1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Beers from the US in green bottles

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Bitterbill, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

The only ones that I recall seeing is the Blue Boar Ale from Henry Weinhard and Rolling Rock. Others you've seen?

Edit: Of course, Mickey's Big Mouth and I assume Ballantine XXX Ale.
  2. It was pretty traditional for the pre-craft US ales to come in green glass- Ballantine, Carling Red Cap, Pabst Old Tankard, Yuengling Lord Chesterfield, McSorley's (in the Rheingold/Ortlieb/Schmidt's era), Neuweiler's, Rainier Old Stock, Reading's Berkshire - probably scores more.

And a number of US "super-premiums" also were in green bottles - Heileman's Special Export, Van Merritt, Huber.

And, there's also Straub's famous* throw-away "greenies".
    *Applicable only in Western PA.​
  3. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

New Glarus uses green bottles for their fruit beers.
    Ivan the Terrible was in a green bottle too.
  4. Bitterbill

Yeah, I knew that. ;)
    I'm more interested in what one can currently find on the shelf. Lord Chesterfield, I forgot about.
  5. Jason

Jason Founder (1,300) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

6. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Savant (490) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Little Kings, best thing from the 'Natti ever!!
    Bitterbill likes this.
  7. Oh, I didn't realize Weinhard's Blue Boar was still brewed (we haven't seen a Weinhard brand on the east coast since the Heileman days, and only briefly at that) so I thought you meant past and present.

Yeah, currently Ballantine XXX Ale, Straub's t/a's and Yuengling's Lord Chesterfield, along with their flagship Traditional Lager are in green glass.

Isn't Gambrinus' US-brewed Trumer Pils also?

The Miller-brewed, Pabst-owned (and dumbed down) Rainier Ale isn't in green anymore or is just doesn't make it that far east anymore?
  8. Bitterbill

Ha! I read your review. The first paragraph is near priceless, considering the recent threads on green bottles and their effects on beer.;)
  9. Bitterbill

They were always in green, yeah, but I haven't seen or tried it except once, since the good old days when it was an Ale of distinction, and the bottle was green and what was in the bottle was a very poorly made Malt Liquor.
  10. Yeah, I never had the current Miller-brewed version, but I did try the Stroh version in the late '90's on vacation in Nevada and California and it was big disappointment. It was one of my favorites (tho' not always easy to find) when I lived in LA and elsewhere in CA in the mid-'70's.

I might even say it was as big - if not bigger - a disappointment as the Miller-brewed Ballantine XXX Ale currently on the shelves here in the northeast - and for me, that's saying a lot.

Is it only available now in 40's? They don't even mention it on the Pabst Rainier website IIRC.

It kinda still blows my mind that even as "craft beer" was taking off in the '80's and '90's, the brewers of those legacy ales continued to dumb down their product, rather than jump on the bandwagon. I suppose Pabst did some half-hearted attempts - even resurrected Old Tankard (and it sounded like it was based on the Ballantine IPA they were brewing in Milwaukee at the time) and had a short-lived Ballantine Twisted Red Ale that was obviously "inspired" by the red beer fade and Wicked Pete's.
  11. Trumer Pils, it's a shame because it is a very good beer when not skunked.
  12. Bitterbill

Long gone from my market.(first and only 1 had from the "modern" era was when I bought it on a trip to CO)
    Re XXX, I bought a case online a few years back and hell yes, I was disappointed with the lack of that hop oils punch that made me the fan of it that I was but at least...it passed for a decent AAL. The Rainier Ale I had ended up being a near total drain pour.
  13. slightly related, I have a 1L blue bottle from Highland.
  14. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Little kings always reminds me of a skunk drowning in an over chlorinated pool. Something better has to come out of the Natti.
  15. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

Anyone remember Anheuser "World Select" from 7-8 years ago?
    It was essentially them trying to make a Heineken clone, skunkiness and all.

[​IMG]
    WYVYRN527 and Stormfield like this.
  16. [​IMG]

The Green Death
    Chaz likes this.
  17. Bitterbill

Yep, I remember it and I drank a bottle. I think it was at the local Old Chicago but I know it was light struck...
  18. Bitterbill

For some strange reason, I've always wanted to try it.
  19. Blueribbon666

To each his own, always had a soft spot for Little Kings. I actually think it loses something in that little red bull can they have it in these days, which oddly is 12oz instead of 7oz.
  20. Blueribbon666

Would the world even select it?
  21. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Where I'm from, this is considered the original 'Green Death':
    [​IMG]
    Heileman's Special Export was also favored with this nickname. Stite was also called " Green Lightnin' " by some locals in Minneapolis. Meanwhile, over in Saint Paul we were still spiking our 3.2! ;)
    WYVYRN527 likes this.
  22. Bitterbill

I've never had the one pictured but the Heileman was pretty good when not light struck. It came in cans too, iirc, but they never showed up in town.
  23. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

24. I know I've bought Speedway Stout in a green bottle.
  25. Bitterbill

Get thee away, Yuengling Traditional Lager in green bottles; when I get a hair up me arse...err...a hankering for the beer, I buy it online in CANS!:p
  26. denver10

denver10 Champion (865) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

You are smarter than me.
  27. Bitterbill

I say nay to that reply. Because of its deep amber colour, it may be more resistant to being light struck than I think. Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid...
  28. I first heard the expression on the West Coast, re: the aforementioned Rainier Ale.

I think any higher alcohol ale or malt liquor in green glass was so christened.

Maybe 'cause of the alcohol content and accompanying hangover the next day, maybe 'cause a lightstruck bottle smells like death when first cracked open? :eek:
    Chaz likes this.
  29. Bitterbill

Rainier Ale never resembled those remarks when I drank the hell out of it in the 70s in California. :rolleyes:
    Ahh...you added "accompanying hangover the next day". That was possible.
    Chaz likes this.
  30. Redrover

Redrover Advocate (745) Illinois Jan 18, 2003

I was a big fan of the Speicial Export back in the day. We loved to find a bar that had it the returnable longneck green bottles. We were living large :)
    [​IMG]
    morimech and Chaz like this.
  31. Pics or it didn't happen...
  32. Bitterbill

33. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Another one from around here -- a 'Steinie' quart bottle (supposedly rare?) who knew!:
    [​IMG]
  34. Wow, nice... yeah, I can't think of too many green steinie quarts. Ballantine (far and away the biggest "green bottle" user in the era of the deposit steinie quart) put their ale in so-called "Bumper Bottles" - long neck green glass quarts for returnable/refillables even when their lager beer went into brown steinie quarts. And Yuengling was using brown steinies for Lord Chesterfield even when they used green longneck export 12 oz'ers. Pretty sure the same case for Neuweiler's ales. Hmm... I don't think I've even got a green steinie quart in my collection...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  35. Mark

Mark Advocate (585) California Jun 18, 2001

Trumer Pils bottles in green and have no idea why any one does.
  36. I do remember this beer. I also remember them charging the same prices as their skunky European counterparts.
  37. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

I had it from a can. Surprisingly it wasnt that bad.
  38. rlcoffey

rlcoffey Savant (480) Kentucky Apr 20, 2004

The one that gets me is Stevens Point. They finally became a craft brewery, when, sometime in the last decade? If they had switched late 80s or early 90s, what would they be now? I guess either out of business or a huge national craft player.