010

Hosting both of my parents and their significant others for dinner. I have a few things lined up for tasting as dinner cooks tonite.
    La fin du monde
    Goose island Christmas
    Duclaw devils milk
    Goose island Matilda
    Sierra Nevada narwhal
    My father said "oh great a tasting will be fun I'll bring some good stuff" he showed up last night with
    Thomas hardy 1990
    Thomas hardy 1993
    DFH raison de extra. 2007
    And a handful of readily available things from Ommegang and Samuel Smiths

Now my contribution feels grossly inadequate.
    I am pretty excited for dinner tonite. Never had the DFH and haven't had Thomas Hardy since the 1990s

thecraftculture and TongoRad like this.
  25. HarriAle

HarriAle Aficionado (130) Michigan Oct 26, 2012

Santa! Santa! Santa! Hours before jolly ol St. Nick comes tumbling down the tube, myself and the rest of the elves will be tasting -- among other brews -- Surly Smoke, Surly Abrasive, Dogfish Head Hellhound, Bell's Eccentric Ale and Indeed Brewing Old Friend Holiday Ale.

TongoRad likes this.
  26. Definitely sharing a few beers with loved ones this year, and I'm really looking forward to it-
    [​IMG]
    First of all, special thanks to BA zipper8650 who generously sent me the Stone beers because of a mention on another thread. I'm sure my wife and mom will go nuts for the Mint Chocolate, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to bring one with me.

Over Thanksgiving my brother went nuts for the BCBS so I saved this last one for him. Same with my mom and the DDBA. As to the Peche, well, they all enjoy it and sometimes you gotta take off your beer geek hat and enjoy something that plain tastes good. Merry Christmas everybody!

27. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (610) Virginia May 28, 2010

starting tonight with a Santas Little Helper then probably moving onto some 12s (Shorts Liberator and Woodmaster, Wake-N-Bake, homebrew imp stout and mango/honey ipa)

28. Mine have almost nothing to do with Christmas, but I'm bringing a twelve pack to the inlaws. 2 Supplication, 3 Sweet Baby Jesus, 4 Moo Hoo, The Perfect Crime, and 2 Day Time.

29. Well for Christmas Eve, it looks like my first Mad Elf and possibly a Columbus Brewing Co IPA with the family, then a Alpha Klaus and GLBC Christmas on Christmas Day!

30. 750ml Don De Dieu
    750ml Rare Vos

All for me while watching hoops.

31. Bringing 3 mini-verts of '11 and '12 to my friend's Xmas Eve party tonight. Gouden Carolus Noel, Delirium Noel, and St. Bernardus Christmas.

32. Christmas Eve:

Westvleteren 12 (from a trip to Brussels, not from the gift packs) and a Rochefort 10 for comparison/enjoyment.

Christmas:

Orval, Celebration Ale, maybe a London Pride, then picking through some Notch Saisons (3.8% abv) for sessioning.

33. Drinking local this year:

Allagash Fluxus for the main course tonight and some Smuttynose Winter Warmer and fresh Finest Kind for the rest of the evening.

Allagash Confluence for Christmas dinner and a growler of Oxbow Noel for dessert.

34. Well, last night included all of the following at an epic dinner/beer tasting:
    • DFH Old School
    • Midnight Sun Arctic Devil
    • Mikeller Spontanframboos
    • GI Madame Rose
    • GI Juliet
    • Bruery Rueuze
    • Bruery Tart of Darkness
    • Alaskan Smoked Porter
    • Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti
    • BCBS
    • Trader Joe's/Unibroue Vintage Ale
    • Narwhal
    • DFH My Antonia
    • Plus a couple homebrews.
    Today has included/will include the following:
    • Wake n Bake
    • Narwhal
    • Hardywood Park Gingerbread Stout
    God only knows what I will get into tomorrow!

35. switzer

switzer Savant (295) Oregon Jan 18, 2012

Good post and good responses. Our Christmas lineup, in order:

Southern tier mokah
    Brown shugga -z wife's fav
    Pliny and Hop stoopid and Double jack, side by side by side
    Deschutes hop henge
    Great divide ruffian
    Adam
    Adam cherry
    Some nice Oregon Pinot for dinner, most likely Ponzi reserve 2009
    Finish it off with some 11 abyss

All shared, of course

36. Hatzilla

Hatzilla Savant (310) California Jul 25, 2008

Where did you find it?

37. Ledger's in Berkeley got in several cases. They came in way earlier than they expected.

38. Hatzilla

Thanks. I am looking forward to a fresh one and adding more to the cellar!

39. Hatzilla

Celebration
    Sucks
    Brown Shugga
    St. Bernardus Christmas

buddha5050 likes this.
  40. buddha5050

buddha5050 Savant (315) Michigan Sep 27, 2012

I would go with a 750 of Delirium Noel nice beer, just had one myself ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.